Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Favourite Manchester 80's and 90's band?
The Stone Roses 2 11.11%
The Smiths 8 44.44%
Oasis 6 33.33%
The Verve 0 0%
New Order 2 11.11%
Happy Mondays 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Get in ma belly
 
Salami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 1,355
Default Manchester Bands of the 80's and 90's

As we all know some of the best music of these decades came from this very city (pity we're shit these days). I'm interested in seeing what people's favourites are, because some sound very similar (Stone Roses and Oasis) and others are completely unique like the Smiths. Say why you've picked a particular band.

My vote goes to The Smiths, because as a friend of mine likes to say "they have two songs for every emotion". Sometimes they don't need to say much to get a point across, "Death of A Disco Dancer" and "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" being two quite similar examples. As songwriting and music go, they're always among my favourites.
Pity Morrissey is so contemptible!
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Why are Happy Mondays and New Order not on this poll?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Get in ma belly
 
Salami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 1,355
Default

Damn... that's because I'm a nobhead. Can you add them please? I thought I'd put New Order on to be honest, because their frontman did a collaboration with Johnny Marr which I thought ws pretty great.
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 531
Default

Oasis rose up out of playing a few pub gigs and sports halls to become one of the greatest bands to ever come out of the UK. They performed epic pop songs and had a slew of B-side songs that were better then most bands at that time.
neardeathexperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salami View Post
Damn... that's because I'm a nobhead. Can you add them please? I thought I'd put New Order on to be honest, because their frontman did a collaboration with Johnny Marr which I thought ws pretty great.
Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neardeathexperience View Post
Oasis rose up out of playing a few pub gigs and sports halls to become one of the greatest bands to ever come out of the UK. They performed epic pop songs and had a slew of B-side songs that were better then most bands at that time.
That's a pretty bold claim. To me they're just a band with a couple of decent singles but not much else of interest beyond that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,427
Default

The Stone Roses for me. Although bands like The Chameleons deserve to be mentioned.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Done.


That's a pretty bold claim. To me they're just a band with a couple of decent singles but not much else of interest beyond that.
I'd agree with that. They pretty much rode the success of two or three hit singles and dined out on that for years. Though I did like "Stop crying your heart out". Definitely not one of the "greatest bands ever to come out of England" though in my opinion. At a simple off the top of my head I can think of Sabbath, ELO, Zep, Purple, Rainbow, Dio, probably hundreds more...
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
 
Zer0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,791
Default

The Smiths of course, on account of being one of my favourite bands ever and having a solid discography. The Stone Roses and The Chemical Brothers (who should be included btw!) are tied in second place. Both of those bands lose points for releasing at least one or more mediocre albums.

Also weren't The Fall from Manchester?
__________________
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,427
Default

The Fall belong in a category unto their own.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Get in ma belly
 
Salami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 1,355
Default

I thought about putting in The Fall but they started in the seventies (1976-ish?). Oasis had to be there because although many people think they ripped off the Stone Roses, I've met as many people who do prefer them to the Stone Roses.
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.