Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: How Much Did You Enjoy The Album?
Loved it 3 30.00%
Liked it 3 30.00%
Meh 1 10.00%
Disliked it 2 20.00%
Hated it 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #41 (permalink)
Winterland '68
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You thought wrong.

Genuine question: should the bolded read "now"? Otherwise I don't see how that sentence makes sense?
I meant to say ' ... not only have ...'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Nah, just Abacab. And my ****ting on that is entirely justified, from my standpoint.
No, you also did it with Absent Friends, and The Battle of the Effing Forest ... and from my standpoint it's ironic i.e. being a hypercritical of good Genesis songs and being a super-fan of Genesis like youself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Never did. Not sure where you got that. Of course, calling an artist I like talentless or vowing you'd rather listen to ten hours of some music you hate does seem more like a personal attack than a proper music opinion. But hell, you hate Waits all you want. I'm sure he's about as worried over that as I am.
I forgot about that. Come to think of if, I thought I said I would listen to 10 hours of Frownland? I don't recall saying that I hated his music. Give me a minute and I'll try to find the exact quote, and you can mock me for spending too much time finding quotes like you did with "the Nick & Marla incident." brb ... ok I'm back and I found it.

Read 'em and weep:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I would rather listen to ten hours of Frownland than ten seconds of Tom Waits.
I'm right, I never said I hate Frownland music. As I see it, it still holds true. I've listen to an hour of Frownland during the Frownland versus Chula Vista smack down, and it was still better than one second of Tom Waits!

I think that is a Freudian slip on your part. Why would you remember me as hating Frownland's music and translate that into a personal attack, when I never said I hated his (Frown's) music? Maybe perhaps you hate Frown's music?

And I am sure somewhere on this board I mention my dislike for Tom Wait was there even before I ever joined Music Banter and met you. If I didn't make that clear or you forgot about it, you should now take that into consideration. My dislike of Tom Waits, has nothing to do with you liking him, and is in no way a personal attack against you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Hey man, it was you who started it. All I said was the album wasn't for me. If you look, I even say I'm not going to rate it, as I'd give it a low one and that doesn't seem fair, since it's surely not a bad album, just one I don't like.
That is perfectly fine if you don't like it. I am not forcing you to like it, or pushing you in any way to give it a second chance like other members. Not that they are doing wrong. It's just how cool I am with you disliking the album. That doesn't apply with being cool with insults or subterfuge, like pretending to dislike Yma Sumac to get at another Album Club 2017 member. Which you say you are not doing, so I take your word on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Sorry you can't take criticism of your albums without bringing personality into it.
That's part of the appeal to like certain genres, or particular bands is the fact other people don't like it. e.i. Jazz, Punk, or avant garde. People don't get it, don't like it, but I do, so it's cool I know something they don't.

I can understand if it was Captain Beefheart you can't like, but I wasn't expecting that for Yma Sumac. Again it's not personal. It's only a curiosity people don't like the same things. Not a personal attack. No personal attacks. No attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
If it makes you feel any better, you can **** all over my next pick, due up next.
But that is the whole thing. I'm not like that. You are telling me to do that, but I don't do that. However let me make one stipulation: only unless it calls for it. I didn't do that with William Shatner. I didn't " **** all over" William Shatner.

As the saying goes "I guess we have to agree that you're disagreeable."
__________________

“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #42 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,747
Default

**** it, I've enough crap to deal with in my life - and especially today, at this moment - without getting into a pointless argument with you. Basically, if anyone had suggested this album I'd have reacted exactly the same. Personalities don't come into it with me. We'll see what you think of my next pick. It'll be nice if you like it, but I won't care if you hate it. I certainly won't see it as anything personal, unless you choose to make it so.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,943
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Expectations (if any): I really don't know. I'm not a huge fan of salsa style music, but you never know...
The album is called Mambo! and you’re talking about how you don’t like salsa. Now that’s funny.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #44 (permalink)
Call me Mustard
 
rubber soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pepperland
Posts: 1,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
**** it, I've enough crap to deal with in my life - and especially today, at this moment - without getting into a pointless argument with you. Basically, if anyone had suggested this album I'd have reacted exactly the same. Personalities don't come into it with me. We'll see what you think of my next pick. It'll be nice if you like it, but I won't care if you hate it. I certainly won't see it as anything personal, unless you choose to make it so.
Hey, stop posting pictures of Batlord.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
But looking for quality interaction on MB is like trying to stay hydrated by drinking salt water.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #45 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,943
Default

I've owned this album for several years, but decided to give it a fresh listen all the way through for this thread. It's an album I got in the first place because I like exotica a lot—and to a lesser extent because I like mambo. It's a good album, but to be honest I'd probably be more likely to listen to it all the way through if Yma's vocals were not on it because the band is fantastic. It's not that I dislike vocals either—they're quirky and cool and just the kind of thing that makes exotica appealing in the first place—it's just that I need to take them in small doses. For me, this album works best the way I usually listen to it: on shuffle in a playlist filled with Esquivel, Martin Denny, Les Baxter, Robert Drasnin, and Chaino.

7/10
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2018 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.