Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 04:44 AM   #101 (permalink)
ironing your socks
 
WolfAtTheDoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm in a rocknroll band. huh.
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by attack attack View Post
Getting a little defensive are we?
You saw the punch-line, but you missed the point.

If you would like specific reasons to mock me, I'm easy.
>I have no real future.
>I lost a lot of my mind to a decade of drug abuse.
>I didn't graduate high-school, my girlfriend did for me.
>I have nothing better to do with my time then work, drink, and waste away behind a macbook on my patio watching old episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer back to back to back.
>I like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
>I have been playing guitar for ten years and still have "grabby-thumb"
>I live in a 600 square foot apartment with my crazy girlfriend, her 6 rats, 3 cats and 1 bird.
>I sometimes sit when I pee.
>I haven't taken a shower in four days.
>I have slightly off center bottom teeth.
>I have credit card debt.
>I read comics.
>I'm not pretty.
>I'm a bit short.
>I smoke.
>I drink too much.
>And I can't stand when you try to tell me that a band like Blur is worth listening to. Throw on Atlas Strategic, The Books, Modest-Mouse (before Float On), The New Pornographers, anything you can't find at a ****ing Wal-Mart before telling me that Blur can possibly, at any point, be worth drowning out Buffy for.
blur are better than you.
WolfAtTheDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #102 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Posts: 466
Default

atack attack seemingly defence defence!
Blur are a good band and Oasis are a great band.
Blur tended to jump on bandwagons abit in the UK but they did manage to write songs with opposing meanings like girls and boys and parklife.
All about the MacDonaldisation of the UK and hemogeny of our town centres and 18-30 holidays.
They suffered badly as wherever they went people played oasis songs after knebworth put Oasis on top.
Alex is now a rural farmer and the drummer is a politician and Damon likes diverse music collaborations while Oasis play bar room rock and get drunk.
ADELE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:15 PM   #103 (permalink)
Da Hiphopopotamus
 
sweet_nothing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: cloud cuckoo land
Posts: 4,039
Default

What bandwagon did Blur jump on?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
America does folk, hardcore and mathrock better and that's 90% of what I give 2 shits on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartsengrafs View Post
sweet nothing openly flaunts the fact that he is merely the empty shell of an even more unadmirable member. his loneliness and need for attention bleeds through every letter he types. edit: i would just like to add that i'm ashamed that he's from texas. surely you didn't grow up in texas, did you sweet nothing?
sweet_nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #104 (permalink)
Reformed Jackass
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by attack attack View Post
Getting a little defensive are we?
You saw the punch-line, but you missed the point.

If you would like specific reasons to mock me, I'm easy.
>I have no real future.
>I lost a lot of my mind to a decade of drug abuse.
>I didn't graduate high-school, my girlfriend did for me.
>I have nothing better to do with my time then work, drink, and waste away behind a macbook on my patio watching old episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer back to back to back.
>I like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
>I have been playing guitar for ten years and still have "grabby-thumb"
>I live in a 600 square foot apartment with my crazy girlfriend, her 6 rats, 3 cats and 1 bird.
>I sometimes sit when I pee.
>I haven't taken a shower in four days.
>I have slightly off center bottom teeth.
>I have credit card debt.
>I read comics.
>I'm not pretty.
>I'm a bit short.
>I smoke.
>I drink too much.
>And I can't stand when you try to tell me that a band like Blur is worth listening to. Throw on Atlas Strategic, The Books, Modest-Mouse (before Float On), The New Pornographers, anything you can't find at a ****ing Wal-Mart before telling me that Blur can possibly, at any point, be worth drowning out Buffy for.
Like you can't find the New Pornographers at Wal-Mart...
ProggyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #105 (permalink)
ironing your socks
 
WolfAtTheDoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm in a rocknroll band. huh.
Posts: 396
Default

oasis are a pale imitation of what they could have been after their first two albums, in my opinion nothing since has lived up to the hype surrounding them. But in some sort of Primal Scream-esque eternal forgiveness from the public, they are allowed to make **** albums whilst people still adore them. Blur are one of those bands who are very well known, yet not many people know as much by them as they should.

But I also would like to know... what bandwagon has Blur jumped on?
WolfAtTheDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #106 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Posts: 466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfAtTheDoor View Post
oasis are a pale imitation of what they could have been after their first two albums, in my opinion nothing since has lived up to the hype surrounding them. But in some sort of Primal Scream-esque eternal forgiveness from the public, they are allowed to make **** albums whilst people still adore them. Blur are one of those bands who are very well known, yet not many people know as much by them as they should.

But I also would like to know... what bandwagon has Blur jumped on?
Shoe gazing music and manc scene was popular in 89-90 as early blur left middle class colleges and friends got them a deal and the record company liked the manc scene so made them record 'no other way' and dress all flowery. They did what they were told.
That is jumping on the bandwagon.
Secondly they put off the release of country house to get Oasis rivalry with roll with it (a waeker song off the album) to grow their own sales and make people aware of them.
Hence the still touted comparison.
That is hopping on two different musical bandwagons and riding them till they split and moving on.

When people knock Oasis remember that a bands explosion will always be biggest but they have some hits like I said with sunday morning call, let there be love, stop crying your heart out, stand by me etc.
Black Sabbath only ever did one song paranoid and made a career from it.
Oasis couldn't be expected to sing about the same things forever could they?
Bowie didn't, the stones make new albums and we never hear a single song from them as they tour with the oldies.
ADELE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #107 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADELE View Post
the stones make new albums and we never hear a single song from them as they tour with the oldies.
I Guess I must have imagined the 5 songs they played from their last album when I saw them.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #108 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Posts: 466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I Guess I must have imagined the 5 songs they played from their last album when I saw them.
Were they as good as satisfaction or gimme shelter?????
honestly........

Bob Dylan still makes the odd good tune but plenty of albums.

That is why I say accept a bands initial impact then accept the odd gem on each new album
The reason people often say about Oasis first two albums is because they had the biggest impact on UK music since the Beatles or Punk.

Who else knows the Stones making great songs still?
Be honest.
They make some odd gems for people who grew with them like Dylan and Clapton do.
But Oasis had such an impact that people expect too much.
Do you agree Urban?
What happened to Croquill?
Was he barred?
ADELE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:04 AM   #109 (permalink)
Da Hiphopopotamus
 
sweet_nothing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: cloud cuckoo land
Posts: 4,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADELE View Post
Shoe gazing music and manc scene was popular in 89-90 as early blur left middle class colleges and friends got them a deal and the record company liked the manc scene so made them record 'no other way' and dress all flowery. They did what they were told.
That is jumping on the bandwagon.
Secondly they put off the release of country house to get Oasis rivalry with roll with it (a waeker song off the album) to grow their own sales and make people aware of them.
Hence the still touted comparison.
That is hopping on two different musical bandwagons and riding them till they split and moving on.

When people knock Oasis remember that a bands explosion will always be biggest but they have some hits like I said with sunday morning call, let there be love, stop crying your heart out, stand by me etc.
Black Sabbath only ever did one song paranoid and made a career from it.
Oasis couldn't be expected to sing about the same things forever could they?
Bowie didn't, the stones make new albums and we never hear a single song from them as they tour with the oldies.
Blur never considered themselves a shoe gaze band and where dubbed that by the NME because they came out at the right time and place. Also 'they dressed all flowery'? What the hell are you talking about? Also Blur have been around longer than Oasis. And they're was no need to 'get noticed' since their album Parklife was hugley succesful and won many awards such as best album at the Brit awards , so you can throw that entire idea into the trash. The second part of your post is just laughable.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
America does folk, hardcore and mathrock better and that's 90% of what I give 2 shits on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartsengrafs View Post
sweet nothing openly flaunts the fact that he is merely the empty shell of an even more unadmirable member. his loneliness and need for attention bleeds through every letter he types. edit: i would just like to add that i'm ashamed that he's from texas. surely you didn't grow up in texas, did you sweet nothing?
sweet_nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #110 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London
Posts: 466
Default

They came at a time and place you say?
so instead of doing what they wanted to do they did what was best for that time and place you say?
Isn't that jumping bandwagon my sweet foe?
What is laughable about the second half?
Explain if you can.
How come people don't say "oh Blur's albums are full of hits throughout?"
Are they?
No bands albums are but Oasis's first two were so people expected it from them unlike Blur.
I have noticed that people call me laughable etc but noone I have shown these threads thinks I am wrong but wants to know what your arguements are rather then taking the piss ad then skirting around the topic.
ADELE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.