Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #171 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,425
Default

Yep, Closer is a far superior album in my view after listening to both.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #172 (permalink)
 
Zer0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
Yep, Closer is a far superior album in my view after listening to both.
I wouldn't so far as to say 'far superior', but I definitely prefer it to Unknown Pleasures for reasons of my own. They're both incredible albums in their own right.
__________________
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:18 AM   #173 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 41
Default

I can't believe how this band has become "indie" now.

Could've sworn they were part of the goth scene back then... /sigh
daviddouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #174 (permalink)
 
Zer0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddouglas View Post
I can't believe how this band has become "indie" now.

Could've sworn they were part of the goth scene back then... /sigh
Factory Records was one of the pioneering indie labels, and Joy Division were one of its bands. So I guess you say they were one of the original indie bands and the term "indie" has been associated with them for a very long time.

They were not part of the goth scene back then because there was no goth scene back then. Gothic rock didn't manifest itself until the early 80's after Joy Division were gone. But you can definitely say that they were an influence on it through bands like The Sisters Of Mercy, who started off as a Joy Division clone.
__________________
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:31 AM   #175 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Factory Records was one of the pioneering indie labels, and Joy Division were one of its bands. So I guess you say they were one of the original indie bands and the term "indie" has been associated with them for a very long time.

They were not part of the goth scene back then because there was no goth scene back then. Gothic rock didn't manifest itself until the early 80's after Joy Division were gone. But you can definitely say that they were an influence on it through bands like The Sisters Of Mercy, who started off as a Joy Division clone.
Indie was a poor choice of words, What I mean is kids who dig up old bands and pretend to love them just to be different, I don't know what these kids call themselves as I'm not too good with the lingo.... Hipsters? Maybe?
daviddouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #176 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

why do you care so much about why other people listen to a band?
Does it really matter?
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #177 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
why do you care so much about why other people listen to a band?
Does it really matter?
I don't.

It just annoys me that these people seem to think they're better than everyone else just because they have listened to a band... That's the case with people I know anyway, they really annoy me because people who like the band actually know more than one song. These people know one song and claim they are the greatest band in the world and for that reason they think they're better than everyone else.
daviddouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #178 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

I know I'm definitely better than everybody else because I listen to Joy Division.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #179 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
I wouldn't so far as to say 'far superior', but I definitely prefer it to Unknown Pleasures for reasons of my own. They're both incredible albums in their own right.
completely opposite here

UP is more "immediate" whilst Closer is a bit too funereal and suicidal for me
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #180 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I know I'm definitely better than everybody else because I listen to Joy Division.
pfft I know that I'm better than you being better than everybody else because I don't listen to something as indirectly mainstream like Joy Division

__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.