Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2007, 11:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Damn
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
dontcareaboutyou
 
swim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,188
Default

lolz n00dz
__________________
http://nakednaps.bandcamp.com/
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
Such That
 
Bane of your existence's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 1,193
Default

Mad love. "Advice From a Divorced Gentleman" describes my point of view so well.
Bane of your existence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
Me llamo Marijan
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 6,983
Default

Barnes is one of the most eloquent lyricists I've come across...as one geezer on last.fm rightfully noticed, you learn at least one new word with each song. Most of the time I have no idea what he's talking about, but this line just blew me away: "I was a landscape in your dream and all my mountains were on fire."

<3
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
down the rabbit hole
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: the mountain called monkey
Posts: 764
Default

His lyrics are really great. I always have said there is about 1 word per song that I am just like 'wtf does that mean.... google it'.

On a side note, is it possible for anyone to PM me an up for some of the albums I am missing, specifically Cherry Peel and a few of the other early ones.
joyboyo53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Yeah. Of Montreal is a fantastic band. I tend to think that Hissing Fauna is miles better than most everything else they've done, save Satanic Panic In The Attic which falls in at a close second.

The one thing that worries me is that this forum has censored the first word of *** Parade. That level of censorship I find appalling - the word is entirely innocent and not derogatory.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Barnes is one of the most eloquent lyricists I've come across...as one geezer on last.fm rightfully noticed, you learn at least one new word with each song. Most of the time I have no idea what he's talking about, but this line just blew me away: "I was a landscape in your dream and all my mountains were on fire."

<3
You know something, that is a damn good lyric. Having only heard Du Og Meg I never noticed, and seeing all these photos I was a little put off because I hate that gender bending ****, but I'm going to go searching for some other songs because that really is amazing as far as imagery goes.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
You know something, that is a damn good lyric. Having only heard Du Og Meg I never noticed, and seeing all these photos I was a little put off because I hate that gender bending ****, but I'm going to go searching for some other songs because that really is amazing as far as imagery goes.
You'll probably not find too much in terms of great imagery from Barnes. His lyrics for the most part are more on the side of good comedy than anything else. He's not the shrewdest lyricist or wordsmith on earth.

He has, I'd say, some of the weirdest lyrics I've come across anywhere. Not because the content is strange, but because of their being often entirely unpoetic yet of an extremely direct, confessional nature at the same time. You'll see what I mean.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
You'll probably not find too much in terms of great imagery from Barnes. His lyrics for the most part are more on the side of good comedy than anything else. He's not the shrewdest lyricist or wordsmith on earth.

He has, I'd say, some of the weirdest lyrics I've come across anywhere. Not because the content is strange, but because of their being often entirely unpoetic yet of an extremely direct, confessional nature at the same time. You'll see what I mean.
Wrong, this is kind of a bad example but I'm not as knowledged on my Of Montreal as I use to be. There's more to him than his wit, much more. "There are blackbirds in rows behind the clouds / Pecking at the clouds, poking holes in the clouds / Rain pours out of the holds in the clouds / When the clouds are empty / The birds climb inside and sing / I don't mind a rainy day / It doesn't make me blue like it's supposed to / But I don't like this lonely life / It really makes me blue like it's supposed to." Hardly comedic, he's a very versatile lyricist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
The one thing that worries me is that this forum has censored the first word of *** Parade. That level of censorship I find appalling - the word is entirely innocent and not derogatory.
It's not something we can fix, it's automatically put in the censor filter.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
Wrong, this is kind of a bad example but I'm not as knowledged on my Of Montreal as I use to be. There's more to him than his wit, much more. "There are blackbirds in rows behind the clouds / Pecking at the clouds, poking holes in the clouds / Rain pours out of the holds in the clouds / When the clouds are empty / The birds climb inside and sing / I don't mind a rainy day / It doesn't make me blue like it's supposed to / But I don't like this lonely life / It really makes me blue like it's supposed to." Hardly comedic, he's a very versatile lyricist.
But he's at his best and at the height of his skills really only when he's comedic. Don't get me wrong, he has his sublime moments. But I'd say they tend to be more the exception than the rule. Well, let's say this: I know Of Montreal best from Aldhils Arboretum onwards. I'm not so familiar with their pre-millenium stuff. So direct me, if you feel I'm missing the mark.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.