Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Friday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dear Old Blighty
Posts: 253
Default

Pssht, Indie Kids dont listen to new Indie music anymore, even though we helped to publicise it, advertise it and mould it into the mainstream giant it is today. I love how fickle we are as a culture.
__________________
www.myspace.com/ch3ssclub

Last edited by Friday; 01-09-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
If there are 'loads of good British indie bands' around nobody is posting about them here , playing their music anywhere or even talking about them anywhere else which leads me to believe there isn't any bar the odd band.
Exactly my sentiment. They receive virtually no critical attention whether positive OR negative, magazines like NME don't even include them in their top 20 lists as they'd otherwise be expected to do if they thought there was anything worth mentioning... Why should anybody believe that there is anything new aside from the constant barrage of New Wave/Post-Libertines rip-off acts? It is, as you worded it, the odd band here and there.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Occasionally Curmudgeonly
 
Mr Nic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Exactly my sentiment. They receive virtually no critical attention whether positive OR negative, magazines like NME don't even include them in their top 20 lists as they'd otherwise be expected to do if they thought there was anything worth mentioning... Why should anybody believe that there is anything new aside from the constant barrage of New Wave/Post-Libertines rip-off acts? It is, as you worded it, the odd band here and there.
OK, so I may have been stretching the truth when I said 'plenty of bands'. On reflection, I realise how there are few new British Indie bands that've really excited me in the past year. Pah!
Mr Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nic View Post
OK, so I may have been stretching the truth when I said 'plenty of bands'. On reflection, I realise how there are few new British Indie bands that've really excited me in the past year. Pah!
Out of interest, would you consider yourself part of the scene? If so, what do you think the main problems are that have led to this ridiculous decline? And tell me, are people generally really excited about some of these terrible new unsigned bands or do they deep down kinda realize that the scene's got a bit lame?
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
Occasionally Curmudgeonly
 
Mr Nic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Out of interest, would you consider yourself part of the scene? If so, what do you think the main problems are that have led to this ridiculous decline? And tell me, are people generally really excited about some of these terrible new unsigned bands or do they deep down kinda realize that the scene's got a bit lame?
I'm probably too old to be considered part of the scene but I do have an (un)healthy addiction to new music. I think that one of the main problems that has led to the decline is the upsurge in social networking sites like MySpaz, which tends to spawn a plethora of crap in the hopes of replicating an Arctic Monkeys style world domination scenario.

In the past, finding new music was a real journey - you had to make an effort to go to gigs and find radio or TV shows that might just play a few minutes of something good. Now it's too easy to look on the web, read NME, watch MTV2 or listen to Zane Lowe and just be 'told' what you should be listening to. It's good that there are so many outlets for new music but it's also limiting if your band doesn't quite fit the profile of what the media deems to be 'cool' this week. And yes, I do think they realise that deep down the scene and many of the bands are indeed lame.

Oh, by the way - I agree that Los Campesinos are one of the best new UK Indie bands of 2007 along with Fields and a handful of others!
Mr Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
GravitySlips's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,578
Default

Ashtray Navigations.
GravitySlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

OK thats 3
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 58
Default

The Libertines were my favorite band ever when they came out (thats my signature) but i think that there are still a few fair British indie rock bands out there. But Then again, im not sure as to waht we classify indie as? are the Arcitic Monkeys, The Babyshambles, Dirty Pretty Things, Yeti, The Paddingtons etc. indie?
__________________
Is it cruel or kind
Not too speak my mind
And to lie to you
Rather than hurt you?
For after several large gins
He'll confess all of his sins
But still he'll hide from you
Hide what's inside from you
Mockingbird! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

As the definition of indie these days seems to be any white guitar band who don't play metal , I suppose they are.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
As the definition of indie these days seems to be any white guitar band who don't play metal , I suppose they are.
They're also extremely mediocre bands, the lotovem, except for the Arctics, who I think probably have enough good about them to not be relegated to pure averageness.

As for
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Slips
Ashtray Navigations.
, then, um, they've been around for like almost 20 years. Nice try.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.