Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 12:41 AM   #41 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

I hear Def Leppard is staging a big comeback
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:54 AM   #42 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
Your logic is awful because it isn't consistent. The Holloways got started in 2004 (not very new) Reverend And The Makers (2005) and other bands in this thread I won't bother with have all been around. Most bands don't pull an Arctic Monkeys and blow up soon after forming. All the 'new bands' aren't that 'new' (just going by your logic) so I really have no idea what to think of your argument. Basically you want to bitch about the current state of the radio which I don't understand because you guys don't have it that bad. I'd rather listen to the The Hoosiers and the Kooks than 50 Cent and Britney Spears.
Alright. You have a point about the "newness" of Reverend, and the Holloways, etc. Though I was using them more as an example of the type of more recent acts British indie kids in the main seem to be getting excited about these days. The mention of those bands is incidental to the point that virtually nothing good (bar a few exceptions, though I still don't know who they are) is coming out of the current wave of bands. If somebody were to counter this by brining in Reverend, The Holloways etc, then first I'd say they are cr*p, but I'd add to that that they don't really count from a temporal standpoint. Even less so, Patrick Wolf.

And believe me, we don't have the radio any better than you guys. Only difference is that perhaps one (or two?) major stations are dedicated to Adult Alternative music, and in the UK that includes all the Album Rock lamage us Brits can muster. Eh, there's also a station called XFM. Who are extremely dedicated to playing nothing but ::COUGHcommercially successful::COUGH Indie music.

My main criticism is levied a bunch of mindless kids who think they're doing something profound and fascinating by imitating the Libertines, and now all of a sudden, ripping off the Arctic Monkeys.

Last edited by Rainard Jalen; 01-15-2008 at 02:42 AM.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:26 AM   #43 (permalink)
Me llamo Marijan
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 6,983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
S

On another point, are we going to completely disregard the Klaxons now?
Lol...can't believe I forgot about them...
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:44 AM   #44 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
I hear Def Leppard is staging a big comeback
I'm not that bothered , they're pretty 'armless.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #45 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Friday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dear Old Blighty
Posts: 253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Lol...can't believe I forgot about them...
Well the way I see it, the fact we're using The Libertines as the last big marker in British Indie is pretty ignorant really. Seeing as The Klaxons gathered a huge amount of media attention last year from the NME, aswell as their album Myths of the Near Future being awarded the Mercury Prize. Not to mention the fact they've spawned new-rave, a genre of questionable existence.
__________________
www.myspace.com/ch3ssclub
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #46 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

I still think !!! deserve far more credit than The Klaxons for New Rave.
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #47 (permalink)
Me llamo Marijan
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 6,983
Default

New rave is a fictional genre supposedly crafted by the Klaxon boys, !!! and Klaxons have very little to do with each other musically...and neither are new rave, really...
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:56 PM   #48 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Alright. You have a point about the "newness" of Reverend, and the Holloways, etc. Though I was using them more as an example of the type of more recent acts British indie kids in the main seem to be getting excited about these days.
What bands are they? You've yet to mention any that qualify as "old" by your standards.

Quote:
The mention of those bands is incidental to the point that virtually nothing good (bar a few exceptions, though I still don't know who they are) is coming out of the current wave of bands. If somebody were to counter this by brining in Reverend, The Holloways etc, then first I'd say they are cr*p, but I'd add to that that they don't really count from a temporal standpoint. Even less so, Patrick Wolf.
You're the one who brought them up. It's pretty sad you're creating this whole argument about how awful these bands are but can't even list one.

Quote:
And believe me, we don't have the radio any better than you guys. Only difference is that perhaps one (or two?) major stations are dedicated to Adult Alternative music, and in the UK that includes all the Album Rock lamage us Brits can muster. Eh, there's also a station called XFM. Who are extremely dedicated to playing nothing but ::COUGHcommercially successful::COUGH Indie music.
It's pretty hard to gather that radio there is bad when you treat it like "british indie scene" is a synonym with "mainstream music."

Quote:
My main criticism is levied a bunch of mindless kids who think they're doing something profound and fascinating by imitating the Libertines, and now all of a sudden, ripping off the Arctic Monkeys.
And so you make a general statement about the entire indie scene bashing it when you don't know much of it? I can think of more bands from Britain doing something new than I can think of ripping off the Libertines or Arctic Monkeys.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #49 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

The point is a few years ago there were 3 weekly music papers all competing looking for new acts to break , you didn't like the acts one paper wrote about , you simply bought another. Now the NME are the only one around , if you don't like the acts they push , too bad thats all your getting. If the NME don't like you it's tough **** , that's basically all your exposure gone.

Same with Radio 1 , Radio 1 may play the same kind of crap any commercial station does during the day but because it didn't have the limitations of a commercial station during the evening it could break new acts & play music with a minority interest , and people like John Peel & Steve Lamacq did do that. Now that Peel has died & Lamacq has left they replaced them both with some faceless dance DJ & some reject from MTV thus cutting down exposure for new & minority acts down. This happened 3 to 4 years ago and now the result of it is very little of interest getting exposure. You can't cut off 2 of the main ways of getting an audience and expect things to be the same a few years down the line.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #50 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
What bands are they? You've yet to mention any that qualify as "old" by your standards.

You're the one who brought them up. It's pretty sad you're creating this whole argument about how awful these bands are but can't even list one.

It's pretty hard to gather that radio there is bad when you treat it like "british indie scene" is a synonym with "mainstream music."

And so you make a general statement about the entire indie scene bashing it when you don't know much of it? I can think of more bands from Britain doing something new than I can think of ripping off the Libertines or Arctic Monkeys.
We---hell...there were enough sweeping statements to respond to there than are even worth my while. Here's a pretty major hint, though: try to understand what other people are saying first before responding to them. You haven't really got that far yet. What's "pretty sad" is that you're arguing for the sake of arguing, and you know it full well. Spend your time better and actually tell of these wonderful new things happening in the scene that you seem to "know" about.

The radio point was responding to what you were saying about radio. I had not previously brought up radio in this thread to my knowledge. I'm not interested in it and don't listen to it - except for the routine playlist check from time to time, and that I can do on their websites.

As for not knowing much of the scene, I go through all the mags, a hell of a lot of review sites, and get bands recommended to me by people in the scene pretty much on a daily basis. I go on their lousy myspace blogs and listen. I'm not talking from nothing here. You want a long list of useless acts of 2006 to the present date, I'll post'em. Don't see where it gets us exactly. Besides, I MADE THIS THREAD BECAUSE I WANT TO BE DIRECTED TO DECENT ONES. What part of that do you not understand? I'm dismissing what I know and have been exposed to for a long while now. I'm not denying that there's something better. I just want to see what and where it is. You can either help in that regard, or you can keep arguing and trying to look smart. Either way, I'm not interested in those sorts of games. I'm here for a civil discussion. Not a petty argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
"I've been hearing about him since 2003 when his first album just dropped which didn't sell very well or get any radio play" really just means "I just don't want to be proven wrong so I'm going to lie."
Finally, I just noticed this. Like, what the hell? First of all, I'm a Wolf fan. SECONDLY, and more importantly, it wouldn't have proven me wrong. I'm making statements about the general state of the scene. Of course there are good things coming out here and there from time to time. I won't count Wolf simply for the reasons that he's already got 3 albums out and has been active for many years. He's not new in the sense I'd intended. But again, more importantly, even if I count him, it makes no difference to the essence of my claim.

Last edited by Rainard Jalen; 01-15-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.