Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007, 06:11 AM   #31 (permalink)
Such That
 
Bane of your existence's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 1,193
Default

Mad love.
Bane of your existence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #32 (permalink)
n/a
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 990
Default

Haha iron and wine has gone electronic.
pheurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:02 AM   #33 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,382
Default

This new "boy with a coin" song is some of the best work I think he's done. What I like about I&W is that he uses all devices to create a mood. Its not moody like the atmospheric garbage that gets coined as revolutionary even when its the same repackaged feedback they stole from their predecessors.

The instruments are characters and feeling and events in an iron and wine song, and I really think this is up there with my favorite tracks from Mr. Beam.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #34 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
This new "boy with a coin" song is some of the best work I think he's done. What I like about I&W is that he uses all devices to create a mood. Its not moody like the atmospheric garbage that gets coined as revolutionary even when its the same repackaged feedback they stole from their predecessors.
Uh, you realize Iron and Wine sounds exactly like Nick Drake right? That falls under stealing from your predecessors category.

Anyway, theres only a few songs I sort of like, the woman king ep having the most of it. I can't really get into much of it though because I think Drake does it better. Is the new album any different or still the same old stuff?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #35 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Ornette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 100
Default

New album is like Woman King but even better and more textured and full-sounding, plus the songs are really great.
Ornette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:04 PM   #36 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

I may like it then.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #37 (permalink)
Me and The Major
 
The Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,830
Default

He doesn't sound EXACTLY like Drake...... but it's fairly close.
The Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #38 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
Uh, you realize Iron and Wine sounds exactly like Nick Drake right? That falls under stealing from your predecessors category.

Anyway, theres only a few songs I sort of like, the woman king ep having the most of it. I can't really get into much of it though because I think Drake does it better. Is the new album any different or still the same old stuff?
You know that your statement is subjective right? And furthermore, I will fight fire with fire and say you're a deaf bastard and that he sounds nothing like drake. Airy vocals predate drake himself, and I don't think anyone heralded I&W as the next giant revolutionary thing.

Did you even listen to the song before you hopped in here and got your condescension on?
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #39 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
You know that your statement is subjective right? And furthermore, I will fight fire with fire and say you're a deaf bastard and that he sounds nothing like drake. Airy vocals predate drake himself, and I don't think anyone heralded I&W as the next giant revolutionary thing.
I wasn't just talking about vocals, the whole whispery airy vocals over finger picked strumming combination acoustic guitar style IS something they both do, and Nick Drake did it first, so I don't understand how you can say he isn't repackaged feedback stolen from his predecessors when he is, he isn't original. Of course I could have misinterpreted your post, which wouldn't be that shocking and since when is sound subjective? You can say the Who sounds like 50 cent, that won't make it true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Did you even listen to the song before you hopped in here and got your condescension on?
You shouldn't really criticize anyone for being condescending, and yes I heard it, other than the added instruments it didn't sound much different though the fuller sound was nicer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #40 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I wasn't just talking about vocals, the whole whispery airy vocals over finger picked strumming combination acoustic guitar style IS something they both do, and Nick Drake did it first, so I don't understand how you can say he isn't repackaged feedback stolen from his predecessors when he is, he isn't original. Of course I could have misinterpreted your post, which wouldn't be that shocking and since when is sound subjective? You can say the Who sounds like 50 cent, that won't make it true.
Well since I was comparing the atmosphere he creates with the (not to be confused with) atmospheric stuff most of the electronic acts create I'm comparing apples and oranges to illustrate the differences of my meaning. On top of that, given that he finger picks and uses airy vocals, how is he not ripping off Paul Simon then?

Quote:
You shouldn't really criticize anyone for being condescending, and yes I heard it, other than the added instruments it didn't sound much different though the fuller sound was nicer.
And you know, everyone uses this against me when I'm kicking their ass, but lets be honest, before this provocation, I could have cited two examples of you engaging in that activity in this post alone.

I just don't see the need to come into a thread and say "hey i never really like this guy because [act x] does it better." I'm not suggesting it get weeded out, but I fail to see the constructive nature of such posts.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.