Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
I think this is a phenomenon that predominates in the US as well. As recently as a few years ago we've been encountering numerous "alternative" bands that are just re-hashed, re-packaged generic post-grunge crap that's been on the radio for years.
Eh. It also REALLY pisses me off that the term 'alternative rock' has been hijacked Stateside. I mean, HELL, the music they refer to is by-and-large the only rock there is in the mainstream, period, so "alternative" to WHAT exactly?

I think, though, that this terminological problem initially crept up in the 90s. Prior to the onset of post-grunge, 'alternative rock' had been used to describe bands that were just that: alternative. American Underground, College Rock, and yes, Grunge, which emerged directly from the underground. All such music had yet to make an impact on mainstream tastes. People continued to listen to hard rock/power rock/whatever...Bon Jovi, and other shameless 80s pop rock crap. And then Nirvana happened......

Most everything else went thoroughly out of fashion. Suddenly, you were either 'grunge' or you were nothing. Everybody became a copycat act, each subsequent new act with increasingly bold mainstream aspirations.

What the media forgot to apply, in the midst of it, was one small but crucial piece of reasoning: once something becomes the standard and the norm, it ceases to be the "alternative". And yet the term stuck.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Eh. It also REALLY pisses me off that the term 'alternative rock' has been hijacked Stateside. I mean, HELL, the music they refer to is by-and-large the only rock there is in the mainstream, period, so "alternative" to WHAT exactly?
The first bands to earn the nomenclature "alternative" bands were American, not British, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Sonic Youth, REM, Fugazi (not to mention king of all cosmos Nirvana) were all American acts centric to the beginnings of "alternative" music.

I absolutely hate the term, though.
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #13 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
The first bands to earn the nomenclature "alternative" bands were American, not British, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Sonic Youth, REM, Fugazi (not to mention king of all cosmos Nirvana) were all American acts centric to the beginnings of "alternative" music.

I absolutely hate the term, though.
You misunderstand my meaning. Yes, the term is American in origin. What I meant is that I resent how it was later hijacked by the media in the light of post-grunge.

I think it's a perfectly good term to use in reference to underground/independent rock music - the meaning would in that case be accurate - "alternative" to the manufactured, mass-produced popular stuff in the mainstream.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
I think this is a phenomenon that predominates in the US as well. As recently as a few years ago we've been encountering numerous "alternative" bands that are just re-hashed, re-packaged generic post-grunge crap that's been on the radio for years.
Ick man you aren't kidding. Here in Houston people view Alternative as "white trash music" because of all the pop-grunge with southern vocal-twang ****!
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
insinkerator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 95
Default

This is why i dont like indie. *lifted from a social networking site, music interests section"

INDIE BBY:P !!! I luv the fray- how to save a life, all at once and little house....u no urself lik!! Fav band at the mo....defo ...Scouting 4 girls....she's so lovely....heartbeat.......elv is ain't dead...................It's not about u!!!
insinkerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

God...
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
insinkerator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: IRELAND
Posts: 95
Default

yes. I would link you to the profile, but i dont wanna get caught throwing links around the internet

It really is painful isnt it.
insinkerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

Yeah, some people and the internet... shrt ctz n' unnesacry tings...........................jst OMG LOOL!A
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insinkerator View Post

INDIE BBY:P !!! I luv the fray- how to save a life, all at once and little house....u no urself lik!! Fav band at the mo....defo ...Scouting 4 girls....she's so lovely....heartbeat.......elv is ain't dead...................It's not about u!!!
What the fuck man? When did correct grammar become so uncool? I really don't even understand what she's trying to say after "I luv the fray", I mean c'mon...

ps. please post the link to this so called "post"...
Farfisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

No please do. I would like to see replys to that.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.