Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #21 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvan Cowboy View Post
The only band that fits that criteria is Animal Collective, and it's members. That's it.
Boards of Canada? Tbh every modern band you love seems to be fapped over by the indie kids you insult so often. It's a little hypocritical.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
Groupie
 
AudioNutrition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
I think if something stands the test of time, it makes for a good album - more so than say, something that was popular for a little while but become tiresome after a certain amount of time. Of course, albums that have an influence on the music industry are good albums (in theory, but then music is subjective as you say.) but them type of albums HAVE stood the test of time, because they've left a lasting impression.

Best Coast's Crazy for You was a decent enough listen, but it sounded quite generic and pretty typical. I certainly don't think it'll have too much of an impact.

I can see this debate going further than it needs to... You could say that any popular form of music these days is pretty generic, but that would going unnecessarily far for the sake of justification. They are both great bands, I agree with you that Girls music has the potential to be popular for a longer period of time... whether its better however, is an opinion we are both entitled to.
AudioNutrition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #23 (permalink)
Groupie
 
AudioNutrition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post


He has a point tbf

That made me LOL!
AudioNutrition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioNutrition View Post
I can see this debate going further than it needs to... You could say that any popular form of music these days is pretty generic, but that would going unnecessarily far for the sake of justification. They are both great bands, I agree with you that Girls music has the potential to be popular for a longer period of time... whether its better however, is an opinion we are both entitled to.
Aye, like I said before - different strokes for different folks.
It is just a fad, but it's quite an enjoyable one.
Better than the Nu-Metal fad a few years ago.
Jesus Christ that was dire.

I haven't seen you about before now, did you have an intro thread?
I never bothered with one of them when I signed up.
Where abouts in the UK are you from?
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
Groupie
 
AudioNutrition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
Aye, like I said before - different strokes for different folks.
It is just a fad, but it's quite an enjoyable one.
Better than the Nu-Metal fad a few years ago.
Jesus Christ that was dire.

I haven't seen you about before now, did you have an intro thread?
I never bothered with one of them when I signed up.
Where abouts in the UK are you from?
Haha oh dear, is there nothing we can agree on? I'm into the whole nu-metal thing... limp bizkit, slipknot, korn etc. (sorry lol)

Urm I have been on this forum before and read a few threads, I only signed up this morning. Kind of in support of a music blog I started up a few days ago, for networking purposes and stuff. No, I didn't have an intro thread, although I may post one. I'm from Nottingham, your'e from Manchester I believe I saw?
AudioNutrition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #26 (permalink)
Basscadet
 
Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antarctica
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Boards of Canada? Tbh every modern band you love seems to be fapped over by the indie kids you insult so often. It's a little hypocritical.
A list of modern bands I like that pitchfork doesn't like or hasn't reviewed:
The Mars Volta
Storm&Stress
Extra Life
VHS Head (they only reviewed the EP, not the new album)
!!! (pitchfork seems to think !!! is "Just okay", and they haven't been hyped at all)

also, BOC are currently dead to me because they're being too secretive.
__________________
I AM A DEAF CON OF ANGORA GOATS
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #27 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,355
Default

Deftones are fantastic and they are often called Nu Metal.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #28 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

I can't even articulate how dire Nu-Metal is, it genuinely disgusts me.
I'm sure there's some stuff we'll agree on.
We may find some common ground.

You should start an intro thread and list a few of your favourite bands, so everyone can judge you.
My friend recently moved to Nottingham, from Manchester.
With his girlfriend/fiance of 4 months at the time.
The absolute fucking pillock.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvan Cowboy View Post
A list of modern bands I like that pitchfork doesn't like or hasn't reviewed:
The Mars Volta
Storm&Stress
Extra Life
VHS Head (they only reviewed the EP, not the new album)
!!! (pitchfork seems to think !!! is "Just okay", and they haven't been hyped at all)

also, BOC are currently dead to me because they're being too secretive.
Godspeed You! Black Emperor?
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
Basscadet
 
Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antarctica
Posts: 1,244
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
Godspeed You! Black Emperor?
Just because I like a few bands that pitchfork likes doesn't mean I'm pure indie kid.
__________________
I AM A DEAF CON OF ANGORA GOATS
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #30 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Deftones are fantastic and they are often called Nu Metal.
Are they?

I thought they were Alt Rock/Experimental Rock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvan Cowboy View Post
Just because I like a few bands that pitchfork likes doesn't mean I'm pure indie kid.


ROFLCOPTER!!!!11ONE¬1
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.