Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ethertopia
Posts: 38
Default HEALTH: underrated?

I recently saw HEALTH perform live. They definitely made an impression on me. I'd say they have the best use of hard-hitting synths since Downward Spiral. No one seems to know about them or blog much about them. They really seem to have potential. Anyone else think they might become commercially viable?
Stornock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,426
Default

I'm not sure if they are underrated because I am not really sure what following they have, but I think they are a really interesting band. They use very unique tones and somehow make their instruments sound different to anything I've heard before at times. Some of their songs are duds, but their best stuff is amazing.

Definitely underrated on MB though.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ethertopia
Posts: 38
Default

What music scene do you think they fit into? They're sort of a puzzle to me; I mean a lot of it sounds like some sort of alternative metal, but they seem to fit in better with indie groups, maybe even EDM.
Stornock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,426
Default

They are in the indie hipster circle I'd say. Death Grips, Blanck Mass, Tobacco and Battles etc.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Engorged Member
 
sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,536
Default

I'd only heard a little bit from them prior to their latest album, namely because Clark remixed one several years back and it sounded great. I remember checking out the album Get Color as a result, but it didn't do much for me. Years passed without me thinking of them, and when Death Magic was announced it seemed interesting. When I actually started listening to it, I found it pretty damn cheesy to be honest. I don't remember everything that rubbed me the wrong way but part of it was the metal bits in some or most of the songs. I don't think it worked and found it pretty corny. I may have also found the vocals lame or something. I should probably give at least the samples a quick listen to jog my memory, but the album was not at all as dark as they think it is. Honestly, it kept giving me Hot Topic vibes.

I'd call their sound synthpunk/noise pop/electropop.
__________________
last.fm | my collection on RYM | vinyl instagram @allthatyouseeandhear
I'd love to see your signature/links too, but the huge and obnoxious ones have caused me to block all signatures.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
I'd only heard a little bit from them prior to their latest album, namely because Clark remixed one several years back and it sounded great. I remember checking out the album Get Color as a result, but it didn't do much for me. Years passed without me thinking of them, and when Death Magic was announced it seemed interesting. When I actually started listening to it, I found it pretty damn cheesy to be honest. I don't remember everything that rubbed me the wrong way but part of it was the metal bits in some or most of the songs. I don't think it worked and found it pretty corny. I may have also found the vocals lame or something. I should probably give at least the samples a quick listen to jog my memory, but the album was not at all as dark as they think it is. Honestly, it kept giving me Hot Topic vibes.

I'd call their sound synthpunk/noise pop/electropop.
Health's only good record was Health
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Engorged Member
 
sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthefacts View Post
Health's only good record was Health
Good to know.

I'm listening to the samples on Amazon right now to jog my memory, and yeah, this sounds corny as hell. The vocals and lyrics are awful, totally Hot Topic. Makes me think of Pet Shop Boys too often, also. It's just got this really bad glossy quality to it and yeah, those metal bits, lol. I'd say if you combine Linkin Park and Pet Shop Boys it might sound like this.

Edit: I just listened to the samples for Health and it definitely seems more interesting. The blending of genres seems more authentic and calculated, in a Mr. Bungle kind of way, as opposed to canned like on Death Magic.
__________________
last.fm | my collection on RYM | vinyl instagram @allthatyouseeandhear
I'd love to see your signature/links too, but the huge and obnoxious ones have caused me to block all signatures.

Last edited by sidewinder; 10-23-2015 at 03:25 PM.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
Good to know.

I'm listening to the samples on Amazon right now to jog my memory, and yeah, this sounds corny as hell. The vocals and lyrics are awful, totally Hot Topic. Makes me think of Pet Shop Boys too often, also. It's just got this really bad glossy quality to it and yeah, those metal bits, lol. I'd say if you combine Linkin Park and Pet Shop Boys it might sound like this.

Edit: I just listened to the samples for Health and it definitely seems more interesting. The blending of genres seems more authentic and calculated, in a Mr. Bungle kind of way, as opposed to canned like on Death Magic.
That's exactly why I stopped listening to them after their self-titled. Too glossy and overproduced. They work well with their lo-fi noise approach. Like you said, more authentic.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ethertopia
Posts: 38
Default

I stand by my claim that some of their work (namely their self-titled album) is authentic noisesque material, though I agree they've evolved into overproduced pop that attempts to sound different. Does anyone know of any new noise/next generation industrial bands that do what Health is attempting properly?
Stornock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.