Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2017, 08:17 PM   #31 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
priestofsyrinx2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 73
Default

I've been here long enough to know that, pal. But I don't think it's that hard to take it elsewhere, eh?
priestofsyrinx2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:46 PM   #32 (permalink)
PuNk is UnDeAd
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 10,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by priestofsyrinx2112 View Post
I see a lot of similarities with Doolittle and Surfer Rosa though. Could they really be different genres?
They're totally different beasts from my perspective

Doolittle sounds like an arena rock album to me, it's much more textured

Surfer Rosa and Pilgrim are gnarly punk rock albums at their core
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
Release the Bats! Release the Bats!
Pump them up and explode the things
Her legs are chafed by sticky wings
elphenor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:33 AM   #33 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by priestofsyrinx2112 View Post
Are they really post punk though? I see the alt rock though.
Not in the typical sounds you'd think of, more in a, some of their music resembles regular punk music but it's done in a different way. Their early stuff is punk to me. The later I coincidentally don't care for :P
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:39 AM   #34 (permalink)
ʇɔᴉpp∀ ɔᴉsnW
 
Gigantic Debaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NO
Posts: 373
Default

I HEARD SOMEBODY TALKIN SHIET

Nah, but seriously tho, what more do you really want, they are basically a punk band with some influence from Surf Rock & Latin-american music plus weird lyrics about incest'n'sh*t. And then aliens.
Don't push yourself to try to like them, though. If you dig it you do, and if you don't, you don't. Maybe abandon it for a while and then come back to it later?

Funny how when I joined here I would've been ecstatic to see such a long discussion about Pixies, but now I'm just kind of lukewarm. Still love 'em but I re-visit their albums pretty rarely these days.
__________________
lasty|rate-y music-y
Gigantic Debaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:41 PM   #35 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,364
Default

I find it weird how little people actually call the early stuff punk. Why is it that anything not stereotypically punk doesn't often get seen as punk?

(Inb4 elphenor greenday comment)
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #36 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
priestofsyrinx2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantic Debaser View Post
I HEARD SOMEBODY TALKIN SHIET

Nah, but seriously tho, what more do you really want, they are basically a punk band with some influence from Surf Rock & Latin-american music plus weird lyrics about incest'n'sh*t. And then aliens.
Don't push yourself to try to like them, though. If you dig it you do, and if you don't, you don't. Maybe abandon it for a while and then come back to it later?

Funny how when I joined here I would've been ecstatic to see such a long discussion about Pixies, but now I'm just kind of lukewarm. Still love 'em but I re-visit their albums pretty rarely these days.
This kind of really helps. Debaser showed what I really want. A long description about the Pixies style of music. Cause I do like the Pixies, but I can't put my finger on what their style is. If I can't analyze a bands style of music, I'm confused on whether I like it or whether I don't.
priestofsyrinx2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:45 PM   #37 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
priestofsyrinx2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 73
Default

I watched an interview with Black Francis saying that Pixies doesn't really have style. They just play and play until something sound's cool. Do you think that this is an accurate depiction? Does Pixies have no style?
priestofsyrinx2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #38 (permalink)
Jacob Sartorius
 
Blank.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Dank memes
Posts: 4,023
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by priestofsyrinx2112 View Post
I watched an interview with Black Francis saying that Pixies doesn't really have style. They just play and play until something sound's cool. Do you think that this is an accurate depiction? Does Pixies have no style?
Artists say that all the time. The truth is all bands have a style whether they do it on purpose or subconsciously. That style will change over time.
__________________
MODS HAVE BIG GAY!
Blank. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #39 (permalink)
PuNk is UnDeAd
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 10,676
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by priestofsyrinx2112 View Post
If I can't analyze a bands style of music, I'm confused on whether I like it or whether I don't.
lol
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
Release the Bats! Release the Bats!
Pump them up and explode the things
Her legs are chafed by sticky wings
elphenor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:08 PM   #40 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
priestofsyrinx2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 73
Default

Watz so funny?
priestofsyrinx2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.