Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Introductions
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 08:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Groupie
 
missMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4
Default Hi everyone!

Hello, I'm an aspiring singer/songwriter from Italy. I'm a fan of all things metal with a melodic twist to it, also love listening to classical music for inspiration!

Talking to other musicians about band life and composition always helps me create new material, hoping to find some of that convo here
missMorgue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Just Keep Swimming...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: See signature...
Posts: 4,881
Default

Welcome to MB missMorgue. I too am a fan of metal with a melodic twist.

What are some artists you like?
__________________
See location...
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Groupie
 
missMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4
Post

Lately I've been listening a lot to Symphony X, their latest album has a lot of cool melodies but really can't get over the divine wings of tragedy

Arch Enemy have written some of the most beautiful melodic guitars that you can find I think, and Nightwish caused me to start studying music in the first place, but I've also discovered a lot of Italian bands since I moved here from Finland. The melodic/prog scene doesn't get that much attention up North so it was a pleasant surprise to hear groups like Ancient Bards and DGM!
missMorgue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
.
 
Overcast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: .
Posts: 1,526
Default

Welcome to MB.
Overcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Just Keep Swimming...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: See signature...
Posts: 4,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missMorgue View Post
Lately I've been listening a lot to Symphony X, their latest album has a lot of cool melodies but really can't get over the divine wings of tragedy

Arch Enemy have written some of the most beautiful melodic guitars that you can find I think, and Nightwish caused me to start studying music in the first place, but I've also discovered a lot of Italian bands since I moved here from Finland. The melodic/prog scene doesn't get that much attention up North so it was a pleasant surprise to hear groups like Ancient Bards and DGM!
This (bolded) is interesting. Care to give an example?
__________________
See location...
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Groupie
 
missMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks Overcast!

Plankton, Arch Enemy somehow (almost) always manage to fit in very melodic guitars in the general fury of their music - oftentimes lingering on various minor scales of course. Love the way they create themes with the guitars.

Like the part on Ravenous which makes you want to sing along as loud as you can, or why not Silverwing which is almost all melody.
While the technical mastery of Michael Amott may be disputable he's definitely got an ear for catchy tunes
missMorgue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,740
Default

Welcome Miss M. I look forward to endless discussions and arguments between yourself and our resident guitar god, Plankton.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Just Keep Swimming...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: See signature...
Posts: 4,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missMorgue View Post
Thanks Overcast!

Plankton, Arch Enemy somehow (almost) always manage to fit in very melodic guitars in the general fury of their music - oftentimes lingering on various minor scales of course. Love the way they create themes with the guitars.

Like the part on Ravenous which makes you want to sing along as loud as you can, or why not Silverwing which is almost all melody.
While the technical mastery of Michael Amott may be disputable he's definitely got an ear for catchy tunes
I see what you mean. He's using a type of folk riff against that heavy riff backdrop. Kind of dichotomistic. I've never listened to them. Cool stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Welcome Miss M. I look forward to endless discussions and arguments between yourself and our resident guitar god, Plankton.
Say what now? When have you ever seen me argue? ...and you could have picked a better tune:

__________________
See location...
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Groupie
 
missMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks Trollheart! I am more of a singer but I live with a full time guitarist so 6- or 7string talk is no problem

Nice tapping work there on Eye Of The Storm! Are there some phrygian scales going on or do my ears deceive me?

Modal is the way ,/../
missMorgue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Just Keep Swimming...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: See signature...
Posts: 4,881
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missMorgue View Post
Thanks Trollheart! I am more of a singer but I live with a full time guitarist so 6- or 7string talk is no problem

Nice tapping work there on Eye Of The Storm! Are there some phrygian scales going on or do my ears deceive me?

Modal is the way ,/../
I honestly couldn't say. I've never studied modes, never had a lesson, and am usually half in the bag when I record. Thank you though.
__________________
See location...
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.