Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Jazz & Blues
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2006, 06:48 PM   #21 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojo
I have the disc .. but I still miss my job .. I could play some great music there .. looks like the serious music stations cannot survive in this commercial world.
Nowadays radio mainly thrives on pop songs and/or what's the "new thing", ya see!!!

I'd recommend you to call your house a "radio" for a day and invite some friends over...play whatever bands inspire you, maybe even try "shuffle" if you choose!!!I guarantee you you'll have much more fun than waiting for 1 or 2 good songs to come out of an hours worth of pop/hits on the radio!!!
Wild7Dustr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
SHAKE!
 
jazzfromhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On the A train.
Posts: 205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild7Dustr
Honestly, I was trying not to blatantly say how much Hendrix was overrated compared to Vaughan, so, therefore I said that Vaughan was underrated compared to Hendrix, ya see?

And on your final statement-That doesn't prove to the world that he's (dave) the better guitarist because you think he shows more "emotion"!!!That's only shows that you think he's better, therefore showing your opinion only, got it?Nice talkin though, cheers!!!

Yes, I suggest you take another look at my post. I agree with you that I think he's better, which is why I wrote in my opinion before writing it.
jazzfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:23 PM   #23 (permalink)
www.physicsforums.com
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfromhell
SRV could probably play anything David Gilmour ever played about three times as fast. However, Dave's solos have tons of emotion and mood in them, both of which SRV lacks.
Actually SRV is one of the slower guitar masters. None of his solos are that fast, mostly because blues rock isn't fast obviously. I think SRV's cover of voodoo child is much better than hendrix's original. If you've ever seen SRV live/dvd you'd know he puts every once of himself in the song.
gregb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:35 PM   #24 (permalink)
SHAKE!
 
jazzfromhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On the A train.
Posts: 205
Default

I actually have seen a DVD of him performing, one of my friends is a big fan of his, and I can see that he's putting physical energy into his playing, but none of it comes out in the music for me. When it comes down to it, it's different strokes for different folks, I guess.
jazzfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
jr.
Seeker of Peace
 
jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Newark, De.
Posts: 341
Default

Well, I have expressed my views on SRV before, so I won't go into it again.
It's in here somewhere.

I will say this, though. To those who say he wasn't innovative, that's a fair enough point. But then again, what blues guitarist is? The blues has been the same twelve chord progression for nearly a century. There are several different interpretations and flavors, but at it's roots, blues has remained unchanged for nearly one hundred years. Robert Johnson, Elmore James, Hudie Ledbetter (a.k.a.Leadbelly), Son House, Howlin' Wold, Sonny Boy Williamson, and company, those guitartist were the innovators, not anyone from after, say, 1940 or so. They took the hymns and and songs the slaves sang, and put a guitar to them. That was innovative. Everything since those greats, like I stated before, are simply variations.

Blues is a state of mind, an emotion. If the emotion doesn't reach you, then for you, it's not exciting. That doesn't mean it's not good blues music. There are people who think Clapton is the greatest blues guitarist ever. For me, he's doesn't crack the top ten. I always found him to be forced and trite. But that's because I simply don't feel Clapton's emotion. I won't be like the people who like to come into these threads with no other purpose but to say "he sucks". It serves no purpose.

SRV, on the other hand, speaks to me. I feel the notes, I get something from it. I am confident in saying I am probably the biggest SRV fan in here. I'm also fairly certain I've been a fan longer than most, seeing as how I'm twice the age of most people here. I own all his releases, and an handful of things he didn't release. 'Live Alive' has been mentioned a few times. I own a bootleg of a live show on a Riverboat down in New Orleans. Oh, man. Smokin'!!! I also own SRV live at Carnegie Hall, with a full brass section.
Now that's a rich sound. My favorite live recording I have of SRV, though, is called 'In Session'. It's Stevie, and his biggest influence, Albert King, in a studio, with a couple of guitars, a couple of mikes, a bass guitarist and a drummer. Live, no dubbing, not mixing, nothing. Just pure energy. Awesome.
__________________
Be strong then, and enter into your own body;
there you have a solid place for your feet. ~ Kabir
jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:03 PM   #26 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfromhell
Yes, I suggest you take another look at my post. I agree with you that I think he's better, which is why I wrote in my opinion before writing it.
Yes, I know you said something along the lines of "In Your Opinion!!!"As much as you like Dave though, still doesn't prove to the whole world that he's better, understand now?

Your opinion is yours and my opinion is mine, End Of Discussion!!!
Wild7Dustr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 02:37 AM   #27 (permalink)
SHAKE!
 
jazzfromhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On the A train.
Posts: 205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild7Dustr
Yes, I know you said something along the lines of "In Your Opinion!!!"As much as you like Dave though, still doesn't prove to the whole world that he's better, understand now?

Your opinion is yours and my opinion is mine, End Of Discussion!!!

I never said I was proving to the whole world that David Gilmour was a better guitarist. I'm not sure how you got that impression...but whatever you say, boyo, end of discussion.
jazzfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Stone Magnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Keswick, Ontario
Posts: 731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzfromhell
However, Dave's solos have tons of emotion and mood in them, both of which SRV lacks.
That is quite possibly the most preposterous thing I've read on this forum yet.

SRV's playing was absolutely saturated with emotion. David Gilmour's style is much different; much slower. Slower lead guitar playing is consistently appraised as being 'emotional', while the faster guitar players are regarded as 'colourless' and 'dull'. Stevie's guitar playing is just as emotional as Mr. Gilmour's, it's just a vastly divergent style.
__________________
Lock to field screen, row the ocean onto sentient ground.
New rites of a Vedic sun to attend the blue horizon.
Prevails flight resplendent, sails the shrine effulgent windship.
Stillness breathes apex supreme - I walk toward the mountain.

Crowns the sovereic rite to freedom.
Shored the origin forms to a ground accede.
Axiom core of the light shrine flight to shining.
Glows serene to attenuate the space and time.
Stone Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:55 PM   #29 (permalink)
Alo
Scarf
 
Alo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Brighton, UK
Posts: 715
Default

I wish I was as fast as he was. He may have boring songs. But listening to Jibboom makes me shiver with jealousy! I must agree with people that his music isn't fun to listen to. But I'd like to add ''regularly'' to that. Because once in a while I love to watch movies of him, where you can see him loving his guitar so much, you'd think he'd have an orgasm!

And of course, I'm jealous of his wonderfull collection of guitars. /drool
__________________
I rocked my shoelaces untied
Alo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: canton
Posts: 84
Default

the greatest guitar player and blues artist ever to live. my favorite song is either pride and joy or mary had a little lamb
motley_crue131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.