Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Jazz & Blues
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 11:24 AM   #391 (permalink)
V8s & 12 Bars
 
EPOCH6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 946
Default

Having a hard time finding what I'm looking for lately.

I've been questing for some southern country / delta blues, preferably multi-instrumental (slide / steel guitar, banjo, harmonica, mandolin, accordion, upright bass etc) and extra swampy but I'm looking for albums with decent studio production, which understandably excludes a lot of great **** from the 20s - 50s, but I'm looking for thick multi-layered blues with confident and ambitious instrumental backing, the kind of stuff that I'd imagine played significant role in influencing bands like The Allman Brothers.

Try to keep it acoustic, keep it busy, keep it twangy, big jams, no generic bare naked 12-bars.
Huge bonus points for slide guitar and banjo, bonus points for harmonicas, bonus points for open tunings, bonus points for instrumentals.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbycob View Post
There's 3 reason why the Rolling Stones are better. I'm going to list them here. 1. Jimi Hendrix from Rolling Stones was a better guitarist then Jimmy Page 2. The bassist from Rolling Stones isn't dead 3. Rolling Stobes wrote Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean so we all know they are superior here.

Last edited by EPOCH6; 02-06-2015 at 11:35 AM.
EPOCH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:28 AM   #392 (permalink)
Do good.
 
Blarobbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 2,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPOCH6 View Post
Having a hard time finding what I'm looking for lately.

I've been questing for some southern country / delta blues, preferably multi-instrumental (slide / steel guitar, banjo, harmonica, mandolin, accordion, upright bass etc) and extra swampy but I'm looking for albums with decent studio production, which understandably excludes a lot of great **** from the 20s - 50s, but I'm looking for thick multi-layered blues with confident and ambitious instrumental backing, the kind of stuff that I'd imagine played significant role in influencing bands like The Allman Brothers.

Try to keep it acoustic, keep it busy, keep it twangy, big jams, no generic bare naked 12-bars.
Huge bonus points for slide guitar and banjo, bonus points for harmonicas, bonus points for open tunings, bonus points for instrumentals.
It sounds to me that what you're really looking for is bluegrass.
__________________
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Blarobbarg

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:58 AM   #393 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2
Default

Hello,

Could you please help me define the exact kind of music this song is : Kicca and Intrigo - Neve

Also, as I really like this one, could someone recommend other songs similar to this one ?

Thanks !
Ob1lan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:34 PM   #394 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
DeadChannel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,258
Default

So, it's high time I properly get into Jazz. Can anyone recommend a few records that are seminal must listeny type things?

Thanks.
DeadChannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #395 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadChannel View Post
So, it's high time I properly get into Jazz. Can anyone recommend a few records that are seminal must listeny type things?

Thanks.


dwill123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #396 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
DeadChannel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,258
Default

Haha, that's funny, I've got that Miles Davis album on right now.
I'll check out the Coltrane one, because I really enjoyed Blue Train.
DeadChannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #397 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadChannel View Post
Haha, that's funny, I've got that Miles Davis album on right now.
I'll check out the Coltrane one, because I really enjoyed Blue Train.
Ok, one more that I forgot (a real must listen).

dwill123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #398 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
DeadChannel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,258
Default

Thanks, I'll listen to that when I'm done with the other two.
DeadChannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:54 AM   #399 (permalink)
He behind the curtains
 
Mr. Sir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 127
Default

I've recently fallen in love with Django Reinhardt material and what seems to be called 'gipsy jazz'. Has anyone by any chance got some GJ recommendations up his/her sleeves?
__________________
(╯□)╯︵ suoıʇuəʌuoɔ lɐɔısnɯ

100 albums worthy of stealing your time [2/100]
Mr. Sir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #400 (permalink)
Groupie
 
LedMirto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Sardinia
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordwyr View Post
I've never listened to a John Coltrane album before. Recommend to me your top five.
I suggest you to listen to Ballads too
LedMirto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.