Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Jazz & Blues
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 01:08 AM   #21 (permalink)
Aficionado of Fine Filth
 
Psy-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: You don't want to look in there.
Posts: 3,922
Default

^ 'The Lost Trident Sessions' is also a good album by The Mahavishnu Orchestra (one of my favorites by them.)

I've always thought of Chet Atkins as being more country than jazz, but I keep seeing his name mentioned in various lists and articles about jazz guitarists (and he did have a smooth, flowing sort of jazz style to his technique) so I decided to include him in my list.
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

I'm not super into jazz guitar but I think Charlie Hunter is pretty great. Check out the track below, and keep in mind while you listen to it that all you are hearing is drums and one 8 string guitar. Having seen him in concert, I can attest that he really does play the bass lines and guitar melodies simultaneously. Pretty damn impressive.



Here's some live video too (the good stuff starts around 1:00):

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
Just Keep Swimming...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: See signature...
Posts: 4,890
Default

Ahh... lets not forget Stanley:


Stanley Jordan perform "Autumn Leaves" @ NYC - YouTube
__________________
See location...
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #24 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Fi View Post
^ 'The Lost Trident Sessions' is also a good album by The Mahavishnu Orchestra (one of my favorites by them.)

I've always thought of Chet Atkins as being more country than jazz, but I keep seeing his name mentioned in various lists and articles about jazz guitarists (and he did have a smooth, flowing sort of jazz style to his technique) so I decided to include him in my list.
I have a problem calling him country. There really aren't any country guitarists who could play like him. There was a hint of country, bluegrass, jazz and classical in his playing.

Autumn leaves, doesn't joe pass play that, or did he write it? I think I remember learning how to play some of it, I really liked it.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #25 (permalink)
Just Keep Swimming...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: See signature...
Posts: 4,890
Default

Well yes, yes he does.


Autumn Leaves - Joe Pass - YouTube
__________________
See location...
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #26 (permalink)
Do good.
 
Blarobbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 2,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm not super into jazz guitar but I think Charlie Hunter is pretty great. Check out the track below, and keep in mind while you listen to it that all you are hearing is drums and one 8 string guitar. Having seen him in concert, I can attest that he really does play the bass lines and guitar melodies simultaneously. Pretty damn impressive.



Here's some live video too (the good stuff starts around 1:00):

Holy crap was that impressive. Got any suggested albums?
__________________
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Blarobbarg

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #27 (permalink)
Justifiable Idiocracy
 
Bloozcrooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm not super into jazz guitar but I think Charlie Hunter is pretty great. Check out the track below, and keep in mind while you listen to it that all you are hearing is drums and one 8 string guitar. Having seen him in concert, I can attest that he really does play the bass lines and guitar melodies simultaneously. Pretty damn impressive.



Here's some live video too (the good stuff starts around 1:00):

I enjoyed that actually a lot Jans.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Fuck you, bloozin! Your stupid thread too!
<DoctorSoft>: You know life is good when you take Viagra to jack off lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
- Hendrix didn't even play the blues that well -

Amongst Mb's Most
Hated
(Smiley Face)
Bloozcrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #28 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarobbarg View Post
Holy crap was that impressive. Got any suggested albums?
I only own one to be honest—the self-titled album that the first track is from—but I'd definitely recommend it. It's very solid album from beginning to end. It's just called Charlie Hunter (from 2000), not to be confused with his debut, which is called Charlie Hunter Trio (from 1993).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloozcrooz View Post
I enjoyed that actually a lot Jans.
Glad you liked it!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

3 bass strings and 5 guitar strings? I've never seen anything like that, pretty bad ass. The guitar in the first video sure does sound like a keyboard.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
3 bass strings and 5 guitar strings? I've never seen anything like that, pretty bad ass. The guitar in the first video sure does sound like a keyboard.
I know, right? It sounds like you're listening an organ and bass instead of one guy on a guitar.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.