Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Jazz & Blues (https://www.musicbanter.com/jazz-blues/)
-   -   What Blues Are You Listening To Today? (https://www.musicbanter.com/jazz-blues/95002-what-blues-you-listening-today.html)

ando here 10-29-2020 09:47 AM



buck nina simone



nobody's fault but mine nina simone



house of the rising sun nina simone

ando here 10-29-2020 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plankton (Post 2141414)
I'll throw this one on the pile. I was just looking for some old blues tunes I've done and this one... well this one was a drunken fun mess of a time with an old friend from a few years back.

https://planktonsodyssey.bandcamp.co...es-bonus-track

fun!

Plankton 10-29-2020 10:11 AM

lol Thanks.

Plankton 10-29-2020 10:12 AM


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn09Xn9JF5s

ribbons 10-29-2020 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ando here (Post 2141253)

Hi, ando - I watched this last night and was pleased to see many of the same of the same interviewees as the Hammond doc (Shines, Honeyboy, Willie Mae, et al.) plus original Johnson recordings in the soundtrack. I love Johnny Shines - he has that same mature/dignified aura as Muddy Waters. Thanks!

ribbons 10-29-2020 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plankton (Post 2141414)
I'll throw this one on the pile. I was just looking for some old blues tunes I've done and this one... well this one was a drunken fun mess of a time with an old friend from a few years back.

https://planktonsodyssey.bandcamp.co...es-bonus-track

Very fine guitar playing for a "drunken fun mess". Do I detect a bit of Buddy influence there? Well done!

ribbons 10-29-2020 04:48 PM

Muddy Waters - Long Distance Call


ribbons 10-29-2020 04:56 PM

Skip James - Washington D.C. Hospital Center Blues


ribbons 10-30-2020 12:50 AM

Floyd Jones - Stockyard Blues


Plankton 10-30-2020 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ribbons (Post 2141746)
Very fine guitar playing for a "drunken fun mess". Do I detect a bit of Buddy influence there? Well done!

Thank you kindly!

Possibly, there's lots of influences in there. :beer:

Here's some Bonamassa fueled playing over a BT:

https://soundcloud.com/planktons/heartaches

BB King:

https://soundcloud.com/planktons/bb-o-riley



I'll refrain from trying to show off from here on out. lol

Psy-Fi 10-30-2020 06:53 AM



Keni Lee Burgess & Bill Helferich - You're Gonna Need Somebody on Your Bond

Plankton 11-30-2020 10:04 AM


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugV43HssLd8

Lisnaholic 12-10-2020 07:21 AM

This is blues, isn't it?
Not the greatest song I've ever heard, but something about it caught my attention:


Plankton 12-10-2020 08:07 AM

Must be cold in that studio.

ando here 12-10-2020 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisnaholic (Post 2149109)
This is blues, isn't it?
Not the greatest song I've ever heard, but something about it caught my attention:


No, that ^^ ain't that blues but its hot. :D



if this ain't the blues the hoochie coohie men feat. ian gillan

ando here 12-12-2020 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ando here (Post 2139372)
Double trouble from Stevie Ray Vaughan :D



Mary Had A Little Lamb



Texas Flood

one of my favorite one, two punches. Stevie often performed these back to back.

LivingDead_ 12-13-2020 03:35 PM


Psy-Fi 12-19-2020 01:03 PM



Justin Johnson - Ghost of the Mountain

ando here 01-02-2021 04:58 PM

This ain't Bessie but it sure is good.



mary jane

hafsteinn 01-04-2021 01:54 PM

Billie Holiday
 
Billie Holiday - "Strange Fruit" Live 1959

Billie Holiday was a badass. She was threatened by Harry Anslinger, the Head Of the FBI, to stop singing about lynching. She did it anyway and continued to do it no matter what the monster tried to do to ruin her life. Now, Holiday and “Strange Fruit” are still remembered. Anslinger is not. I pray one day to be as brave as Billie was.

ando here 01-04-2021 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hafsteinn (Post 2153874)
Billie Holiday - "Strange Fruit" Live 1959

Billie Holiday was a badass. She was threatened by Harry Anslinger, the Head Of the FBI, to stop singing about lynching. She did it anyway and continued to do it no matter what the monster tried to do to ruin her life. Now, Holiday and “Strange Fruit” are still remembered. Anslinger is not. I pray one day to be as brave as Billie was.

Idon'tgiveaf*ckish is what a colleague called Lady. SF isn't a blues tune - more of a dirge (or "protest song", if you will) but she definitely sang the blues.



fine and mellow

ando here 01-28-2021 09:58 AM



little boy blue walter horton

Plankton 02-02-2021 09:12 AM


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYg2ESgTfAk

Psy-Fi 02-12-2021 10:42 AM



Seasick Steve - Well Well Well

Plankton 02-22-2021 09:34 AM


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gmd5BFNnxQ

ando here 02-22-2021 12:31 PM



house of the rising sun nina simone

SoundgardenRocks 02-26-2021 07:34 AM


sufferinsukatash 02-27-2021 06:11 PM

Magic Sam's West Side Soul

Psy-Fi 03-02-2021 06:02 AM



Selwyn Birchwood - Freaks Come Out at Night

Psy-Fi 03-04-2021 06:14 AM



Jimmy "Duck" Holmes - Two Women

ando here 03-04-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psy-Fi (Post 2164905)


Jimmy "Duck" Holmes - Two Women

https://media.tenor.com/images/99d83...91b9/tenor.gif

Plankton 03-05-2021 09:24 AM


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0A30gD8U4M

Psy-Fi 03-25-2021 05:58 AM



John Hiatt with The Jerry Douglas Band - Mississippi Phone Booth

ribbons 04-05-2021 11:04 AM

J.B. Hutto - Thank You For Your Kindness


Psy-Fi 04-14-2021 08:40 AM



Muddy Waters - Champagne & Reefer


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:10 PM.


© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.