Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Jazz & Blues (https://www.musicbanter.com/jazz-blues/)
-   -   What Blues Are You Listening To Today? (https://www.musicbanter.com/jazz-blues/95002-what-blues-you-listening-today.html)

ando here 10-13-2020 11:22 PM

What Blues Are You Listening To Today?
 
https://i.ibb.co/Ln5CX2H/blues.jpg


Everybody gets 'em. Some more than others. Nice when you can find a record that fits whatever you're going through. Got some on your mind or stereo? Share 'em!! Let's have Nina kick this one off -


Do I Move You? Nina Simone

ando here 10-13-2020 11:25 PM



Ball And Chain (Live at Monterey '67) Janis Joplin with Big Brother & The Holding Company

ando here 10-13-2020 11:39 PM

Double trouble from Stevie Ray Vaughan :D



Mary Had A Little Lamb



Texas Flood

Plankton 10-14-2020 09:15 AM


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_ZeDn-hHGE

Psy-Fi 10-14-2020 09:48 AM



Big Mama Thornton - Hound Dog and Down Home Shakedown

ando here 10-14-2020 02:56 PM



Jumper Hanging On The Line R.L. Burnside

for my friend who just booked a one way flight back to Georgia...



Goin' Down South R.L.

Psy-Fi 10-15-2020 08:44 AM



Albert King - Blues Power

ribbons 10-15-2020 02:11 PM

Skip James - Hard Time Killin' Floor Blues


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoBxzb-8oPc

ribbons 10-15-2020 02:27 PM

John Lee Hooker - Back Biters and Syndicaters


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMIUP_NtY_U

ando here 10-15-2020 03:21 PM



Yes Indeed, He Do Bessie Smith

ando here 10-15-2020 04:02 PM



Front Porch Jam Burnside Family

ando here 10-15-2020 04:13 PM



Since I've Been Loving You Corinne Bailey Rae

Plankton 10-16-2020 08:19 AM


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0tJhHlbxWo


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga6RAwIMxD4


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b76kjd5nvMg

Lisnaholic 10-19-2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ando here (Post 2139591)


Front Porch Jam Burnside Family

Good to see another admirer of R L Burnside, ando. He doesn't often get a mention on MB, which is why I dedicated a thread to him here:-

https://www.musicbanter.com/jazz-blu...-burnside.html

I thought your clip was very interesting to watch, to see RLB's large and not very responsive family. The young boy drumming does a good job tho.
RLB has on the same shirt as for the "Jumper" clip, so I guess someone visited RLB and recorded both items on the same day.

ando here 10-19-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisnaholic (Post 2139997)
Good to see another admirer of R L Burnside, ando. He doesn't often get a mention on MB, which is why I dedicated a thread to him here:-

https://www.musicbanter.com/jazz-blu...-burnside.html

I thought your clip was very interesting to watch, to see RLB's large and not very responsive family. The young boy drumming does a good job tho.
RLB has on the same shirt as for the "Jumper" clip, so I guess someone visited RLB and recorded both items on the same day.

I think his family was spooked by the cameras.

Thanks for the link.

ribbons 10-24-2020 08:46 AM

Buddy Guy - First Time I Met The Blues


ando here 10-24-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ribbons (Post 2140702)
Buddy Guy - First Time I Met The Blues


mmm hmmm!

ando here 10-24-2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ribbons (Post 2140702)
Buddy Guy - First Time I Met The Blues


mmm hmmm!

more Chicago blues



spoonful howlin’ wolf

And 10-25-2020 04:52 PM

Thanks to everyone for all your inspiration. Just joined whilst listening to Alice Coltrane’s Ptah The El Daoud.

Sorry, meant to post in Jazz section

ando here 10-25-2020 08:15 PM

Buddy Guy on Hendrix





red house (live) jimi hendrix

Plankton 10-26-2020 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ribbons (Post 2140702)
Buddy Guy - First Time I Met The Blues


Quote:

Originally Posted by ando here (Post 2140717)
mmm hmmm!

I saw him in the 90's, front row at the old Legends at 754 Wabash along with John Hammond Jr. I met Dave Murray from Iron Maiden that night at the bar when I went to get a refill.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Bq4gbohog

Also, my daughter went to school with his grandson Greg. They did a science project together, and one day she called me up to tell me she was at Buddy Guy's mansion. I wanted to give her a CD of mine to give to him, but I didn't think my kind of music was his cuppa tea, so I just left all of that alone. They did an excellent job on the project though from what I can recall.

ando here 10-26-2020 12:38 PM

I know Robert Johnson originally recorded this one in '36 but I love this live version by The Wolf recorded in the 60s.



dust my broom howlin' wolf

ribbons 10-26-2020 02:19 PM

^ Great footage and version, ando. The Wolf and Hubert were magic together. A-woohooooo! ;)

Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' at Midnight


ribbons 10-26-2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plankton (Post 2141016)
I saw him in the 90's, front row at the old Legends at 754 Wabash along with John Hammond Jr. I met Dave Murray from Iron Maiden that night at the bar when I went to get a refill.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9Bq4gbohog

Also, my daughter went to school with his grandson Greg. They did a science project together, and one day she called me up to tell me she was at Buddy Guy's mansion. I wanted to give her a CD of mine to give to him, but I didn't think my kind of music was his cuppa tea, so I just left all of that alone. They did an excellent job on the project though from what I can recall.

Hold it! Working on a science project with Buddy Guy's grandson in Buddy's mansion? That's pretty amazing. Can I have your daughter's autograph now? :)

Also, I really like John Hammond Jr. My first exposure to him was when he narrated an excellent '91 documentary titled The Search For Robert Johnson. Well worth watching, imo, if anyone is interested.

ando here 10-26-2020 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ribbons (Post 2141047)
Also, I really like John Hammond Jr. My first exposure to him was when he narrated an excellent '91 documentary titled The Search For Robert Johnson. Well worth watching, imo, if anyone is interested.

^ https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/image.../orangeyes.gif



death letter cassandra wilson (live)

ando here 10-26-2020 03:05 PM



stormy monday dianne reeves, david peaston & david sanborn

ando here 10-26-2020 03:18 PM

https://img.discogs.com/fs5Tp8JcqS8v...-8583.jpeg.jpg



wang dang doodle koko taylor

Plankton 10-27-2020 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ribbons (Post 2141047)
Hold it! Working on a science project with Buddy Guy's grandson in Buddy's mansion? That's pretty amazing. Can I have your daughter's autograph now? :)

Also, I really like John Hammond Jr. My first exposure to him was when he narrated an excellent '91 documentary titled The Search For Robert Johnson. Well worth watching, imo, if anyone is interested.

I'm trying to get one myself. She's a busy person. lol Buddy lives right down the road from us. Dennis DeYoung from Styx is a bit south of us too.

I'll be checking that doc out though. Thanks for the heads up!

I guess I picked the wrong week to quit documentaries.

https://i.imgur.com/jYYbsj5.jpg?1

ribbons 10-27-2020 01:03 PM

You're welcome! The documentary is a bit hard to find these days. Here's a link if you'd like to view it online: https://archive.org/details/THESEARCHFORROBERTJOHNSON

Enjoy!

ando here 10-27-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plankton (Post 2141202)
I'm trying to get one myself. She's a busy person. lol Buddy lives right down the road from us. Dennis DeYoung from Styx is a bit south of us too.

I'll be checking that doc out though. Thanks for the heads up!

I guess I picked the wrong week to quit documentaries.

https://i.imgur.com/jYYbsj5.jpg?1

:D

This one isn't bad, either.



https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....j4KyD_TTW_.jpg

Plankton 10-27-2020 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ribbons (Post 2141252)
You're welcome! The documentary is a bit hard to find these days. Here's a link if you'd like to view it online: https://archive.org/details/THESEARCHFORROBERTJOHNSON

Enjoy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ando here (Post 2141253)

Looks like my night is filled up. I'll put on the head cuttin scene from Crossroads after these.

ribbons 10-27-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ando here (Post 2141073)

Koko is kool. :cool: The long tall Hound Dog Taylor on guitar! And of course, the legendary Little Walter shortly before his death. :(

ribbons 10-27-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ando here (Post 2141253)

I've been wanting to see this - now's the time! Thanks! :)

Plankton 10-27-2020 02:07 PM

They play quite a bit of Koko on WXRT HD2:

https://www.radio.com/wxrthd2/listen

Plankton 10-28-2020 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plankton (Post 2141255)
Looks like my night is filled up. I'll put on the head cuttin scene from Crossroads after these.

I only checked out Ando's, since I couldn't get the other to play on my large flat screen... pretty sure that the Archive website isn't set up with the proper video codec or something along those lines, but the one I did watch was enlightening. I'll check the other one out when I get time. I appreciate the rec's.

ribbons 10-28-2020 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plankton (Post 2141265)
They play quite a bit of Koko on WXRT HD2:

https://www.radio.com/wxrthd2/listen

Great playlists on this station - thank you!

ribbons 10-28-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plankton (Post 2141337)
I only checked out Ando's, since I couldn't get the other to play on my large flat screen... pretty sure that the Archive website isn't set up with the proper video codec or something along those lines, but the one I did watch was enlightening. I'll check the other one out when I get time. I appreciate the rec's.

No problem - hope you enjoy watching if/when the technology works out.

I gradually fast-forwarded through segments of the doc last night, and was reminded that "Queen" Elizabeth (one of Johnson's featured ex-girlfriends) disturbs me a bit with her talk of shooting Johnson! :eek: I was also pleasantly reminded of Johnny Shines's dignified presence and insightful commentary.

Plankton 10-28-2020 11:02 AM

Johnny Shine's commentary was some of the most insightful of the entire doc. His take on the "Selling his soul to the devil" was telling of the way things were with those early blues men. "He was a dam liar and I'd tell it to him straight to his face". lol He wasn't having any of it.

Plankton 10-28-2020 01:39 PM


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab1Qk1eWOrc

Plankton 10-28-2020 01:46 PM

I'll throw this one on the pile. I was just looking for some old blues tunes I've done and this one... well this one was a drunken fun mess of a time with an old friend from a few years back.

https://planktonsodyssey.bandcamp.co...es-bonus-track


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 PM.


© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.