Favorite comic book artists - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default Favorite comic book artists

This is specifically about the drawings and the colouring. Not the writing.

Who are your favorite artists within any area the comic book medium? Show some panels and tell us what about it appeals to you.

I'll post some myself later, but I'm trying to get my scanner working so I can grab something to show directly from my comic book shelves.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 25,517
Default

I've always been a big fan of Kevin O'Neill's work on 2000AD, especially on Nemesis the Warlock. He's just so the opposite of organic: everything he draws has sharp edges and angles. You can imagine he's actually a robot.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
He's just so the opposite of organic: everything he draws has sharp edges and angles. You can imagine he's actually a robot.
I definitely see those sharp edges and angles. It's a very exaggerated way that the characters move and pose.

When I think robotic exactness, I first and foremost think of Roger Leloup's Yoko Tsuno comics. I believe he was an architecht and you see that in the way he illustrates machinery and buildings. His characters have a stiffness about them, but I liked his work a lot despite that.




No idea how well known Yoko Tsuno is outside of Europe. I grew up with these.

Last edited by MicShazam; 09-14-2017 at 03:21 PM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 46,846
Default

I honestly haven't gotten to the point where I'm following artists. Most of the time it's either a series I'm checking out or a writer. That said some of my favorite art was from Batman comics since he really lends himself to comic book art.

Neal Adams kind of blew my mind when I started reading his Batman stuff from the 70s. Gone was the camp of the 60s Batman show, replaced by a moody, noirish style full of detail and negative space. Basically this was where Batman entered the modern age, and every iteration of him since has been heavily informed by Neal Adams' style.





Tim Sale is another artist I found through Batman, specifically the Long Halloween graphic novel, which was the second Batman story I ever read. I've never seen another artist like him tbh. The linework, the colors, the overall approach to drawing a superhero comic. It's just so lush and beautiful to look at.

And hella props to his work on Spider-Man Blue as well.






__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 25,517
Default

The thing about O'Neill is that his art fits the world of Termight (where Nemesis is set: spoiler, it's later revealed to be Earth, wow big surprise!) where everything is harsh and tough and seems mechanised to the max. I of course also (ahem) enjoy Frank Frazetta's work...
Spoiler for May be NSFW:
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 46,846
Default

@MicShazam - I don't know about the rest of the world, but in America if it's not a superhero comic then just assume we don't know about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
The thing about O'Neill is that his art fits the world of Termight
I hadn't read your posts before I posted mine so for a second I thought we'd both name dropped the same guy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I honestly haven't gotten to the point where I'm following artists. Most of the time it's either a series I'm checking out or a writer. That said some of my favorite art was from Batman comics since he really lends himself to comic book art.

Neal Adams kind of blew my mind when I started reading his Batman stuff from the 70s. Gone was the camp of the 60s Batman show, replaced by a moody, noirish style full of detail and negative space. Basically this was where Batman entered the modern age, and every iteration of him since has been heavily informed by Neal Adams' style.


I especially like the first picture in your post. It has a very Will Eisner kind of quality to it, and I just love the way he did urban settings in his Spirit comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
The thing about O'Neill is that his art fits the world of Termight (where Nemesis is set: spoiler, it's later revealed to be Earth, wow big surprise!) where everything is harsh and tough and seems mechanised to the max.
It looks pretty old to me. 60's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I of course also (ahem) enjoy Frank Frazetta's work...
Spoiler for May be NSFW:
I like Frazetta too. I'm also a fan of Frank Thorne's work, but most of it is entirely too NSFW for this place.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 46,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I especially like the first picture in your post. It has a very Will Eisner kind of quality to it, and I just love the way he did urban settings in his Spirit comics.
Will Eisner's another guy who's been on my shortlist for a long time, but I've just not gotten to him yet. The Spirit and A Contract with God will have to be checked out before the year is out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Will Eisner's another guy who's been on my shortlist for a long time, but I've just not gotten to him yet. The Spirit and A Contract with God will have to be checked out before the year is out.
It's been years, but I used to read a lot of his Spirit comics. They're pretty funny and have some incredible title page illustrations at times.



I also liked how the stories didn't always follow Spirit himself as a main character. Sometimes they would be these little short stories about various other people of the city.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 25,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I especially like the first picture in your post. It has a very Will Eisner kind of quality to it, and I just love the way he did urban settings in his Spirit comics.



It looks pretty old to me. 60's?
Literally, the 80s: 1980-1989.
Quote:
I like Frazetta too. I'm also a fan of Frank Thorne's work, but most of it is entirely too NSFW for this place.
Very true, especially his "warrior women" type ones. And let's not forget our man Vajello....
Spoiler for Again: NSFW (Not Safe For Wimps):
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.