Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #151 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Mad isn't it. I only answered the question the thread asked
__________________


"Be a good teammate."
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #152 (permalink)
All day jazz and biscuits
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,329
Default

****ing soccer.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #153 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 11,010
Default

Hate this **** to death ever since he found God and had his co-star fired from the show because she posed in Playboy. And he's been a high-profile douche-bag ever since.



Cute as a button and she went on to have a very successful career in spite of Kirk "jesus" Cameron.

__________________
General Rules:
• While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, trolling, purposeless inflammatory posts or members deliberately provoking another member into committing any of these acts. - Mods exempt.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #154 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
And it doesn't change what I was saying about successful teams raising a city's profile especially when they use the name of the city. That team is an exception to the rule because it's not really a thing over here or in Europe.
Because "the rule" is defined by Europe, of course.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #155 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
That's not my impression, but the point still stands. If I mention Detroit to you, do you honestly think of the Lions, Tigers, Pistons, or Red Wings before you think of Danny Brown, The Stooges, The White Stripes, or Eminem?
Nah. When I hear Detroit I think of Motown and cars. But then we're not American so what would we know about all those bands, none of whom I knew came from Motor City.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Wait, do people actually know what cities arists are from?
No
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I don't like American sports either.
Doesn't invalidate my point though, and demolishes your argument in the process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
I hate every single woman who has ever been on a show titled "The Real Housewives of (insert city name here)".
Change hate to **** and Hawk is in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
It is true.

I read a site for city development. One of the biggest complaints the users on there have at the moment is that all of our teams are doing quite badly and have been for a while. We've had some of the best development outside London over the past five years or so, but the one thing that remains a constant complaint is the lack of a team at the highest level of football because of the revenue and exposure playing in the Champions League gives you, and the size of the audience, which everyone is aware of. It really can be important in getting the city's name out there and boosting things like tourism and development. The Commonwealth Games should be a good boost but we'd like teams to be competing. If we had made the CL in 2009 VP would be a 50,000+ stadium right now.

A good example of a city where it is predominantly known for its sports team would be Dortmund, imo.
Or Barcelona. Or Madrid. Or Manchester.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
Mad isn't it. I only answered the question the thread asked
Careful what you wish for, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Because "the rule" is defined by Europe, of course.
Now you're sounding like Frownland. Monkey told you that doesn't happen here, so it's irrelevant whether it's your experience. That's how it goes with us over here, which is why your argument holds no weight with we who are not of the American persuasion.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #156 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Nah. When I hear Detroit I think of Motown and cars. But then we're not American so what would we know about all those bands, none of whom I knew came from Motor City.
So you think of a record label over all the city's major sports teams. Thanks for proving my point.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #157 (permalink)
All day jazz and biscuits
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Doesn't invalidate my point though, and demolishes your argument in the process.
How?! You just backed up my point that sports teams don't really represent their cities. I was talking about soccer cause you two are British but my point was meant to apply to American football as well. Are you on your period?
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #158 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
So you think of a record label over all the city's major sports teams. Thanks for proving my point.
Yeah but I don't know, or care about, any American sports teams. Stop cherrypicking. I already said Barcelona, Madrid, Manchester, all defined by their footy teams.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
How?! You just backed up my point that sports teams don't really represent their cities. I was talking about soccer cause you two are British but my point was meant to apply to American football as well. Are you on your period?
How? I'll tell you how. Your point was that a "Spanish guy" joining Villa, or any team, doesn't give a **** about anything but getting paid, and I pointed out that these people get involved and make themselves important to the city. You then said something along the lines of "not every player in a [insert city name here] is from that city", and then more or less accepted that it's the same in US sports. So your argument that teams should only be made up of people from that city doesn't stand, and down you go.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #159 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Because "the rule" is defined by Europe, of course.
It doesn't happen in South America either. This is what you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
What do you mean? Sports teams are typically filled with players who aren't from the city they play for, owned by people who may or may not be from the city in question, and the team itself may, at the drop of a hat, pack up and relocate to a different city. How does that represent a city more than a band comprised of individuals from that city who also got their start as a band in that city?
What you should have said is sports franchises in the States. Your post assumed it was commonplace and I am saying outside of the US, it isn't. It is actually pretty much non existent barring the MK Dons.
__________________


"Be a good teammate."
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #160 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah but I don't know, or care about, any American sports teams. Stop cherrypicking. I already said Barcelona, Madrid, Manchester, all defined by their footy teams.
I'm not cherry picking. This is exactly the point I was making, that music can represent a city more internationally than a sports team can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
It doesn't happen in South America either. This is what you said:



What you should have said is sports franchises in the States. Your post assumed it was commonplace and I am saying outside of the US, it isn't. It is actually pretty much non existent barring the MK Dons.
Ok, sure, one of the three things I mentioned may not commonplace in Europe. This doesn't change my point at all.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.