Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #221 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,748
Default

When was this? Being reported on a major news network isn't exactly indicative of something being a household name.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #222 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 43,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
It was news because it was one of the biggest sporting upsets in history. It would be like if Liechtenstein (yeah I'm not checking the spelling) won the World Cup or, I don't know, Indiana won the World Series? Who knows? The point is, that no matter how much you want to pretend it wasn't, Jansz, it was huge news, all around the world. I watched Sky News the day after the title was won and I was amazed at how many languages it was being reported in, and how many cities, countries, places that you would think wouldn't give a curse about football.
You live in Ireland and the story happened within a spud gun's distance of you. You have no idea what is on our news. And if Liechtenstein won the World Cup we would never hear of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
When was this? Being reported on a major news network isn't exactly indicative of something being a household name.
My guess is it was a two-minute backup story on a Tuesday afternoon. I hate to break it to Monkey but I have literally never had or seen a legit soccer conversation in America. We do not care. I don't know where your statistics are coming from but I doubt they reflect reality. My guess is that your soccer news sites or whatever really want everyone to think that people like soccer.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:05 AM   #223 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,748
Default

I've heard plenty of conversations about soccer, but that's mostly because of the Mexican population down here. A lot of the exchange students in college were pretty into it too.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #224 (permalink)
The Right Honourable
 
Cuthbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
My guess is it was a two-minute backup story on a Tuesday afternoon. I hate to break it to Monkey but I have literally never had or seen a legit soccer conversation in America. We do not care. I don't know where your statistics are coming from but I doubt they reflect reality. My guess is that your soccer news sites or whatever really want everyone to think that people like soccer.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ports-leagues/

Third most attended sport.

Seems like you are offended by this.

Also if you haven't heard any conversations that's probably more down to where you are not the US as a whole.
__________________


"Be a good teammate."
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #225 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ports-leagues/

Third most attended sport.

Seems like you are offended by this.

Also if you haven't heard any conversations that's probably more down to where you are not the US as a whole.
Soccer is popular therefore Leicester is well-known?
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #226 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 43,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ports-leagues/

Third most attended sport.

Seems like you are offended by this.

Also if you haven't heard any conversations that's probably more down to where you are not the US as a whole.
If you have $50 so I can pay that site I'll look at your graph or whatever. And I'm gonna guess most of those attendees are Frown's Latinos. So that sounds less like soccer has become popular in the US and more like soccer fans are invading.

*stares wistfully at wall*
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #227 (permalink)
The Right Honourable
 
Cuthbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
If you have $50 so I can pay that site I'll look at your graph or whatever. And I'm gonna guess most of those attendees are Frown's Latinos. So that sounds less like soccer has become popular in the US and more like soccer fans are invading.

*stares wistfully at wall*
You don't need to pay. It clearly shows its the third most attended sport. This is a fact.

It's still in the US.
__________________


"Be a good teammate."
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #228 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
You don't need to pay. It clearly shows its the third most attended sport. This is a fact.

It's still in the US.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #229 (permalink)
The Right Honourable
 
Cuthbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Soccer is popular
__________________


"Be a good teammate."
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #230 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 43,128
Default

You know, you're right. $49 per month totally proves your argument.

__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.