The Thread of Cancellation - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2021, 01:03 PM   #351 (permalink)
Certified H00d Classic
 
Anteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bernie Sanders's yacht
Posts: 6,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I mean he's probably not gonna become an MSNBC talking head but some out of the public eye position? I mean you're not gonna be that well connected and just be allowed to fail.
I'm sure there are some very large women's rights groups (possibly unions) that would love to have him on their Board of Directors.
__________________
Anteater's 21 Fav Albums Of 2020

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 01:22 PM   #352 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Geoff View Post
Y is Louis CK doing a comeback tour?
How long does he need to stay in time out? Is what he did worth forever cancelled status?
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 01:26 PM   #353 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,215
Default

If he still wants to use his status over women he employs to intimidate women into letting him do that **** then yes. As far as I've seen he's trying to pretend like nothing happened, which does not speak to him changing anything about his behaviour or perspective. People who abuse power dynamics aren't victims.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:05 PM   #354 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
jadis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: dont ask
Posts: 1,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
If he still wants to use his status over women he employs to intimidate women into letting him do that **** then yes. As far as I've seen he's trying to pretend like nothing happened, which does not speak to him changing anything about his behaviour or perspective. People who abuse power dynamics aren't victims.
Not familiar with the details of this particular case but I think we can all agree that when someone of his stature forces unwanted sexual interaction on an up-and-coming comedian, there is a power dynamic at play and an abuse of that dynamic.

When a young woman knows (consciously or in the back of her mind) that she can become the focus of a news cycle and get a tell-all piece in Buzzfeed by representing an unsatisfying, “yucky”, but ultimately consensual sexual encounter with a famous person as abuse - isn't there some sort of “power dynamic” at play as well?

The benefits don’t have to be as tangible as “I’ll get X out of it”. The shot of self-righteous adrenaline we all get out of the sense that we’re telling the Truth, exposing abusers, dragging something hidden into the light, that’s a stronger motivator than whatever Buzzfeed can offer. Not to mention that obtaining the publicly conferred status of a victim is not without its benefits.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:11 PM   #355 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
Not familiar with the details of this particular case but I think we can all agree that when someone of his stature forces unwanted sexual interaction on an up-and-coming comedian, there is a power dynamic at play and an abuse of that dynamic.

When a young woman knows (consciously or in the back of her mind) that she can become the focus of a news cycle and get a tell-all piece in Buzzfeed by representing an unsatisfying, “yucky”, but ultimately consensual sexual encounter with a famous person as abuse - isn't there some sort of “power dynamic” at play as well?

The benefits don’t have to be as tangible as “I’ll get X out of it”. The shot of self-righteous adrenaline we all get out of the sense that we’re telling the Truth, exposing abusers, dragging something hidden into the light, that’s a stronger motivator than whatever Buzzfeed can offer. Not to mention that obtaining the publicly conferred status of a victim is not without its benefits.
Now that's some dumb logickifyin
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #356 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
Not familiar with the details of this particular case but I think we can all agree that when someone of his stature forces unwanted sexual interaction on an up-and-coming comedian, there is a power dynamic at play and an abuse of that dynamic.
Yes I'm glad we can agree on-

Quote:
When a young woman knows (consciously or in the back of her mind) that she can become the focus of a news cycle and get a tell-all piece in Buzzfeed by representing an unsatisfying, “yucky”, but ultimately consensual sexual encounter with a famous person as abuse - isn't there some sort of “power dynamic” at play as well?

The benefits don’t have to be as tangible as “I’ll get X out of it”. The shot of self-righteous adrenaline we all get out of the sense that we’re telling the Truth, exposing abusers, dragging something hidden into the light, that’s a stronger motivator than whatever Buzzfeed can offer. Not to mention that obtaining the publicly conferred status of a victim is not without its benefits.
Oh god damn it...

Considering the character assassination and public scrutiny that gets leveled at accusers of public figures I'd say it's pretty skewed to look at it as a benefit to anyone to do this, and after countless media spectacles that have dragged countless women through the mud I'd say any woman would be well aware of the tiger they're grabbing by the tail.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:29 PM   #357 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
jadis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: dont ask
Posts: 1,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Now that's some dumb logickifyin

If you knew anything at all beyond the talking points pumped out by "leftist podcasters" and youtubers, you'd recognize that what I said was not a logic nerd move but one of the farthest things from that: the most basic Foucault 101 bit about the reversibility of power.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #358 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
If you knew anything at all beyond the talking points pumped out by "leftist podcasters" and youtubers, you'd recognize that what I said was not a logic nerd move but one of the farthest things from that: the most basic Foucault 101 bit about the reversibility of power.
Yeah and it was pretty dumb.
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:56 PM   #359 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
jadis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: dont ask
Posts: 1,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Yeah and it was pretty dumb.
That it very well may be, not for me to say.


Quote:
Considering the character assassination and public scrutiny that gets leveled at accusers of public figures I'd say it's pretty skewed to look at it as a benefit to anyone to do this, and after countless media spectacles that have dragged countless women through the mud I'd say any woman would be well aware of the tiger they're grabbing by the tail.
I agree that the benefits are usually nonexistent, but I also don't think that the calculus of costs and benefits in such cases is a rational one. Getting to speak your truth about abusers, having your truth heard is as powerful a drug as I dunno, the desire for fame and fortune or whatever else people want nowadays. Once you place yourself in the position of a victim, the words just start flowing out of your mouth.
jadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:58 PM   #360 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadis View Post
If you knew anything at all beyond the talking points pumped out by "leftist podcasters" and youtubers, you'd recognize that what I said was not a logic nerd move but one of the farthest things from that: the most basic Foucault 101 bit about the reversibility of power.
I believe there's only like 1 in 20 allegations of sexual assault that are false, and most of those are teenage girls caught having sex with their boyfriends, so while what you're saying is true in theory in the real world it almost never plays out like that. If there's an allegation it's probably true and if there's multiple that's basically game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
Yeah I dunno about that chief

but surely there's a point where the guy is allowed to work again, convicts are offered that much
Yeah but we're not just talking about letting him work. These allegations were by women who worked for him. We're talking about giving him potential power over more women trying to break into a hard to break into industry.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.