Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Media
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 12:05 PM   #17581 (permalink)
sentimental fool
 
MicShazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Denmark, Northern Jutland
Posts: 4,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Over the past 2 nights: Eastern Promises and A History of Violence. A Vitto Mortensen, David Cronenberg double header. If you haven't seen both of these do yourself a favor.
Both are really good movies. I love Cronenberg in general. My faves are probably Eastern Promises, Cosmopolis and Existenz.

Just watched American History X yesterday. Still good, but maybe a little bit too melodramatic and simplistic. I didn't notice that when I was younger, but now it seems like less of a genius movie. Still solid though.

This evening I watched My Kid Could Paint That.

It's a documentary about a couple whose 4 year old daughter becomes an overnight art success and sells paintings for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Pretty interesting if you're interested in modern art and how it is or isn't all it's made to be.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:36 AM   #17582 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 5,371
Default

Am I the only one who thought Eastern Promises kinda sucked? It felt really corny at times.
History Of Violence is pretty good though.
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 05:16 AM   #17583 (permalink)
sentimental fool
 
MicShazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Denmark, Northern Jutland
Posts: 4,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Am I the only one who thought Eastern Promises kinda sucked? It felt really corny at times.
History Of Violence is pretty good though.
Easter Promises is certainly more accessible and simple than other Cronenberg films, but I still thought it was a good story and a very well made movie.

I can imagine it having a low status with other Cronenberg fans.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #17584 (permalink)
Primo Celebate Sexiness
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,662
Default

All this Cronenberg talk, and no one mentions The Fly?
__________________
I'm a pretty nice troll if you ask me.
JGuy Grungeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #17585 (permalink)
sentimental fool
 
MicShazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Denmark, Northern Jutland
Posts: 4,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuy Grungeman View Post
All this Cronenberg talk, and no one mentions The Fly?
I just assume everyone agrees it's a masterpiece (or at least a very good movie).
Not a fan of some of the more gross images, but the movie is fantastic all the same.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #17586 (permalink)
MY EMOTIONS
 
eric generic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Both are really good movies. I love Cronenberg in general. My faves are probably Eastern Promises, Cosmopolis and Existenz.

Just watched American History X yesterday. Still good, but maybe a little bit too melodramatic and simplistic. I didn't notice that when I was younger, but now it seems like less of a genius movie. Still solid though.

This evening I watched My Kid Could Paint That.

It's a documentary about a couple whose 4 year old daughter becomes an overnight art success and sells paintings for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Pretty interesting if you're interested in modern art and how it is or isn't all it's made to be.
There's a phenom artist in La Grande Bellezza (The Great Beauty).

The kid wants to play but the father needs to make tons of money off of a live art performance.

__________________
Last.FM
eric generic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:40 AM   #17587 (permalink)
sentimental fool
 
MicShazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Denmark, Northern Jutland
Posts: 4,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric generic View Post
There's a phenom artist in La Grande Bellezza (The Great Beauty).

The kid wants to play but the father needs to make tons of money off of a live art performance.

I love that movie! It manages to come off as sort of pretentious while also being very beautiful and very humorous.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #17588 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 10,214
Default

Re-watched the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Dated and hasn't aged very well and there's quite a bit of terrible acting but it's still a very creepy flick. The way they handled the opening - showing how the invasion started was very effective and the special FX are pretty damn good considering they were done 38 years ago.
__________________
To write a bizarro erotica book that had Kirk Cameron hooking up with a Crocoduck. I just loved the idea and I felt it was timely after the gay marriage ruling. It was definitely meant to be subversive. I knew that once Cheese Jesus had sex with Kirk I was being really naughty.

Quote:
"If I'm an advocate for anything, it's to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. Walk in someone else's shoes, or at least eat their food."
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #17589 (permalink)
Primo Celebate Sexiness
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I just assume everyone agrees it's a masterpiece (or at least a very good movie).
Not a fan of some of the more gross images, but the movie is fantastic all the same.
Although I think the original was better, both are fantastic movies.
__________________
I'm a pretty nice troll if you ask me.
JGuy Grungeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:24 PM   #17590 (permalink)
sentimental fool
 
MicShazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Denmark, Northern Jutland
Posts: 4,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuy Grungeman View Post
Although I think the original was better, both are fantastic movies.
It seemed a bit silly, so I never watched it. Maybe that's a mistake.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2018 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.