What's The Latest Film You Have Seen? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Media
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #1871 (permalink)
Dr. Prunk
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Don't recall that, but I remember thinking the humor was a bit geezerish...:/



The best thing I've seen this year. 10/10
And you say Akira is badly animated.
__________________
It's only knock n' knowall, but I like it

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:45 AM   #1872 (permalink)
Dr. Prunk
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoemerMW View Post
While I completely agree that Tarantino is incredibly overhyped, I'd say that Jackie Brown could be considered a serious film, and although it does delve a wee bit into his usual style, it shows that he can do serious films.
Too bad that's his worst film to date.

I think Tarantino is great, I think that whenever someone is as polarizing a figure as he is, he's obviously doing something right.

If you're looking for something that's more in depth, look elsewhere, but that's a lame reason to call him a bad director. This is a guy who just takes influences from many genres (westerns, exploitation, samurai) and blends it into his own trademark style, his dialogue, his characters, his storytelling style and his overall directing style is great, his films have more to do with loose themes than with any one unifying narative, there's nothing wrong with that. So what if he dosen't have it in him to do a completely serious movie? Is there something wrong with doing your own thing all of the sudden? His movies are pure entertainment, just on a more personal and intelligent level than most. I don't think Tarantino would do a good serious film, because he already tried with Jackie Brown and failed, but then again, Scorsese can't do a good upbeat musical comedy.

Oh, and Spy Kids 2 and 3 sucked big time.
__________________
It's only knock n' knowall, but I like it

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #1873 (permalink)
Slavic gay sauce
 
adidasss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 7,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
And you say Akira is badly animated.
I've already explained I was referring to the character design.
__________________
“Think of what a paradise this world would be if men were kind and wise.” - Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle.

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #1874 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
RoemerMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Klamath Falls, OR
Posts: 452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Too bad that's his worst film to date.

I think Tarantino is great, I think that whenever someone is as polarizing a figure as he is, he's obviously doing something right.

If you're looking for something that's more in depth, look elsewhere, but that's a lame reason to call him a bad director. This is a guy who just takes influences from many genres (westerns, exploitation, samurai) and blends it into his own trademark style, his dialogue, his characters, his storytelling style and his overall directing style is great, his films have more to do with loose themes than with any one unifying narrative, there's nothing wrong with that. So what if he doesn't have it in him to do a completely serious movie? Is there something wrong with doing your own thing all of the sudden? His movies are pure entertainment, just on a more personal and intelligent level than most. I don't think Tarantino would do a good serious film, because he already tried with Jackie Brown and failed, but then again, Scorsese can't do a good upbeat musical comedy.

Oh, and Spy Kids 2 and 3 sucked big time.
I was just replying to the assertion that he had never made a serious film. I love his films, with the exception of Death Proof and My Best Friend's Birthday. And Jackie Brown is my favorite Tarantino film btw, I don't get all of the hate for it.

On a side note, I do hate the extreme fanboyism associated with him (I am not referring to anyone here, btw). Every other self proclaimed film buff won't STFU about how great he is, and it irks me that they, for the most part, won' ever delve into anything other than the obvious canonized directors like Tarantino, Kubrick, Coppola, etc. Yes, Tarantino is great and all, but their is so much more out there that they will never get the chance to experience because of their blindness towards anything not handed to them on a silver platter by the AFI and other top 100 lists. I literally had people tell me "why bother watching anything that isn't popular, if it isn't popular it must not be good". I've heard so many variations of this over the years, and it sickens me. Expand your horizons, strive to know the non-canonized films! Film should not be confined to a few lists and a few directors, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of great directors, not just the dozens that everyone knows about. Sorry for the rant

"but then again, Scorsese can't do a good upbeat musical comedy."

Who says he couldn't? He's made at least one comedy, and he's made a decent enough musical, New York, New York. This is not an argument against Tarantino or anything, I just thought that I should point that out.
__________________
My Music Collection
RoemerMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:37 PM   #1875 (permalink)
Dr. Prunk
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Yeah, I hate it when people focus too much on certain filmmakers without appreciating other talents, I'm always searching for other talented filmmakers, I just consider Tarantino one of the best, I wouldn't say I'm a fanboy though.
__________________
It's only knock n' knowall, but I like it

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:09 PM   #1876 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
RoemerMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Klamath Falls, OR
Posts: 452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Yeah, I hate it when people focus too much on certain filmmakers without appreciating other talents, I'm always searching for other talented filmmakers, I just consider Tarantino one of the best, I wouldn't say I'm a fanboy though.
I'm not calling you a fanboy, I was just ranting.
__________________
My Music Collection
RoemerMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #1877 (permalink)
Da Hiphopopotamus
 
sweet_nothing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: cloud cuckoo land
Posts: 4,034
Default


Was actually really good, but I still dont get what the big deal with the joker was.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
America does folk, hardcore and mathrock better and that's 90% of what I give 2 shits on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartsengrafs View Post
sweet nothing openly flaunts the fact that he is merely the empty shell of an even more unadmirable member. his loneliness and need for attention bleeds through every letter he types. edit: i would just like to add that i'm ashamed that he's from texas. surely you didn't grow up in texas, did you sweet nothing?
sweet_nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #1878 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,967
Default



Charlie Kaufman is a genius.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:34 AM   #1879 (permalink)
we are stardust
 
Astronomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,894
Default

^ Love this movie. I actually have to teach it to a year 12 media class next year.
__________________
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:58 AM   #1880 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
As I said, I rated it like that because it achieved what it set out to do perfectly. Some people couldn't get into it and that's fine...but you can't really compare Spy kids with Speed racer, they're in separate universes as far as style goes, mainly because the former has none. But ok, I'll be the first to admit that I'm shallow and appreciate style and originality more than your regular cinema nut. That's why I liked 300 (that or the oily muscles, I get confused ).

Oh and I don't dismiss horror, I just can't get into trash, which seems to be horror's main domain.
It's not about being neccessarily shallow though. I like 300 and dumb ass Jean Claude Van Damme films but I would'nt class myself as shallow and a films asthetics and mise en scene do go a long way to make me appreciate a less than stellar film but it's not the primary factor. I am taking Speed Racer on both counts and unfortunately the lame story means that once you have seen the visuals a couple of times then it does'nt merit repeat viewings IMO.

Different strokes and all that though. I think films like The Fountain, Dark City and The Fountain work briliantly on both a script and asthetic level. As for the Wachowskis, I thought the whole Matrix trilogy was brilliant and Bound (their debut) is a great little noir thriller.

Horror equating trash is a lazy argument though. Watch 'Santa Sangre' for me and report back
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.