What's The Latest Film You Have Seen? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Media
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #19031 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,548
Default

Alphaville is my favourite Jean Luc Godard film behind Weekend. You should probably watch Night of the Hunter first though, that one's incredible.
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #19032 (permalink)
Aficionado of Fine Filth
 
Psy-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: You don't want to look in there.
Posts: 6,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Yeah, it's one of my favorites as well. Apparently, before the movie was released Orson Welles sent a letter to the studio about his displeasure of their cut and outlined a bunch of details for how to fix it to get it to his vision. I got a blu ray where they did their best to recut it and include some additional scenes to get it as close to his vision as possible. Gotta say, it's worth a watch if you like the original theatrical version.

Do you have any recommendations? I'm moving on to the Third Man next, but I need more!
I don't think I've seen the version with the additional scenes. I'll have to find a copy and check it out.

Here's a list of ones I've seen before that I think are worthy of watching. A few of these were new to me until recently, and others are old favorites that I've been re-watching or plan to re-watch over the next few weeks. I'm guessing you've probably seen some of them already.

Ace in the Hole (1951)
The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
The Big Heat (1953)
The Big Sleep (1946)
The Blue Dahlia (1946)
The Chase (1946)
Convicted (1950)
The Dark Corner (1946)
Detour (1945)
D.O.A. (1950)
Double Indemnity (1944)
Force of Evil (1948)
Framed (1947)
Gilda (1946)
Gun Crazy (1950)
This Gun for Hire (1942)
The Hitch-Hiker (1953)
In a Lonely Place (1950)
Key Largo (1948)
The Killers (1946)
The Killing (1956)
Kiss Me Deadly (1955)
Kiss of Death (1947)
The Lady From Shanghai (1947)
Laura (1944)
They Live By Night (1948)
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
The Man Who Cheated Himself (1950)
Murder, My Sweet (1944)
Nightmare Alley (1947)
Out of the Past (1947)
Pickup on South Street (1953)
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)
The Prowler (1951)
Quicksand (1950)
Raw Deal (1948)
Sunset Boulevard (1950)
Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
White Heat (1949)
The Woman in the Window (1944)
The Wrong Man (1956)

I'm probably forgetting some at the moment. There are so many good and great classic noir films out there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
A middle class job sounds like a boring menu option at a brothel

She's a Brick House
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #19033 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Alphaville is my favourite Jean Luc Godard film behind Weekend. You should probably watch Night of the Hunter first though, that one's incredible.
Got it...those have been added to the list as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy-Fi View Post
I don't think I've seen the version with the additional scenes. I'll have to find a copy and check it out.

Here's a list of ones I've seen before that I think are worthy of watching. A few of these were new to me until recently, and others are old favorites that I've been re-watching or plan to re-watch over the next few weeks. I'm guessing you've probably seen some of them already.

Ace in the Hole (1951)
The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
The Big Heat (1953)
The Big Sleep (1946)
The Blue Dahlia (1946)
The Chase (1946)
Convicted (1950)
The Dark Corner (1946)
Detour (1945)
D.O.A. (1950)
Double Indemnity (1944)
Force of Evil (1948)
Framed (1947)
Gilda (1946)
Gun Crazy (1950)
This Gun for Hire (1942)
The Hitch-Hiker (1953)
In a Lonely Place (1950)
Key Largo (1948)
The Killers (1946)
The Killing (1956)
Kiss Me Deadly (1955)
Kiss of Death (1947)
The Lady From Shanghai (1947)
Laura (1944)
They Live By Night (1948)
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
The Man Who Cheated Himself (1950)
Murder, My Sweet (1944)
Nightmare Alley (1947)
Out of the Past (1947)
Pickup on South Street (1953)
The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)
The Prowler (1951)
Quicksand (1950)
Raw Deal (1948)
Sunset Boulevard (1950)
Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
White Heat (1949)
The Woman in the Window (1944)
The Wrong Man (1956)

I'm probably forgetting some at the moment. There are so many good and great classic noir films out there.
Wow, thanks! There are plenty there I haven't seen. There are some real classics on that list. I was going through a Kubrick phase, and The Killing is actually what prompted my current noir binge.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #19034 (permalink)
Aficionado of Fine Filth
 
Psy-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: You don't want to look in there.
Posts: 6,799
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Wow, thanks! There are plenty there I haven't seen. There are some real classics on that list. I was going through a Kubrick phase, and The Killing is actually what prompted my current noir binge.
I watched The Killing for the first time a few months ago. Didn't even realize that Kubrick had written and directed it until after it ended.

And I was just taking a look through my DVD collection and came across 4 more that deserve to be on my previous list...

Kansas City Confidential (1952)
My Gun Is Quick (1957)
Panic in the Streets (1950)
The Stranger (1946)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
A middle class job sounds like a boring menu option at a brothel

She's a Brick House

Last edited by Psy-Fi; 03-16-2017 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo.
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #19035 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 11,332
Default

Rolling Stones: Crossfire Hurricane (it's on Netflix)

10/10

I don't care how old you are or if you are a fan of The Stones. SEE THIS.



P.S. I nominate them as the true original punk band. Some of the footage of their crowds in the mid 60s looks like it was taken during a Sex Pistols show in the late 70s.
__________________

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:12 AM   #19036 (permalink)
V8s & 12 Bars
 
EPOCH6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Rolling Stones: Crossfire Hurricane (it's on Netflix)

10/10
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssss. Never enough Stones documentaries, didn't even hear about this one coming out.

EDIT: On the topic of good rockumentaries.

This Dr. Feelgood documentary kills.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbycob View Post
There's 3 reason why the Rolling Stones are better. I'm going to list them here. 1. Jimi Hendrix from Rolling Stones was a better guitarist then Jimmy Page 2. The bassist from Rolling Stones isn't dead 3. Rolling Stobes wrote Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean so we all know they are superior here.
EPOCH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:23 AM   #19037 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post

P.S. I nominate them as the true original punk band. Some of the footage of their crowds in the mid 60s looks like it was taken during a Sex Pistols show in the late 70s.
They definitely had a punk dynamic, but there were predecessors like MC5 and even Link Wray. You could make the case that they were the first punk band to meet success though.
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #19038 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,216
Default

Why is it that bending over and making coughing noises is movie/TV shorthand for throwing up? In all my years of vomiting I have never once coughed while doing so. I guess I can maybe understand network TV doing it since maybe actual vomiting is verboten by the censors, but why do movies do it? It just sounds so dumb.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #19039 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,548
Default

I puked a few times when it was set off by coughing.
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #19040 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,216
Default





OMFG hell the **** yes! I never felt like I was watching some cheesy superhero movie, just a movie about people with spandex in their past. The characters were fantastic, the story was simple but highly effective, Patrick Stewart put in his best portrayal of Professor X to date hands down, and the action scenes were ****ing brutal.

Spoiler for dat ending:
And that ending was insane. When Logan took the medicine and just started manimalizing people, I felt like Hugh Jackman had ceased to exist and the ****ing Wolverine was now in front of me. And when Laura started turning the cross on his grave into an "X", at first I groaned. Like, are you serious? But after a few seconds I started getting the feels cause apparently the X-Men ****ing mean something to me or some ****.


Bummed that this will be both Jackman and Stewart's last times as Wolverine and Charles Xavier, but I doubt they're ever going to get a better or more fitting send off, so I'll just be happy that they gave me the best X-Men movie yet as a final gift.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go read Old Man Logan cause what the **** else could I do?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.