Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Members Journal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,861
Default JTF's Own Personal Artistic Hell Gauntlet

If You Feel That I've Crossed The line, Go Fuck Yourself I Could Give A Shit

I'm talking to you Yorkepussy

Now that that's out of the way, I've been here 4 years and have never spawned my own journal, so at this point I feel like I'm elevating my status as an MB member. Not really, this could fail horribly. This will be an area of free-flowing thoughts, PC/nonPC (your choice) opinions, comedic relief, tastemaking art, recommendations. You name it. I'll be reviewing music, films, concerts, video games, anything I can get my grubby mitts on. Possibly accept the occasional request. Post videos I'm enjoying, songs I'm listening too, pictures. Updates of my adventurous straight edge lifestyle.

So without further ado, a review.

The Babadook

The Babadook gives me faith in humanity. Not in that this is a cheerful movie, as you can maybe ascertain from the picture below, but that the state of horror in celluloid can (and will) remain a thriving genre not hell bent on delivering hollow jump scares or gratuitous guts, but something built and molded from the minds of people who know pure terror, or at least know how to film it.

With genre fare like "Ouija", and "Annabelle" proving loud sounds are starting to not fool the audience anymore, The Babadook takes that risky, bold move to use the silence and atmosphere to create a rife sense of dread that seems unrivaled in today's horror landscape. Since the day this film was released, it set a bar so high, It'll be hard to film anything scarier than this.

Essie Davis plays a woman suffering from a really late stage of grief, meanwhile raising a son never introduced to his father who tries agonizingly to keep her safe from an entity known as the "Babadook". The first time they suggested even so much of a glimpse of the Babadook, I felt fear I hadn't felt during a horror film since watching Friedkin's The Excorcist many, many years ago. And from that point on I opted to view the rest of the film through my fingers.

All In All, The Babadook is one of the scariest films of the last 25 years, wrapped nice and neat in gothic fairy tale chic. Highly recommended. Stop skipping this on your Netflix cue. 10/10

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 32,333
Default

****ing love that film.

I think that Mike Flannegan (Oculus, Hush) is going to make something really amazing in the future. Right now his films almost hit the mark, but their originality keeps it going for them.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
OQB
 
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Frownland
Posts: 8,743
Default

^ I really didn't like Hush, despite all fuss I've heard about it.

Review It Follows. I feel like it just comes hand in hand with The Babadook now since they both brought forward two different, yet equally exciting sides of independent horror films into the mainstream.
__________________
Music Blog / RYM / Last.fm / Qwertyy's Journal of Music Reviews and Other Assorted Ramblings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
be excellent 2 each other
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 32,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyy View Post
^ I really didn't like Hush, despite all fuss I've heard about it.

Review It Follows. I feel like it just comes hand in hand with The Babadook now since they both brought forward two different, yet equally exciting sides of independent horror films into the mainstream.
I feel the same way about Oculus too. I thought the premise and suspense was built well, but it did become aimless and pointless. There was no real motive for what happened in it and that would have made it way more interesting if the characters were a little more humanized or fleshed out.

Still have to see It Follows.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
OQB
 
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Frownland
Posts: 8,743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I feel the same way about Oculus too. I thought the premise and suspense was built well, but it did become aimless and pointless. There was no real motive for what happened in it and that would have made it way more interesting if the characters were a little more humanized or fleshed out.

Still have to see It Follows.
I think Hush was a touch better than Oculus, but they're both very "meh" in my books. Still better than some of the jump scare heavy modern horrors though, and I definitely do see some potential with Flannegan's desire to be a little different.

Get to watching It Follows, seriously. Not quite as good as The Babadook, but it has a killer score and the script was so well written.
__________________
Music Blog / RYM / Last.fm / Qwertyy's Journal of Music Reviews and Other Assorted Ramblings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Boku Dracula-kun
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,912
Default

DO THIS!!!



i
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
DO THIS!!!



i
I think you have a deal. Review of The Raid 2 should be up later. Ever get that feeling someone's pushing your eyeball into your socket? For fuck's sake it's destroying my head.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today

Last edited by Justthefacts; 05-15-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyy View Post
I think Hush was a touch better than Oculus, but they're both very "meh" in my books. Still better than some of the jump scare heavy modern horrors though, and I definitely do see some potential with Flannegan's desire to be a little different.

Get to watching It Follows, seriously. Not quite as good as The Babadook, but it has a killer score and the script was so well written.
Any film that uses an unstoppable entity as some allegory to aids, take all my money. Just the thought of that gives me a rock hard chub. Oh yeah, it's a good film too.

@Frown I can send you a torrent if you want.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today

Last edited by Justthefacts; 05-15-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Boku Dracula-kun
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 40,912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthefacts View Post
I think you have a deal. Review of The Raid 2 should be up later. Ever get that feeling someone's pushing your eyeball into your socket? For fuck's sake it's destroying my head.
Oh **** yes. That's a Violent J solo album BTW.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
OQB
 
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Frownland
Posts: 8,743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthefacts View Post
Any film that uses an unstoppable entity as some allegory to aids, take all my money. Just the thought of that gives me a rock hard chub. Oh yeah, it's a good film too.
But mostly rock hard chub, right?
__________________
Music Blog / RYM / Last.fm / Qwertyy's Journal of Music Reviews and Other Assorted Ramblings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.