Eminem - Revival - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > New Releases Ratings Forum
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Rate it out of 5
5 3 12.50%
4 4 16.67%
3 2 8.33%
2 6 25.00%
1 9 37.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2017, 08:25 PM   #121 (permalink)
Willowy Elven Boy
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Deli in Winn Dixie in Florida
Posts: 14,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
You actually did.

'If you're someone really into film you will probably be bored by a Transformers movie"

Is that not an assumption?
that's not the assumption you accused me of

which was more like "no one with good tastes could like something popular"
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
Are beehives and ant colonies unnatural? Cause they cooperate on a level we could hardly dream of.
elphenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:29 PM   #122 (permalink)
Cuter Than Post Malone.
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
that's not the assumption you accused me of

which was more like "no one with good tastes could like something popular"
That's your basic implication. It's more like they can't like something poppy, or simple. According to your assumptions. And that popular music is made to be that way. And you think it follows more of a formula than your music. You've implied that many times too.
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:30 PM   #123 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
You mad bro? Why is it hard to accept the truth? Do you NEED to believe that popularity has no merit at all because they CAN have fans that don't reach your standard of art appreciation?
Are you reading my posts? Again: Popularity is neither here nor there unless you go deeper with it at which point it's too surface level to even bring up.
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #124 (permalink)
Cuter Than Post Malone.
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Are you reading my posts? Popularity is neither here nor there unless you go deeper with it.
Yeah, and I agreed with that. The biggest question would be why is it popular? Initially, if something retains popularity, it has a good reason why. I think we both agree. And it's useless to bring up in personal opinions, we both agree.

Okay, but where you get lost is where I disagree with popular opinions being almost meaningless because you think certain types of fans are musical morons for not living up to your standard of musical appreciation. And you think they can make big enough of a bulk of any fan base to completely dismiss it.

Edit: And I think that statement tries to make it objective and if you want to make it objective I think musical opinion belongs to the masses. Maybe not on something as easily measured as technical ability or something like that, but just on the basic idea of what is good music.
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #125 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
Yeah, and I agreed with that. The biggest question would be why is it popular? Initially, if something retains popularity, it has a good reason why. I think we both agree. And it's useless to bring up in personal opinions, we both agree.
I still wouldn't say that the bolded is true, that's just a straight up fallacy. I can't get behind that. There's a degree of truth to the amount of people liking an artist, but like I said: you have to go deeper than popularity if you're going to be using it as a source of validation.

Quote:
Okay, but where you get lost is where I disagree with popular opinions being almost meaningless because you think certain types of fans are musical morons for not living up to your standard of musical appreciation. And you think they can make big enough of a bulk of any fan base to completely dismiss it.
Nope. Popularity has been awarded to a wide variety of artists for a wide variety of reasons, which means that it is not consistent across artists...are you reading my posts? It's useful as a sidenote and a sidenote only. If you value it differently, don't impose that dumb **** on me. Give me actual qualities of the music if you want to go toe to toe about an album. Your buddies don't know ****. I mean have you met people? They're ****ing idiots. I prefer my idiotic thoughts to theirs any day and you're an idiot if you don't think the same about your own opinions.
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #126 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
Edit: And I think that statement tries to make it objective and if you want to make it objective I think musical opinion belongs to the masses. Maybe not on something as easily measured as technical ability or something like that, but just on the basic idea of what is good music.
Do you also feel this way about science?

I stopped talking about Eminiem a long time ago btw.
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:04 PM   #127 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,811
Default

How 'bout that Eminem kid and his music, huh?
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #128 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,170
Default

He used to spit but I think he's just kinda there production-wise. Haven't listened to his latest.
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:08 PM   #129 (permalink)
Cuter Than Post Malone.
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Do you also feel this way about science?

I stopped talking about Eminiem a long time ago btw.
No, like I said, with something as subjective as art appreciation, I think the masses control the objective view on it. Science is not subjective.

Popularity has never been consistently awarded to an artist for a silly reason. There is always a reason with merit behind why an artist has retained popularity. I think artists have created the illusion of popularity, which isn't really popularity. It's like Nickelback. Now they are a huge band, they have tons of fans, they are mainstream, they seem to be popular, but the popular opinion is actually that they are terrible. 9/10 people will say they are trash. Or award shows. They tend to make artists look more popular than they actually are.
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:10 PM   #130 (permalink)
Cuter Than Post Malone.
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MERIT] View Post
How 'bout that Eminem kid and his music, huh?
It's important for me to get my point across.
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.