Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Pop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Is it true? Is Pop music is basically electronic music these days?
Yes 3 25.00%
No 4 33.33%
No, but it does sound similar to electronic music. 5 41.67%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Israel
Posts: 180
Default Is it true that Pop music is pretty much electronic music these days?

Hey guys. Well Ive been thinking. When I listen to pop songs from various artists I begin to realize that there are often much keyboard and synthesizer sounds present in them. I hear this so often in pop songs that I ask myself, is pop music is basically electronic music because of the electronic instruments that are being used so often?

Share your opinions.
Whiskey is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

No. There's certainly plenty of pop music with electronic elements, but there's also a lot that isn't primarily electronic in nature such as Bruno Mars, Taylor Swift and Mumford and Sons.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Exactly. There's a new wave of "folk-pop" (if that's what you want to call it) that is becoming very popular. With bands like Mumford & sons, as janszoon mentioned, and the lumineers, just to name a few.
blastingas10 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Groupie
 
GetYourBoogyOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Default

people tend to forget that the term ''pop music'' means popular music....mainstream wise. so, for an example bands like nickleback, are pop, but they don't have 'electronic music'' sounds. how come we only consider certain artists/sounds pop music?. for an example: kurt cobain didn't like the fact that his band was being considered pop because it was mainstream but it kinda was....I can name a million musicians who make mainstream Popular music but are not electronic...this is what happens when we start to categorize music in just one genre.
GetYourBoogyOn is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Groupie
 
InTrouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Default

The majority of it is definitely electronic-heavy, but I think that's just a trend. I'm kinda hoping it'll just pass and we'll move on to something more interesting because the whole retro-furturism thing is kinda overdone.
InTrouble is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
cooler commie than elph
 
Isbjørn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a hole, help
Posts: 2,633
Default

Pop music is a vague term. You could be referring to the genre, or just really popular music. But either way, a lot of today's pop and R&B music have electronic and synth influences, but shouldn't be considered "electronic music". There are exceptions of course, like Bruno Mars' reggae-influenced sound and Taylor Swift's previous works.
Isbjørn is offline  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briks View Post
Pop music is a vague term. You could be referring to the genre, or just really popular music. But either way, a lot of today's pop and R&B music have electronic and synth influences, but shouldn't be considered "electronic music". There are exceptions of course, like Bruno Mars' reggae-influenced sound and Taylor Swift's previous works.
It's also worth noting that "electronic music" is also an incredibly vague term and not really a genre in and of itself.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline  
Old 01-31-2013, 08:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
cooler commie than elph
 
Isbjørn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a hole, help
Posts: 2,633
Default

Oh. Whenever someone says "electronic music", I think of EDM.
Isbjørn is offline  
Old 01-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Israel
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It's also worth noting that "electronic music" is also an incredibly vague term and not really a genre in and of itself.
Of course Electronic music isnt a genre. It simply refers to the electronic genres such as trance, techno, house and so on. Pretty sure people realize that by themselves.
Whiskey is offline  
Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Of course Electronic music isnt a genre. It simply refers to the electronic genres such as trance, techno, house and so on. Pretty sure people realize that by themselves.
You've completely missed the point of my comment.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.