Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Pop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #51 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Your entire musical philosophy is grounded in your own personal tastes? Alright then.

I don't like peanut butter. Therefore, peanut butter sucks and anyone that likes it is dumb and has bad taste in spreadable foods.
If you can't tell what's actually being said then it's more likely that you're projecting your own insecurities about artists you like, and apparently you by extension (in your own mind), being criticized.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #52 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Your entire musical philosophy is grounded in your own personal tastes? Alright then.

I don't like peanut butter. Therefore, peanut butter sucks and anyone that likes it is dumb and has bad taste in spreadable foods.
It is not unfair or even out of the ordinary that I consider the subjective things I think are bad to be bad. The whole "but they're a good musician" argument is just a cheap way for people to feel justified about their own music taste in the face of someone disagreeing with them.

Although when it comes to Mariah Carey, yes you are kind of dumb for liking that blatantly manufactured and dull tripe (I might as well become the straw man at this point, right?).
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #53 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 11,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
It is not unfair or even out of the ordinary that I consider the subjective things I think are bad to be bad. The whole "but they're a good musician" argument is just a cheap way for people to feel justified about their own music taste in the face of someone disagreeing with them.
But I'm saying they're good pop songs that just happen to have a virtuoso singer on them.

Once again you're being dismissive towards other someone else's tastes. And you wonder why you're considered a pompous condescending dick around here? I actually think you wear the title with a weird sense of pride.
__________________
General Rules:
• While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, trolling, purposeless inflammatory posts or members deliberately provoking another member into committing any of these acts. - Mods exempt.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #54 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,128
Default

Congrats on having a low bar that's really easy to make fun of I guess?

And to be fair, I was answering DWV's question with the good musician bit and I stand by it. Not everything is about you, sunshine.

Now go bang on a bucket and call it music.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #55 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
But I'm saying they're good pop songs that just happen to have a virtuoso singer on them.

Once again you're being dismissive towards other someone else's tastes. And you wonder why you're considered a pompous condescending dick around here? I actually think you wear the title with a weird sense of pride.
How many months till your panties unbunch? Cause this is getting tedious.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #56 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
How many months till your panties unbunch? Cause this is getting tedious.
4-8 years.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #57 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
4-8 years.
But he'll be dead by then... oh!
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #58 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 11,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Congrats on having a low bar that's really easy to make fun of I guess?
Condescending? Check.
Douchebag? Check.
Dismissive? Check.
Dick? Check.

Define bar? I like tons of ridiculously complex music. I like some simple pop tunes. A good melody is a good melody regardless of where your own bar resides.

As far as my panties go? I figure they'll unbunch right around this time.



P.S. My nickname in High School was Sunshine because I use to drop so much of the Orange kind.
__________________
General Rules:
• While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, trolling, purposeless inflammatory posts or members deliberately provoking another member into committing any of these acts. - Mods exempt.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #59 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,128
Default



Till death? Oh joy.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #60 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
A good melody is a good melody regardless of where your own bar resides.
I'd also like to point out how crazy wrong this is because what you determine to be good is literally determined by your bar for good music lol. Stop acting like there are undeniable facts of what great music is and that Mariah Carey qualifies as one, if they do exist.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.