Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Prog & Psychedelic Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2017, 05:44 PM   #91 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Omfg you know I meant muzak type **** you dense twat.

I never said all prog is new agey. That would be inherently wrong. This isn't even about your **** tsste in prog, it's about neoprog in general.
Ah, I see. As a mod, you're allowed to hurl personal insults, but I'm not? Good to know. Good to know.

You presented that song as an example of new age. It isn't new age. You called all neo prog new age. It ain't. I also don't see why you say the bolded: the original question was about prog in general, which certainly takes in personal tastes. It was you who made the pithy, disparaging and ill-informed and badly-backed-up insult, not me. So you're the one swinging the thread off topic pal.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:45 PM   #92 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,740
Default

... and back on topic we go.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #93 (permalink)
Komopingetmi
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,324
Default

TH, you're clearly defending it because you're defending your taste given that you enjoy quite a bit of tepid, new agey neoprog. That's why I brought up your taste.

And note the following sentence. Repeat it to yourself until you understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Omfg you know I meant muzak type **** you dense twat.
Another example of what I'm talking about is most anything Devin Townsend.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:49 PM   #94 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
TH, you're clearly defending it because you're defending your taste given that you enjoy quite a bit of tepid, new agey neoprog. That's why I brought up your taste.

And note the following sentence. Repeat it to yourself until you understand it.
Very little I listen to is new age, and certainly no prog that I'm aware of.
And thanks for repeating the personal insult. Once more and I'm reporting you, you nasty person. I'm getting a little tired of you flaunting the rules and thinking you're above them just because you're a mod. You're not: it's not one rule for mods and one for everyone else. Don't call me a twat again. I'm not remotely joking.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:49 PM   #95 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 102
Default

I am MORE than a proper proghead.
...............

My fav Gentle Giant lp is the third, "Three Friends" which has the BEST ending in all prog (better even than "Suppers Ready" or Lighthouse Keepers"). A complex bass line with big churchy-sound. (In his prog book, Macan is correct to say the best prog epics employed secular musics for their build-ups.).

Most proggers rate other lps (like Octopus & Power & Glory) over 3 Friends ,but not I. Three Friends has a good concept of 3 aging childhood friends who have not seen each other for decades and who re-live school memories by going through their old school. One became a poor struggling artist, one a labourer and one a rich & powerful man.
I love the last line:

"Once three friends/ Sweet in sadness/ now part of their past/In the end/Went from CLASS to CLASS."
vambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:53 PM   #96 (permalink)
WWWP f*cks dogs
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 39,001
Default

I like how this thread is progressing.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #97 (permalink)
Komopingetmi
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Very little I listen to is new age, and certainly no prog that I'm aware of.
And thanks for repeating the personal insult. Once more and I'm reporting you, you nasty person. I'm getting a little tired of you flaunting the rules and thinking you're above them just because you're a mod. You're not: it's not one rule for mods and one for everyone else. Don't call me a twat again. I'm not remotely joking.
Sigh. Let me know if you want to consider any point that I've made if you tire of zeroing on my wording and densely ignoring the actual meaning of what I'm trying to communicate to you. Mash dat report button.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #98 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,500
Default

rostasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #99 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
TH, you're clearly defending it because you're defending your taste given that you enjoy quite a bit of tepid, new agey neoprog. That's why I brought up your taste.
You are, again, wrong. I'm not in any way defending anything. I already made it clear, over the years we've been sparring, that I accept that you, and others, don't like my music taste, and that's fine. I'm not trying to defend my music. I'm pointing out that you are wrong when you describe it as new age, because it is not. That's all.
Quote:


Another example of what I'm talking about is most anything Devin Townsend.
Another example of you being wrong. Admittedly, I have not heard too much Townsend, but while what I have heard has been typically overproduced to death, it couldn't remotely be called new age, nor muzak. Basically, can you imagine it playing in lifts/elevators? If not then it ain't new age, or what I take new age to be, given the definition already cited and what I have personally heard of new age music (Stephen Cadell, Eddie Jobson (that name may be wrong, it's a long time since I heard the one song, "Endless Dream" but it was Eddie something), Solar Fields, Andrew Miles, Gandalf, even Vangelis maybe, perhaps JMJ...)
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:59 PM   #100 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Sigh. Let me know if you want to consider any point that I've made if you tire of zeroing on my wording and densely ignoring the actual meaning of what I'm trying to communicate to you. Mash dat report button.
I've already addressed your points, many times. You're the one who wants to stoop to petty insults. You do you. But don't call me names again. It's annoying and tiresome, and you don't do it to anyone else. I know you mean it, which is why I am considering reporting you. I've never reported anyone in my six years here, but you're getting close.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.