Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Greatest White Rapper Poll
Eminem 216 41.54%
Eyedea 8 1.54%
Brother Ali 7 1.35%
Slug 22 4.23%
EL P 11 2.12%
Beastie Boys 80 15.38%
Cage 3 0.58%
3rd Bass 3 0.58%
Sage Francis 22 4.23%
Vanilla Ice 18 3.46%
Everlast (House of Pain) 10 1.92%
ICP 3 0.58%
Lil Wyte 8 1.54%
Mac Lethal 0 0%
Paul Wall 3 0.58%
Kid Rock 6 1.15%
Aesop Rock 51 9.81%
Other (please specify) 49 9.42%
Voters: 520. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #821 (permalink)
Seemingly Silenced
 
crash_override's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 2,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
I disagree. Firstly, there is a fine line between a One Trick Pony and a signature style. Second, you dismiss the possibility of his having artistic integrity by claiming he uses his musical career to bring attention to himself. And yet, I'm having a hard time remember the last time Eminem did something that could legitimetly be called a publicity stunt. He even took a musical hiatus and dropped off the face of the Earth for a while to deal with his problems privately. It's only through his music that he exorsizes his personal problems. And I ask you, isn't that the hallmark of a great artist?

Was his stuff a little immature at times? Definetly. But he was always deeper than his lyrics, the naivety of both his persona and his fans wrapped themselves in infinate layers of irony. A true satirist. Was a lot of his subject matter used purely for shock value? Yes. He's even said this himself. Listen to any D12 song and it's clear that it's just bullsh*tting, makes for some fun hip hop though. And when he did delve deeper into his pysche, the results were sincere and often quite beautiful. Over all, he's a great emcee and i'm sure a pretty cool guy.

And be careful about how you use the term "white trash". As far as I'm concerned it's as derogative as a few other words.
"I'm tired of being white trash, broke, and always poor. I'm tired of taking pop bottles back to the party store..."
__________________
My MB music journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEY
"Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told".
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #822 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

I didn't say I agreed with everything he ever said. It feels great being discriminated against because your white and don't have a lot of money. I don't care what people say the phrase supposedly means, that's how it's used. Just like n*gger, f*ggot, ch*nk... etc. All in the same playing field in my honest opinion.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #823 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
I disagree. Firstly, there is a fine line between a One Trick Pony and a signature style. Second, you dismiss the possibility of his having artistic integrity by claiming he uses his musical career to bring attention to himself. And yet, I'm having a hard time remember the last time Eminem did something that could legitimetly be called a publicity stunt. He even took a musical hiatus and dropped off the face of the Earth for a while to deal with his problems privately. It's only through his music that he exorsizes his personal problems. And I ask you, isn't that the hallmark of a great artist?

Was his stuff a little immature at times? Definetly. But he was always deeper than his lyrics, the naivety of both his persona and his fans wrapped themselves in infinate layers of irony. A true satirist. Was a lot of his subject matter used purely for shock value? Yes. He's even said this himself. Listen to any D12 song and it's clear that it's just bullsh*tting, makes for some fun hip hop though. And when he did delve deeper into his pysche, the results were sincere and often quite beautiful. Over all, he's a great emcee and i'm sure a pretty cool guy.

And be careful about how you use the term "white trash". As far as I'm concerned it's as derogative as a few other words.
I won't take issue with any of the points that you've made. They're all quite relevant and I would be lying if I told you that there's not a single Eminem song that I enjoy. There are a few, but I enjoy them purely for their novelty and for the fact that-- and I will always concede that he is, a great lyricist, but as I said in my previous post, it takes more than that to make an emcee great.

But the title of this thread is "Greatest White Rapper" and I know that the career that Eminem has had has elevated him to a status that he is completely undeserving of and it is this status, which is largely a product of strategic marketing and Em's work ethic, that has made him a household name in our country, not his unrivaled talent. There are emcees and hip hop groups out there that demonstrate greater talent and artistic integrity than he does.

I do apologize for using the term "white trash".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #824 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
I didn't say I agreed with everything he ever said. It feels great being discriminated against because your white and don't have a lot of money. I don't care what people say the phrase supposedly means, that's how it's used. Just like n*gger, f*ggot, ch*nk... etc. All in the same playing field in my honest opinion.
To me the term white trash denotes ignorance, insolence, and a lack of purpose, not insolvency, and that was the way that I meant it. It doesn't justify what I said at all, but I wanted to clarify that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #825 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
I won't take issue with any of the points that you've made. They're all quite relevant and I would be lying if I told you that there's not a single Eminem song that I enjoy. There are a few, but I enjoy them purely for their novelty and for the fact that-- and I will always concede that he is, a great lyricist, but as I said in my previous post, it takes more than that to make an emcee great.

But the title of this thread is "Greatest White Rapper" and I know that the career that Eminem has had has elevated him to a status that he is completely undeserving of and it is this status, which is largely a product of strategic marketing and Em's work ethic, that has made him a household name in our country, not his unrivaled talent. There are emcees and hip hop groups out there that demonstrate greater talent and artistic integrity than he does.

I do apologize for using the term "white trash".
I know what you're saying completely. There are far more creative hip hop acts out there who deserve praise. Same goes with any genre, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
To me the term white trash denotes ignorance, insolence, and a lack of purpose, not insolvency, and that was the way that I meant it. It doesn't justify what I said at all, but I wanted to clarify that.
I don't mean to be touchy about it and I know you meant nothing by saying it. I've just had some bad experiences defending family members who aren't as fortunate as I was growing up, and even recently since entering rap music myself have just been really turned off by the stereotyping that still goes on. It's just a personal thing. I really had no need to jump at you about it.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #826 (permalink)
أمهاتك[وهور]Aura Euphoria
 
Thrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Florida/Buffalo/CT
Posts: 2,077
Default

The fact that he was white trash with a mic is the entire inspiration of the SSLP, the greatest hip hop album ever. The thing is he decided that being a POS wasn't cutting it, so he combined talent and emotion and changed his life.

When it comes to 'white trash', I feel the term describes the type of person that doesn't do anything about their lives, and therefore are very deserving of the term as it applies. As Conan said, there are many terms for each race, but they all describe the same type of person, regardless of skin color. I feel they are as equally derogatory as a term used for a crooked politician with plenty of money.
__________________


Lew Harrison, who looked like an anarchist with his red eyes and fierce black beard, had been writing furiously in one corner of the room. "That's good—happiness by the kilowatt," he said. "Buy your happiness the way you buy light."
Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #827 (permalink)
Take it easy, but take it
 
Hank The Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 213
Default

Wow.
There are some extremely talented white rappers out there. One that quickly comes to mind is R.A. the Rugged Man. The verse he spits in Jedi Mind Tricks Uncommon Valor is deadly. Several others are really solid rappers imo. Eminem was just the biggest white rapper. Don't get me wrong I respect his early work. With that being said I don't think he deserves the credit he gets. He released two good albums with a few songs on some others that were good. He didn't exactly re-write the How to Rap book. Sometimes his flow even annoys me, and his lyrics were good but a lot of his stuff was clearly written for shock value and nothing more. No real substance in a lot of it. Others write lyrics just as solid as his. He has pretty enjoyable beats, but nothing that deserves being worshiped or anything.

Eminem has become more about nostalgia than anything for me. I still enjoy MMLP and SSLP, but I now know how much better rap there is out there.
__________________
“If a song can't be written in 20 minutes, it ain't worth writing.” - Hank Williams
Hank The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #828 (permalink)
أمهاتك[وهور]Aura Euphoria
 
Thrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Florida/Buffalo/CT
Posts: 2,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank The Drifter View Post
Wow.
There are some extremely talented white rappers out there. One that quickly comes to mind is R.A. the Rugged Man. The verse he spits in Jedi Mind Tricks Uncommon Valor is deadly. Several others are really solid rappers imo. Eminem was just the biggest white rapper. Don't get me wrong I respect his early work. With that being said I don't think he deserves the credit he gets. He released two good albums with a few songs on some others that were good. He didn't exactly re-write the How to Rap book. Sometimes his flow even annoys me, and his lyrics were good but a lot of his stuff was clearly written for shock value and nothing more. No real substance in a lot of it. Others write lyrics just as solid as his. He has pretty enjoyable beats, but nothing that deserves being worshiped or anything.

Eminem has become more about nostalgia than anything for me. I still enjoy MMLP and SSLP, but I now know how much better rap there is out there.
This is the part where you suggest the other that write lyrics as solid as his please I would love to hear something better.
__________________


Lew Harrison, who looked like an anarchist with his red eyes and fierce black beard, had been writing furiously in one corner of the room. "That's good—happiness by the kilowatt," he said. "Buy your happiness the way you buy light."
Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #829 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 973
Default

Eminem for sure... One of the best rappers EVER regardless of skin color.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #830 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Fatt Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montgomery, Alabama
Posts: 48
Default

Id half to say Lil Wyte, I do like eminem buts he's blown up to much and his music is kinda getn over played, thats why I like lil wyte nobody plays his music much anymore, Im probaly like 1 outta 10 people in my town that still plays his music.
__________________
Fatt Matt Remember That

“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley
Fatt Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.