Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Kamikazi Kat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 329
Default Anybody got any good rap artists to share?

I like rap, but the artists I know of are pretty limited, mostly because I don't listen to that many well known or mainstream rappers. So, I'm asking you guys if you provide some recommendations. Here is the kind of rap I listen to:

Aesop Rock
cLOUDDEAD
Sound Providers
Blue Scholars

I like rap that blends jazz elements in, like Sound Providers. I don't really pay much attention to the lyrics, but more the flow and rythum of their voice, the production and sound. Although I'm willing to actually try to pay attention to the lyrics. As with most music I like to listen to, I like experimentation. I've heard most rappers that are well known (Enimen, Tupac, ect.)
Kamikazi Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

What if a rapper has good flow but terrible lyrics? Just askin.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Existential Egoist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikazi Kat View Post
I like rap, but the artists I know of are pretty limited, mostly because I don't listen to that many well known or mainstream rappers. So, I'm asking you guys if you provide some recommendations. Here is the kind of rap I listen to:

Aesop Rock
cLOUDDEAD
Sound Providers
Blue Scholars

I like rap that blends jazz elements in, like Sound Providers. I don't really pay much attention to the lyrics, but more the flow and rythum of their voice, the production and sound. Although I'm willing to actually try to pay attention to the lyrics. As with most music I like to listen to, I like experimentation. I've heard most rappers that are well known (Enimen, Tupac, ect.)
A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, De la Soul, Black Star. That should help you, though you might have known of them.
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Kamikazi Kat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
What if a rapper has good flow but terrible lyrics? Just askin.
I don't know, still worth checking out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, De la Soul, Black Star. That should help you, though you might have known of them.
Haven't heard of any of them, I'll check them out.

Listening to Award Tour by A Tribe calleD Quest, I like what I hear so far.
Kamikazi Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: I live in Texas
Posts: 5
Default

yeah

atmosphere
murs
mf doom
madlib
stones throw records...
the fugees
jtf78676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 7
Default

Check out moorish delta 7, youtube it they are a british rap band simular to getto boys their best song was silent scream i dont know how well british urban slang will translate but md7 are quite americanised at times also their song levels is quite original (i dont have much interest in rap except the more ballady american stuff and some uk stuff in general)

If you search british rap on wikipedia a lot of the early uk rappers either were hardcore or had jazz elements, worth a read
HATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
TROY148's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Your mum, where she is- that's where I live
Posts: 88
Default

I suggest Lightheaded who are similar to the Sound providers, Blackalicious who are jsut fantastic, and CYNE a more underground rap group with some nice flow and heavy lyrics.
TROY148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
I love Puck
 
Laces Out Dan!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 4,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikazi Kat View Post
Haven't heard of any of them, I'll check them out.

Listening to Award Tour by A Tribe calleD Quest, I like what I hear so far.
Those are 3 of my favourites. Also check out Blueprint. He's done some work with Aesop. He's in "alchemy".
__________________
We are entirely smooth, We admit to the truth, We are the best at what we do.
Laces Out Dan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Forest Park, GA
Posts: 1,634
Default

^ Definitely check out Blueprint. Saw him live.

Check Atmosphere, Blueprint, Murs, Cage, Tech N9ne,
__________________
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

Try 'Strange Fruit Project'.
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.