Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #51 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23
Default

his songs are being killed by the radio, never really liked empire state of mind much anyway but i liked run this town before they killed it. I think that the problem with the bpIII is not the lyrics, the problem is that the music is weak. It just seems like it was rushed to me, like even one of the better songs "already home" has sense of being a real song, no songcraft, just kind of a loop.
M.C. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #52 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23
Default

As good as Jay-Z is, I'll take Nas anyday. I couldn't imagine rap without either of them but Nas would be a bigger loss for me.
M.C. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #53 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 16
Default

I think that Jay album is craxxy. If your on the come up, when you go to bed you dream of success, when you wake up in the morning you day dream success, then this is the album you want to listen to.
Quote:
We just witnessed the dream as predicted by martin luther?...Or you can follow me to the white house, get your suit up?
I don't know about y'all but i'm trying to get my suit up. The Purple tape 2 was nasty as well, but that ****s more like TV to me.
Thewebsetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #54 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9
Default

Empire State of Mind is a great track.
I don't by any means think its one of his best albums, but I think its decent.
Props to Jay, considering hes been around for so long he must be runnin out of ideas now.
strak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #55 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Reasonable Doubt is one of the two album I own of his. I've never found the lyrics particularly noteworthy. Any specific songs off of it?
Jesus man, sin against god. Reasonable Doubt is one of the worst I'd think. He gets stronger as he creates.

I'm not a big rap guy so I'm sure I should be saying something hip like the young kids are but I feel like Jay-Z above all other rappers is an artist. He has an idea of where things are going musically, and especailly as it relates to the lyrics.

I don't know what to tell you other than most things I hear from him, on his own album are pretty great. If he shows up on someone elses (R. Kelly, Nas) I think he's not as good. (Black Republican especailly seemed Mailed in)

My favorite tracks are (and in the order I think you should listen to them are)

Takeover
Lucifer
99 Problems
Dirt off your shoulders
30 Something.

Try em. Let me know. Also, dig the huge David Bowie swipe in Takeover.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #56 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23
Default

By getting in bed with politicians instead of taking the artists vital role of being critical of or a check on politics, jay-z sold out. kinda like bono.
M.C. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:10 AM   #57 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Axiomatic Wiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Souvlaki Space Station
Posts: 99
Default

Jay Z, really invokes a bias I possess, that really prevents me from enjoying anyting Jay Z makes. I cant help it that he is a tellentless *******, and somehow made a crap load of money playing of the stupidity of the main stream audience. Jay Z does not knwo the definition of word play. He could not create good lyrics if his life depeneded on it, and the sad part, is that the fan base not only accepts it, they embrace it. Hip Hop has always been a battle of intellectual wits, but recently, it has been turned into a battle off elite stupidity. Musicians like, Jay Z, and P Diddy, are the only ones we can blame for this horrible post gangsta rap that has emerged. I probably pick on Jay Z the most, but anyone who clames to be a prodigy of Biggie, and than stab him in the back by making music that lakcs any trace of lyricism or wordplay, something that jayZ stood for completely, , just fuels my hatred towards the talentless *******.




I love me some good Hip Hop, and I will never find it within the depths of Jay Z's library
Axiomatic Wiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:19 AM   #58 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Jesus man, sin against god. Reasonable Doubt is one of the worst I'd think. He gets stronger as he creates.

I'm not a big rap guy so I'm sure I should be saying something hip like the young kids are but I feel like Jay-Z above all other rappers is an artist. He has an idea of where things are going musically, and especailly as it relates to the lyrics.

I don't know what to tell you other than most things I hear from him, on his own album are pretty great. If he shows up on someone elses (R. Kelly, Nas) I think he's not as good. (Black Republican especailly seemed Mailed in)

My favorite tracks are (and in the order I think you should listen to them are)

Takeover
Lucifer
99 Problems
Dirt off your shoulders
30 Something.

Try em. Let me know. Also, dig the huge David Bowie swipe in Takeover.
"Takeover"—Musically, I probably like this more than anything I've ever heard by Jay-Z. I dig the fuzz bass and the harpsichord-sounding keyboard a lot. The lyrics were pretty weak and cliche though and the rapping is dull.

"Lucifer"—The rapping is better on this one but the music and lyrics are very middle-of-the-road. The end result doesn't really grab me.

"99 Problems"—I'm already pretty familiar with this one. It's just a generic pop rap song as far as I'm concerned. Musically bland, lyrically embarrassing.

"Dirt Off Your Shoulders"—My least favorite of the bunch. Incredibly generic on all levels.

"30 Something"—According to YouTube, this one was produced by Dr. Dre but for some reason it sounds musically like Dre-lite or something. The rapping: weak, possibly the weakest of these five songs. The lyrics: bland.

Sorry, I guess I just don't see the appeal here. Thanks for sharing though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #59 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
"Takeover"—Musically, I probably like this more than anything I've ever heard by Jay-Z. I dig the fuzz bass and the harpsichord-sounding keyboard a lot. The lyrics were pretty weak and cliche though and the rapping is dull.

"Lucifer"—The rapping is better on this one but the music and lyrics are very middle-of-the-road. The end result doesn't really grab me.

"99 Problems"—I'm already pretty familiar with this one. It's just a generic pop rap song as far as I'm concerned. Musically bland, lyrically embarrassing.

"Dirt Off Your Shoulders"—My least favorite of the bunch. Incredibly generic on all levels.

"30 Something"—According to YouTube, this one was produced by Dr. Dre but for some reason it sounds musically like Dre-lite or something. The rapping: weak, possibly the weakest of these five songs. The lyrics: bland.

Sorry, I guess I just don't see the appeal here. Thanks for sharing though.
you're dead to me.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #60 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
you're dead to me.
Aw. At least I gave them a listen, right?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.