Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #411 (permalink)
MOuthWIdeSHut
 
likuidcoka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hippocampus
Posts: 85
Default

Mos Def


Ecstatic album

Peace before anything.. God before everything.. LOve before anything.. Real before everything... Humble for anyplace... Truth before anything...

Jay-Z



Song Cry

I can't see 'em comin down my eyes
So I gotta make the song cry
I can't see 'em comin down my eyes
So I gotta make the song cry

A face of stone, was shocked on the other end of the phone
Word back home is that you had a special friend
So what was oh so special then?
You have given away without gettin at me
That's your fault, how many times you forgiven me?
How was I to know that you was plain sick of me?
I know the way a nigga livin was whack
But you don't get a nigga back like that!
**** I'm a man with pride, you don't do **** like that
You don't just pick up and leave and leave me sick like that
You don't throw away what we had, just like that
I was just ****in them girls, I was gon' get right back
They say you can't turn a bad girl good
But once a good girl's goin bad, she's gone forever..
And more forever
**** I gotta live with the fact I did you wrong forever

Lil Wayne
La La La...


But I ain't tellin jokes... apparently
Apparent, yeah my daughter be the twinkle of my eye
You hurt her, you kill me and nigga I ain't bout to die
See y'all are at ground, and my daughter is my sky
I swear I look in her face and I just want to break out and fly
Four tears in my face and you ain't never heard me cry
I'm richer than all y'all, I got a bank full of pride




Ice Cube
Blame Gangster Rap

R..A...W...

Its about Dope Lyrics and Delivery.
Im UTah i got multiple bitches..
and reconize im the capt and you the liutenant





SPM

Mom I promise one day Imma stop
Imma grow up and be an astronaut...
Daddy represent the Screwston TEx
Every body knows that my back is not DRy



Immortal Technique

OBnoxious

dope ****.


I only got five but there you go.
Its Hip hop and Rap a lil of both.
__________________
likuidcoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #412 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Man, i made a little controversy. I do like bands that are underground, but rap, maybe I just didn't hear anything I like yet. The music is a big thing for me also, if it doesn't do anything for me, than what can i say...still looking for alternatives though.
M.C. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #413 (permalink)
you know what it is
 
simplephysics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. D View Post
Man, i made a little controversy. I do like bands that are underground, but rap, maybe I just didn't hear anything I like yet. The music is a big thing for me also, if it doesn't do anything for me, than what can i say...still looking for alternatives though.
I'm not sure what you're getting at, why wouldn't underground hip hop qualify as rap music? Who have you tried listening to? I'm sure with the right suggestions you'll find something you can dig.
__________________
one font under god
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I could be cute if I wanted to be, I just choose not to because you wouldn't be able to handle yourself.
simplephysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #414 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23
Default

I just listened to that immortal technique clip, not bad.
M.C. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #415 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23
Default

BTW, I meant the music of a song as opposed to the rapping, i.e. beats, melodies.
M.C. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #416 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_phantom13 View Post
If you want to do it based solely on when they started, Jungle Brothers were producing a fusion of jazz and hip hop before De La Soul or ATCQ, and their debut album Straight out of the Jungle launched The Native Tongues Posse, where all of the early jazz rap stuff came from. The album was released in '88, a year before 3 Feet High and Rising. Really, ATCQ was eyed by Geffen Records in early 1989, and they made a 5 song demo for them which included a few of the tracks from People's Instinctive Travels.... So they had already developed their sound and recorded part of their debut by the time De La Soul's first album came out. Also, ATCQ sort of formed in 1985, 2 years before De La Soul, but was just Q-Tip and Jarobi doing rap battles. They were originally called Crush Connection, then Quest, and didn't pick their full name until 1988, when Jungle Brothers gave it to them. So they actually did come first. And they were friends with Jungle Brothers before De La Soul was around. In all reality, though, Jungle Brothers, ATCQ, and De La Soul were essentially around making music together in The Native Tongue Posse at the same time, it's just that ATCQ took longer to release their new album.

So really, both bands are probably equally responsible for creating alternative rap, and in reality less so than The Jungle Brothers They were both trying to make chill, laid back nonsense music heavily influenced by jazz at the same time. And it's really quite sad that Rolling Stone once said De La Soul paved the way for the Jungle Brothers... can't forgive them for that.
Bleh, Jungle Brothers. Influential and good, I guess, but I don't like listening to them at all, so boring. De La Soul, like, made it right. Plus, they did more with samples and had for more impressive beats - and they have done more to earn more credibility than Jungle Brothers. Not to mention, the rappers were far more interesting.

For ATCQ vs. De La Soul vs. Jungle Brothers, I give the edge to De La Soul for reasons aforementioned.

Just because the idea of A Tribe Called Quest existed before De La Soul put out their first album makes no difference. I know, they all existed at same times, and so on. It's like the Big Daddy Kane vs. Rakim thing, there's not a solid winner on "who did it first," because they both were doing it at the same time.

lol @ Rolling Stone.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:53 PM   #417 (permalink)
you know what it is
 
simplephysics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. D View Post
BTW, I meant the music of a song as opposed to the rapping, i.e. beats, melodies.
ahh, I can understand that. I guess it all just boils down to what you're willing to put up with. There are emcees all across the map, you shouldn't have to deal with the same old dead pan delivery. I hate to pull out an obvious choice but Aesop Rock has great style, you should give him a go if you haven't already. Busdriver is someone to look into as well, he's definitely not a one dimensional emcee either.
__________________
one font under god
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I could be cute if I wanted to be, I just choose not to because you wouldn't be able to handle yourself.
simplephysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #418 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnaught View Post
ahh, I can understand that. I guess it all just boils down to what you're willing to put up with. There are emcees all across the map, you shouldn't have to deal with the same old dead pan delivery. I hate to pull out an obvious choice but Aesop Rock has great style, you should give him a go if you haven't already. Busdriver is someone to look into as well, he's definitely not a one dimensional emcee either.
I thought you didn't like Busdriver. Have you come around or do I have you confused with someone else?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #419 (permalink)
you know what it is
 
simplephysics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I thought you didn't like Busdriver. Have you come around or do I have you confused with someone else?
No, you're right. I think Busdriver is a talented artist with a different approach to certain conventions in hip hop, but he's just not for me.. maybe for someone looking for a wider range of delivery, but I can't call myself a full blown fan just yet.
__________________
one font under god
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I could be cute if I wanted to be, I just choose not to because you wouldn't be able to handle yourself.
simplephysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #420 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnaught View Post
No, you're right. I think Busdriver is a talented artist with a different approach to certain conventions in hip hop, but he's just not for me.. maybe for someone looking for a wider range of delivery, but I can't call myself a full blown fan just yet.
Ah. I see.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.