Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Reggae & Ska (https://www.musicbanter.com/reggae-ska/)
-   -   Outside of Jamaica, which country embrace Reggae the most? (https://www.musicbanter.com/reggae-ska/17520-outside-jamaica-country-embrace-reggae-most.html)

Andy1980 07-16-2006 04:08 AM

Outside of Jamaica, which country embrace Reggae the most?
 
Is it England, Japan, belgium, Germany, Italy, central and south america or Africa on a whole? I want to know from people from other countries if you hear reggae on the radio and on the music charts regularly other than Sean Paul and shaggy.

Do year hear a Bounty killer or a Beres alongside a Maria Carey or a Kanye or is everything seperated in little groups like in the states..

right-track 07-16-2006 10:10 AM

Assuming your omitting other Caribbean countries like Barbados etc...
I'd say England.

mosesandtherubberducky 07-16-2006 10:47 AM

England

Raine 07-16-2006 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy1980
Is it England, Japan, belgium, Germany, Italy, central and south america or Africa on a whole? I want to know from people from other countries if you hear reggae on the radio and on the music charts regularly other than Sean Paul and shaggy.

Do year hear a Bounty killer or a Beres alongside a Maria Carey or a Kanye or is everything seperated in little groups like in the states..

Japan and England
Japan only because of the hype around reggae and people like Pete Tosh.

right-track 07-16-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raine
Japan and England
Japan only because of the hype around reggae and people like Pete Tosh.

I believe the Japanese are amongst some of the most avid collectors of Northern Soul vinyl. Once these people get into something, they become real enthusiasts.

hookers with machineguns 07-16-2006 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy1980
Is it England, Japan, belgium, Germany, Italy, central and south america or Africa on a whole? I want to know from people from other countries if you hear reggae on the radio and on the music charts regularly other than Sean Paul and shaggy.

Do year hear a Bounty killer or a Beres alongside a Maria Carey or a Kanye or is everything seperated in little groups like in the states..

Those are all hip-hop oriented dancehall artists, so I wouldn't say those countries are embracing reggae b/c of them. I don't know about the others, but I know Japan have a decent dub/reggae scene...kinda crazy if you think about it.

Raine 07-16-2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hookers with machineguns
Those are all hip-hop oriented dancehall artists, so I wouldn't say those countries are embracing reggae b/c of them. I don't know about the others, but I know Japan have a decent dub/reggae scene...kinda crazy if you think about it.

Japan worships almost all sorts of musicians if you go to the right cities and the right clubs.
I've seen Pete tosh twice and it cost a small fortune each time.

hookers with machineguns 07-16-2006 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raine
Japan worships almost all sorts of musicians if you go to the right cities and the right clubs.

What I like is...hip-hop isn't the big thing there. Unlike the Koreans who think they invented hip-hop.

And remember, if it isn't Japanese hardcore, then it isn't punk! REMEMBER THAT. :D

Raine 07-16-2006 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hookers with machineguns
What I like is...hip-hop isn't the big thing there. Unlike the Koreans who think they invented hip-hop.

And remember, if it isn't Japanese hardcore, then it isn't punk! REMEMBER THAT. :D

Utada Hikaru and Ayumi Hamsaki are changing that.

And the Koreans have a really good hip hop scene. It's the rappers that annoy me most of the time.
(I love Lee Min Woo. I swear he is the Korean version of Usher only cuter)

swim 07-16-2006 03:46 PM

England has an awesome reggae scene.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:20 AM.


© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.