Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Reggae & Ska
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #31 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

1st reggae album - Bob Marley Legend
1st ska - i can't remember - either Toots & The Maytals' Reggae Greats or Madness' Complete Madness
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:49 AM   #32 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict
 
s_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,169
Default

My First Ska album was definitely Madness' "Seven"
__________________
Click here to see my collection
s_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #33 (permalink)
I sleep in your hat
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne, Vic. Aus.
Posts: 1,722
Default

I think my first reggae album was Bob Marley - Survival. It's still my favourite reggae album.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #34 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

^^yeah, that's a good 'un
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #35 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

..and STILL the best 2nd wave Ska album and overshadows the 3rd too:

it sounds like it came out yesterday. Musically diverse and lyrically superb.
__________________

A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #36 (permalink)
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 3,653
Default

Amazon.com: Zungguzunagazeng: Yellowman

I remember hearing this at a friends and I immediately went out and bought a copy. Yellowman still holds a place in my heart. First ska album was One Step Beyond. I remember how huge the mod scene and rockabilly was in the early 80's. Circle city was a fantastic venue only blocks away and very friendly to the mod scene. Great times and people and Madness still holds up pretty well to date.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:15 AM   #37 (permalink)
Passerby
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Void
Posts: 299
Default RE: Ska

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobilizeTerror View Post
I don't know if Reel Big Fish count as real ska, but that was the first album I ever got that was close to ska.
I would hope so. If that is not Ska, I don't what is.

And, I am not a big fan of Ska. It's monotonous. And, I think the 30's was the era of the Big Bands. Glenn Miller Orchestra

One album I do like is from Bob and the Sagets. And, two of them and two from Kos Mos formed the Menzingers.

Who are not at all Ska. And, I love em.

peace
blankety blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:36 AM   #38 (permalink)
Groupie
 
graveyardgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: california
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveeden888 View Post
I would hope so. If that is not Ska, I don't what is.

And, I am not a big fan of Ska. It's monotonous. And, I think the 30's was the era of the Big Bands. Glenn Miller Orchestra

One album I do like is from Bob and the Sagets. And, two of them and two from Kos Mos formed the Menzingers.

Who are not at all Ska. And, I love em.

peace
...ska is monotonous? i've never heard that one before.

my first ska album was the specials - more specials. first reggae album was bob marley - legend.
graveyardgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:58 AM   #39 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardgirl View Post
...ska is monotonous? i've never heard that one before.

my first ska album was the specials - more specials. first reggae album was bob marley - legend.
it's always that skanking beat with emphasis on the 2nd and 4th beat and the same old horns

same can be said of reggae - i find it pretty monotonous
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:45 AM   #40 (permalink)
Groupie
 
graveyardgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: california
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
it's always that skanking beat with emphasis on the 2nd and 4th beat and the same old horns

same can be said of reggae - i find it pretty monotonous
i don't really find it monotous because of that, that's just the style of the genre to me. but to each his/her own, i guess. i might just be a fan of monotonous, repetitive music in general.

i can't stand most third-wave ska bands, though.
graveyardgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.