Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
JohnnyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 170
Default Amazing Vocal Performances

Nothing draws me to a song more than outstanding vocals. They're normally the first thing I notice upon listening to a new song. What are some of the most amazing vocal performances you can think of? Please try to keep spamming to a minimum. If you disagree with someone, please state the reasons why.

Here are some off the top of my head...

Tool - Pushit
Led Zeppelin - Since I've Been Loving You
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras
Opeth - To Bid You Farewell
Dragonforce - Fury of the Storm
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Tuesdays Gone
Dream Theater - Pull Me Under
Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name
Porcupine Tree - Shes Moved On
__________________
*
*

For long you'll live and high you'll fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be
.
___________________________________

Always the summers are slipping away
Find me a way for making it stay
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fish in the percolator!
 
Seltzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hobbit Land NZ
Posts: 2,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK
Nothing draws me to a song more than outstanding vocals. They're normally the first thing I notice upon listening to a new song. What are some of the most amazing vocal performances you can think of? Please try to keep spamming to a minimum. If you disagree with someone, please state the reasons why.

Here are some off the top of my head...

Tool - Pushit
Led Zeppelin - Since I've Been Loving You
The Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras
Opeth - To Bid You Farewell
Dragonforce - Fury of the Storm
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Tuesdays Gone
Dream Theater - Pull Me Under
Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name
Porcupine Tree - Shes Moved On
Opeth - Bleak is very good. It is a vocal duet (Mikael Akerfeldt with Steven Wilson of the prog rock band Porcupine Tree). The vocals seem much better when you understand who is doing which lines in the song. As far as I know, the singers lines at the end of the song are...

Mikael - You're close to the final word ... and drains me away
Steven - Mist ripples round your thin white neck
Both - And draws me a line
Steven - Cold fingers mark this dying wreck
Both - This moment is mine
Mikael - (clean) Night falls again, taking what's left of me (growling) slight twist, shivering corpse...

Another good one is Opeth - The Drapery Falls, and I'm not being partial towards Opeth either. Steven Wilson produced Blackwater Park, and his "telephone vocal effect" is used in this song. The vocals are just so good in this song.
__________________
Seltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Wetter The Better!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SH1TTY London Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,501
Default

Stevie Nicks - Landslide
Stevie Nicks and Sheryl Crow - If You Ever Did Believe

M-A-G-I-C!!!!!
MURDER JUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
JohnnyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 170
Default

Seltzer, Bleak is one of my favorite songs. Wilson and Akerfeldt are probably my two favorite vocalists, and when you put both of them in the same song with Opeth's awesome rif***e and musical genius, then you've got something special. The Drapery Falls is also awesome, though I don't think the growls in that song are anything too spectacular. The clean vocals are still awesome.

Stevie Nicks is probably my favorite female vocalist, though I like her work with Fleetwood Mac much more than her solo career.
__________________
*
*

For long you'll live and high you'll fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be
.
___________________________________

Always the summers are slipping away
Find me a way for making it stay
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fish in the percolator!
 
Seltzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hobbit Land NZ
Posts: 2,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK
Seltzer, Bleak is one of my favorite songs. Wilson and Akerfeldt are probably my two favorite vocalists, and when you put both of them in the same song with Opeth's awesome rif***e and musical genius, then you've got something special. The Drapery Falls is also awesome, though I don't think the growls in that song are anything too spectacular. The clean vocals are still awesome.
Imagine if Opeth and Steven Wilson actually co-write an album in the future. That would be awesome. I've heard rumours about it.

Quote:
Stevie Nicks - Landslide
Stevie Nicks and Sheryl Crow - If You Ever Did Believe
Have you heard the Pumpkins' cover of Landslide?
__________________
Seltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 03:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
JohnnyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltzer
Imagine if Opeth and Steven Wilson actually co-write an album in the future. That would be awesome. I've heard rumours about it.
Wow, I haven't heard that. That would be incredible. The thought of Wilson's psychedelic spaciness added to Opeth's beautiful riffs and acoustic passages is mind blowing.
__________________
*
*

For long you'll live and high you'll fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be
.
___________________________________

Always the summers are slipping away
Find me a way for making it stay
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fish in the percolator!
 
Seltzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hobbit Land NZ
Posts: 2,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK
Wow, I haven't heard that. That would be incredible. The thought of Wilson's psychedelic spaciness added to Opeth's beautiful riffs and acoustic passages is mind blowing.
Yeah, just rumours though. But it seems like the next logical step anyway. Wilson and Opeth both love working with each other and Opeth likes to try new things occasionally (like Damnation). It is very possible that they would co-write an album. I'll google it sometime today, because it's something I would really want.

EDIT: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/fo....asp?TID=14590

That looks interesting.
__________________
Seltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
JohnnyK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltzer
That looks very interesting, I wish I had time to read it all right now. Stupid school project.
__________________
*
*

For long you'll live and high you'll fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be
.
___________________________________

Always the summers are slipping away
Find me a way for making it stay
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 06:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Wetter The Better!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SH1TTY London Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltzer
Imagine if Opeth and Steven Wilson actually co-write an album in the future. That would be awesome. I've heard rumours about it.


Have you heard the Pumpkins' cover of Landslide?
Yes and every other cover of it.
Some things just should not be touched
MURDER JUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDER JUNKIE
Yes and every other cover of it.
Some things just should not be touched

or covere WAYYY too much, not necessarily referring to the current song, just a general thought
shiftael is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.