Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2006, 03:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US/Washington
Posts: 18
Default The Band w/ the biggest impact

Since the 60s I think there have been many bands that changed the face of rock or suprised a lot of people.

Which band out of the following do you think had the most impact:

The Beatles
The Who
The Sex Pistols
Black Sabbath
Led Zepplin
Motley Cure
Nirvana
Pat Boone

Although I think Black Sabbath/The Who/Led Zepplin were some of the pioneers of hard rock music, I don't believe they had the impact that Nirvana had. Nirvana pretty much killed the careers of Poison, GNR, and all the other hair metal crap that the late eighties is famous for.

This is just my opinion of course.
MercyTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dancing Machine
 
Expletive Deleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,108
Default

I'll go with The Beatles.

However, I'm baffled by the fact that you thought Nirvana had enough of an impact to make the list and that you put The Sex Pistols instead of The Stooges, The Velvet Underground, or any other Proto-Punk band.
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Whitewater!
 
Merkaba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,885
Default

I don't like them the most but how can you not say the Beatles?
__________________
She thinks I'm a reclusive genius, she's going to be very disappointed when she finds out i'm a reclusive wanker
Merkaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US/Washington
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
I'll go with The Beatles.

However, I'm baffled by the fact that you thought Nirvana had enough of an impact to make the list and that you put The Sex Pistols instead of The Stooges, The Velvet Underground, or any other Proto-Punk band.

Good point on the The Velvet Underground/Stooges. Although Kurt quoted some of his influences to be some of the early punk bands (& Blackflags), I still think Nirvana had more of a musical impact because they really didn't fit into a musical genre. Again, just my opinion.
MercyTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Metal Maiden
 
judas_priest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 644
Default

Black sabbath had quite an impact too. Ozzy certainly shocked a lot of people with biting the head off the dove and the bat thing.
judas_priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US/Washington
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by judas_priest
Black sabbath had quite an impact too. Ozzy certainly shocked a lot of people with biting the head off the dove and the bat thing.
This is true. I think you would be hard pressed to find a 'rocker' that wouldn't agree that War Pigs was one of the best songs of all time.
MercyTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dancing Machine
 
Expletive Deleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercyTribe
Good point on the The Velvet Underground/Stooges. Although Kurt quoted some of his influences to be some of the early punk bands (& Blackflags), I still think Nirvana had more of a musical impact because they really didn't fit into a musical genre. Again, just my opinion.
I think everyone can pretty much agree that Nirvana just ripped off the Pixies and got really famous for doing so.
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Making an impact & being an influence are not the same thing

The Velvet Underground & The Stooges did next to nothing when they were around.It took something like 10 years for those bands to be recognised for their contribution.I don`t really consider that to be an impact.And even then it`s only really Punk/Indie they had an influence on,

To me an impact is a band that just goes BANG !!!!! WE`RE HERE as soon as they get heard.As much as I hate to say it you have to go for The Beatles for that as they made a huge impact on arrival & have influenced many different genres
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US/Washington
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
I think everyone can pretty much agree that Nirvana just ripped off the Pixies and got really famous for doing so.
Dude... no way. I grew up listening to the Pixies and I really don't see a lot of similarities. The Pixies are/were a product of The Smiths or The Stooges.

Nirvana took a lot of musical influences and added some personality. The only bad thing that came from the Nirvana years was Courtney Love (ugh).
MercyTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
bungalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hot-lanta
Posts: 3,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
I think everyone can pretty much agree that Nirvana just ripped off the Pixies and got really famous for doing so.
Oh God, don't diss Nirvana, MIsfits, boo boo, and every other Nirvana obsessed person here will jump all over your back

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone
"How can you say Nirvana ripped off the Pixies? Nirvana is the greatest and Kurt is the best songwriter ever! If you disagree, you are an idiot"
bungalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.