Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #421 (permalink)
#1 Schuldinist.
 
Voice_of_the_Soul12,13,01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 420
Default

I was just going for what he might like based on some of those metalcore bands he had in his list.


And what's this logic that some have that "if the scene kids like it, well it HAS to suck"? Granted, alot of people are just looking for something to listen to and don't care about quality, but if you base your opinions off of the opinions of other people, you're going to miss out on alot.

And old black metal rules.

Lastly, I know you won't like Carnifex if you don't like deathcore.


AW! I forgot, can't believe I omitted this from the list;

Arcturus.
__________________
I don't mean to dwell
But I can't help myself
When I feel the vibe
And taste a memory
Of a time in life
When years seemed to stand still

Last edited by Voice_of_the_Soul12,13,01; 08-02-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Voice_of_the_Soul12,13,01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:48 PM   #422 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Methville
Posts: 2,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice_of_the_Soul12,13,01 View Post
And what's this logic that some have that "if the scene kids like it, well it HAS to suck"? Granted, alot of people are just looking for something to listen to and don't care about quality, but if you base your opinions off of the opinions of other people, you're going to miss out on alot.
My logic isn't that because scene kids like it it will suck. I'll give it an honest listen, but based on the average person who seems to like it I'm not expecting much. I also agree that basing your opinions off of other people's opinions is dumb, and disingenuous at best.

Quote:
And old black metal rules.
It isn't really an age thing. Summoning date back pretty far and they're really solid. Rotting Christ would be another example of a black metal band who's been around for years and has managed to release a lot of good material. Just for the most part I can't get into raw black metal for some reason. It just feels lacking in something.

Quote:
Arcturus.
Is an essential part of every metal collection, although I wouldn't recommend them to someone just getting into metal. They're a bit rough around the edges and artsy.
The Unfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #423 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Demonoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice_of_the_Soul12,13,01 View Post
HEre's a few suggestions;
Emperor(Listen to their older stuff NAOW!! You'll thank me later)
Satyricon(same as above)
Fixed couple of things The Unfan didn't
Well, anyways it's not that 'raw black metal' has to be the norm around. You can listen to them as well as well produced ones. Personally, i enjoy raw black metal a lot.(I'll just recommend Burzum as well...amazing band)
Just need to get used to it and Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipsie is what did it for me. Aggressive black metal and wasn't too raw either. It had the perfect touch imo. And the atmosphere was just awesome!

Last edited by Demonoid; 08-02-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Demonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #424 (permalink)
Existential Egoist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonoid View Post
Fixed couple of things The Unfan didn't
Well, anyways it's not that 'raw black metal' has to be the norm around. You can listen to them as well as well produced ones. Personally, i enjoy raw black metal a lot.(I'll just recommend Burzum as well...amazing band)
Just need to get used to it and Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipsie is what did it for me. Aggressive black metal and wasn't too raw either. It had the perfect touch imo. And the atmosphere was just awesome!
I hate raw black metal because it all sounds the same. I can stand stuff like Bathory and a bit of Mayhem, but other than that, it all sounds the same. I have the same problem with brutal death metal because there are so many of those bands and only few of them experiment instead of noodling. Folk Black Metal is where it is at.
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:01 PM   #425 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBHCNick View Post
1. Megadeth
2. Children of Bodom
3. Black Label Society
4. Nightwish
5. Agalloch
6. Mastodon
7. Sinergy
8. Iron Maiden
9. Strapping Young Lad
10. Iced Earth


1 - 5 are pretty solidly in place. 6 - 10 can change switch up or fall off the list on any given day.
yo bro, why do you like children of bodom, the singer is completely ***. on youtube theres a video of him tongue kissing a dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananazx03 View Post
yo bro, why do you like children of bodom, the singer is completely ***. on youtube theres a video of him tongue kissing a dude.
whoa they sensored the word g a y
bananazx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:19 AM   #426 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Demonoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 734
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
I hate raw black metal because it all sounds the same. I can stand stuff like Bathory and a bit of Mayhem, but other than that, it all sounds the same. I have the same problem with brutal death metal because there are so many of those bands and only few of them experiment instead of noodling. Folk Black Metal is where it is at.
Try Dissection, Sacramentum, Catamenia, Old Man's Child, Dawn or Nokturnal Mortum.
All are more on the melodic side, but they do have this tinch of raw feeling as well.(although most do have decent production...especially in the case of dissection)
Not exactly the same as the more aggressive kinda type like Emperor, Darkthrone, immortal etc.(emperor is kinda melodic...with a good balance b/w rawness and production) but i guess it's a good start.

Raw black metal can get a bit annoying at times, but then, at the right mood, it gives me more satisfaction than anything else!

Last edited by Demonoid; 08-03-2008 at 04:27 AM.
Demonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #427 (permalink)
- ) ) < > ( ( -
 
WWWP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeLittleHobbit View Post
I don't think I like enough "Metal" bands to produce a decent top 10 list, but I'll have a go at it anyway:

1. Led Zeppelin
2. Deep Purple
3. Metallica
4. Black Sabbath
5. Van Halen
6. Wolfmother

...I don't even know after that... and most of those aren't even real metal bands either...
Oh my lanta I forgot all about them!!
I liked them rather well if I remember correctly.
__________________
wwwp makes you a playlist pt. 1
wwwp makes you a playlist pt. 2


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
church is still boring even with Kanye.
WWWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:19 AM   #428 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
DJ Phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 202
Default

Some of these, I dont know if you'd consider them "Metal"? but here goes:

10. Ozzy
9. Van Halen
8. Saxon
7. Judas Priest
6. Cinderella
5. Motley Crue
4. AC/DC
3. Ratt
2. DIO
1. Iron ****ing Maiden

Last edited by DJ Phoenix; 08-03-2008 at 05:30 AM.
DJ Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #429 (permalink)
Existential Egoist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonoid View Post
Try Dissection, Sacramentum, Catamenia, Old Man's Child, Dawn or Nokturnal Mortum.
All are more on the melodic side, but they do have this tinch of raw feeling as well.(although most do have decent production...especially in the case of dissection)
Not exactly the same as the more aggressive kinda type like Emperor, Darkthrone, immortal etc.(emperor is kinda melodic...with a good balance b/w rawness and production) but i guess it's a good start.

Raw black metal can get a bit annoying at times, but then, at the right mood, it gives me more satisfaction than anything else!
Alright I will give them a listen...

Anyways, I don't think I have listed my favorite metal bands so here is goes...

1. Opeth (I enjoy everything they have done, but I would not consider them the best.)

2. Agalloch (Greatest black metal band, period. Ulver's first album only comes close to the beauty of Agalloch's music. I want a new record! The Mantle = greatest album ever created.)

3. Cynic (Their new album is going to be amazing. Focus was a masterpiece.)

4. Death (Honestly, everything, but Spiritual Healing is amazing. Symbolic is like one of the greatest albums ever.)

5. and 6. Isis or Neurosis (Really tough decision as both are kings of my favorite genre, post-metal. I find Isis to be much more epic, whereas Neurosis is extremely heavy.)

7. Black Sabbath (Seriously, why not is the really question.)

8. Therion (Awesome symphonic metal and their early death metal releases were pretty sweet too. Symphony of the Runes is probably one of the greatest metal albums ever.)

9. Windir (Really good folk black metal band, which has some of the greatest riffs. I also have everything Windir has ever released so to say they aren't one of my favorites would be wrong.)

10. Draconian (New album sucked hard, but they have some awesome doom metal. Love the vocals and growls too.)

Honorable mentions:

Meshuggah
Melechesh
Summoning
Eluveitie
Novembers Doom
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:02 PM   #430 (permalink)
#1 Schuldinist.
 
Voice_of_the_Soul12,13,01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 420
Default

Now, what is Post-Metal? I've heard the term, but don't know what it is or what bands fall under this category.
__________________
I don't mean to dwell
But I can't help myself
When I feel the vibe
And taste a memory
Of a time in life
When years seemed to stand still
Voice_of_the_Soul12,13,01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.