Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Who makes (or made) the best music!
Ozzy Osbourne's solo career 30 23.08%
Black Sabbath with Ozzy 81 62.31%
Black Sabbath with Dio (Heaven and Hell) 19 14.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:32 AM   #11 (permalink)
Later on...
 
FireInCairo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,233
Default

ozzy solo is hoorrible!
black sabbath were fantastic
and ronnie james is just a dwarf in a wig (not that his height is at all relevant)

and as a side note
randy was talent... chops + TASTE + compositional skill (his tone sucked though)
Zakk wylde is just inappropriate, writes cheesy riffs and dull solos

aaannnd...his tone sucks!
__________________
O G MUDBONE: Only You can prevent forest fires.
FireInCairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Melancholia Eternally
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 4,926
Default

Don't know where to start with this thread. First of all I don't dislike Ozzy solo stuff at ALL. I've been known to defend it to those who hate it. I'm also big fans of Zakk Wylde and Randy Rhoads so I guess I must put everything into context in this thread.

Theres too much **** rock in Ozzy solo stuff. Dio is decent in his own right but what he did with Sabbath just doesnt match what they did with Ozzy. Tony Iommi is a better guitarist than Zakk Wydle and Randy Rhoads put together.

In my opinion this one isnt even close. Sabbath with Ozzy.
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
i is a gud righter.
 
Cobe Kai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
Don't know where to start with this thread. First of all I don't dislike Ozzy solo stuff at ALL. I've been known to defend it to those who hate it. I'm also big fans of Zakk Wylde and Randy Rhoads so I guess I must put everything into context in this thread.

Theres too much **** rock in Ozzy solo stuff. Dio is decent in his own right but what he did with Sabbath just doesnt match what they did with Ozzy. Tony Iommi is a better guitarist than Zakk Wydle and Randy Rhoads put together.

In my opinion this one isnt even close. Sabbath with Ozzy.
Can you honestly say that Tony is better? Zakk and Randy are two of the most skilful. Tony created anthemic songs (as did Zakk and Randy), but is he really more skilful on guitar?
__________________

Earth.
Cobe Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Melancholia Eternally
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 4,926
Default

Theres not many guitarists I prefer listening to more than Iommi. So yes, I would.
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
i is a gud righter.
 
Cobe Kai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Skill doesn't really get you very far. I mean, look at Yngwie Malmsteen. He's got his little fanbase, sure, but for the most part the guy is just a ****ing laughing stock.

Zakk and Randy could probably play five times as fast as Tony, yeah, but take everything Zakk and Randy wrote for Ozzy, put it all together and you still don't have half the amount of classic, memorable riffs Tony did just for the first few Sabbath albums.
Oh come on, there are so many riffs and songs that are amazing by R.R and Z.W, but if we're judging on skill, then its Zakk and Randy, (others are Buckethead, Yngwie, and Satch)

But if we're going on memorable riffs then I still say Zakk and Randy.

Remember, we're not judging by inspirational content, because Iommi's inspired millions. We're judging by skill.
__________________

Earth.
Cobe Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Methville
Posts: 2,116
Default

Iommi had a skill that Zakk lacks. That is the skill to write good material.
The Unfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobe Kai View Post

Remember, we're not judging by inspirational content, because Iommi's inspired millions. We're judging by skill.
OK then

Sabbath were timeless and their stuff still sounds fresh today.

Ozzy follows trends far too much. He played with hair metal musicians in the 80s , alternative musicians in the 90s and as a result his stuff dates far too easily with the exception of the stuff he did with Rhodes which is good but still a cut below Sabbath..

There's a good reason why he still plays Paranoid & practically ignores most of his mid - late 80s output.

As for Dio i'd much rather listen to Heaven & Hell or Mob Rules over Technical Ecstacy , Never Say Die and any of the shit Ozzy did after Diary Of A Madman.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
i is a gud righter.
 
Cobe Kai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
OK then

Sabbath were timeless and their stuff still sounds fresh today.

Ozzy follows trends far too much. He played with hair metal musicians in the 80s , alternative musicians in the 90s and as a result his stuff dates far too easily with the exception of the stuff he did with Rhodes which is good but still a cut below Sabbath..

There's a good reason why he still plays Paranoid & practically ignores most of his mid - late 80s output.

As for Dio i'd much rather listen to Heaven & Hell or Mob Rules over Technical Ecstacy , Never Say Die and any of the shit Ozzy did after Diary Of A Madman.
There is just no way it is okay to listen to H&H over any Ozzy stuff.
__________________

Earth.
Cobe Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,446
Default

Well you enjoy The Ultimate Sin , i'll pass on it thanks.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
i is a gud righter.
 
Cobe Kai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Well you enjoy The Ultimate Sin , i'll pass on it thanks.
Each to their own... it just means I respect your opinion a whole lot less, and there wasn't much from your "grunge/alternative rant".
__________________

Earth.
Cobe Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.