Worst Metal Band Ever? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #611 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,605
Default

I don't know but they're a John Zorn project so I wouldn't be surprised if they were.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #612 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_override View Post
I did say "be honest", but no. It's more the fact that your points in this thread have been beyond moot, it seems to me you are just arguing for the sake of arguing, rather than actually having anything worthwhile to say. If you actually articulate your points with a worthwhile post rather than a or a tongue-in-cheek comment, then maybe I could take your opinion seriously. But honestly, I think you're either posting in this thread because you have nothing better to do, or are attempting to become MB's next resident troll. Either way, you opinion not only differs from mine, but lacks the support to even be considered a legitimate argument at all.
Well, prior to you asking if they had killed my dad I was responding with serious arguments and refuting your points. But your only reply to me has been things like "Pantera is the single most import metal band of the 90s" with not a single thing said to back a claim like that up. So I'm not sure what else you want from me.

It's odd that you're trying to accuse me of being a troll here. You do realize that the whole purpose of this thread is to talk about which metal bands you think are the worst, right? All I did is post one of my nominations, you are the one who started the argument. I actually thought it was just a fun, lighthearted disagreement we were having, which is why I was joking around in addition to debating with you, but after reading this last post it sounds like it's a very super cereal topic for you.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #613 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I don't know but they're a John Zorn project so I wouldn't be surprised if they were.
Albeit it's well one of Zorn's weaker projects I'd say the virtuosity of Laswell and Yoshida(I guess it's Mick Harris on the non-live but he's still pretty damn good) bars them from ever being considered the worst metal band ever. Just difficult to get into, and only for those who like music that's compelling because it's intentionally painful.
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:16 PM   #614 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,538
Default

Painkiller is darker than any black metal band. It's not cheesy, demons or burning crosses or whatever, it's torture and murder - realistic, brutal, psychologically scarring. I almost feel disgusting listening to their records because it evokes such disturbing imagery.

Chaotic dissonant at it's best.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #615 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Painkiller is darker than any black metal band. It's not cheesy, demons or burning crosses or whatever, it's torture and murder - realistic, brutal, psychologically scarring. I almost feel disgusting listening to their records because it evokes such disturbing imagery.

Chaotic dissonant at it's best.
Any thoughts on which Painkiller album is worth getting? I have the 50th Birthday Celebration Vol. 12 disc and have never been able to get into it, but I've heard it's not really representative of what Painkiller sounds like.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #616 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,538
Default

I think Execution Ground, despite being the longer album, is the most accessible and enjoyable. However, Buried Secrets is the most chilling.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #617 (permalink)
Seemingly Silenced
 
crash_override's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 2,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It's odd that you're trying to accuse me of being a troll here.
I call 'em like I see 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
You do realize that the whole purpose of this thread is to talk about which metal bands you think are the worst, right?
I realize the point of the thread. Although I wasn't sure you did at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I thought it was just a fun, lighthearted disagreement we were having, which is why I was joking around in addition to debating with you, but after reading this last post it sounds like it's a very super cereal topic for you.
It's been very fun and lighthearted, seeing as how I've laughed my ass off at almost every post you've made in this thread. I don't know why you think I'm taking this so 'super cereal' or getting butt hurt about it. I could care less at the end of the day if you hate Pantera, I just think an accusing a widely respected metal band (not just by their "rabid" fans either) of being one of the worst bands in the history of the genre should be backed by a little more than "they suck, trust me, I'm old..."

This has been a great discussion up to this point, I don't want you to think I'm fuming over here. It's not like I'm some "rabid" Pantera fan...
__________________
My MB music journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEY
"Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told".
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 PM   #618 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_override View Post
I call 'em like I see 'em.
Then I guess you have a mighty odd understanding of what trolling is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_override View Post
It's been very fun and lighthearted, seeing as how I've laughed my ass off at almost every post you've made in this thread. I don't know why you think I'm taking this so 'super cereal' or getting butt hurt about it. I could care less at the end of the day if you hate Pantera, I just think an accusing a widely respected metal band (not just by their "rabid" fans either) of being one of the worst bands in the history of the genre should be backed by a little more than "they suck, trust me, I'm old..."

This has been a great discussion up to this point, I don't want you to think I'm fuming over here. It's not like I'm some "rabid" Pantera fan...
Good, I'm glad you're not taking it as seriously as it sounded in your last post.

If you take a look at what I've actually written in response to your comments, you'll see it's more than "they suck, trust me, I'm old". I only mentioned my age once and for a very specific reason, for one thing, and I think I've made it pretty clear what it is that I don't like about Pantera: I don't feel that they brought anything new to the table, I don't feel that what they did was done in an interesting way, and I find their influence on metal to be negligible. Honestly I can't think of a single good metal band from now or from back in the 90s that displays a very strong Pantera influence.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #619 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The States
Posts: 28
Default

I can think of two:
Anal ****, which do in fact suck, but somehow find a way to get me to watch them on youtube.

Soilent Green, I saw these guys live in 2008 with Dethklok. Every song sounded the same and the lead singer looked like a hobo. His hair was down to his knees!
sadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #620 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,179
Default

Albeit, I can very much agree that they are not one of the worst metal bands of all time, and personally think they were skilled at what they did. I honestly don't know what the huge stylistic difference from "groove metal" and "thrash" is.
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2023 Advameg, Inc.