Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Aerosol in your Soul
 
Rjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 1,513
Default

I'm probably going to be killed for saying this but... Kiss. Facial make up is comically lame. Same as their lyrics and vocal style. Some romance and metal has a flamboyant ridicule that's repulsive. The instrumentation is alright, but covered with all that other nonsense is a shame.
__________________
last.fm
Rjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjinnx View Post
I'm probably going to be killed for saying this but... Kiss. Facial make up is comically lame. Same as their lyrics and vocal style. Some romance and metal has a flamboyant ridicule that's repulsive. The instrumentation is alright, but covered with all that other nonsense is a shame.
No, I'm with you on Kiss. I'm just not sure I'd consider them metal.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjinnx View Post
I'm probably going to be killed for saying this but... Kiss. Facial make up is comically lame. Same as their lyrics and vocal style. Some romance and metal has a flamboyant ridicule that's repulsive. The instrumentation is alright, but covered with all that other nonsense is a shame.
In Kiss' defense (good god I never thought I'd have to do this)... in their defense, at least they recognized that they were playing roles and recognized the cheesiness of their theatrics for what they were. Unlike the bulk of nu-metal bands from the 90s who took themselves far FAR too seriously.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Aerosol in your Soul
 
Rjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 1,513
Default

Some consider them hard rock or heavy metal. I always see them in the category of metal in CD stores. *shrug*
__________________
last.fm
Rjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #15 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

The Darkness

i know they don't take themselves too seriously

but trying to resurrect pomp rock when Queen already did the best with that sub-genre is just well........ pompous
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
The Aerosol in your Soul
 
Rjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
In Kiss' defense (good god I never thought I'd have to do this)... in their defense, at least they recognized that they were playing roles and recognized the cheesiness of their theatrics for what they were. Unlike the bulk of nu-metal bands from the 90s who took themselves far FAR too seriously.
Well that makes it simple then.

I do agree it was definitely apparent that they were all party, fun, and silliness, but I don't think they knew how ridiculous they were.
__________________
last.fm
Rjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

as a KISS fan, I just say "why so serious?"
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjinnx View Post
but I don't think they knew how ridiculous they were.
Actually they were pretty candid in later interviews about being acutely aware of just what they were doing back in the day. Gene Simmons has always been a businessman looking to profit first and foremost.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
Trolier Than Thou
 
Forward To Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,328
Default

Fear Factory post-Demanufacture. Seriously, Gary Numan?
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,513
Default

Shaolin Death Squad



I listened to them for a little bit because of a recommendation from last.fm. I don't know what they were trying to do with music, but it just didn't work for me.

__________________
| - || - |||
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.