Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Metallica album?
Kill' Em All 20 15.87%
Ride the Lightning 27 21.43%
Master of Puppets 37 29.37%
And Justice for All 12 9.52%
Metallica (Black Album) 22 17.46%
Load 1 0.79%
Reload 1 0.79%
St. Anger 5 3.97%
Death Magnetic 1 0.79%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 12:19 AM   #171 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpnfire View Post
I have no clue what sound you are supposed to convey with this, but yes, really.
I'm trying to convey the thing Hetfield has been doing-ah with his voice-ah for most of his career-ah. If you're able to block it out when you listen to Metallica, kudos to you. Here's a prime example:



I'm your dream-ah.
Mind astray-ah.
I'm your eyes when you're away-ah
I'm your dream while you repay-ah.
You know it's sad but true-ah!
Sad but truuuuuuue-ah!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpnfire View Post
Hetfield is vastly more appealing than other metal singers like Exodus, Dark Angel, and even *gasp* Rob Halford-who can be annoying at times to listen to.
I agree, when compared to extremely annoying singers he is indeed less annoying.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:43 AM   #172 (permalink)
Dragon
 
Wpnfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kansas, United States
Posts: 2,637
Default

I think I understand what you are talking about and I tried it with "Sad But True", but he doesn't do it that much and even then it's barely noticeable. If you really think it's that much of a problem I guess I'll take your word for it, but, bringing the conversation back to my point, I still think Hetfield's worst performance was on RTL.
Wpnfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:13 AM   #173 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpnfire View Post
I think I understand what you are talking about and I tried it with "Sad But True", but he doesn't do it that much and even then it's barely noticeable. If you really think it's that much of a problem I guess I'll take your word for it, but, bringing the conversation back to my point, I still think Hetfield's worst performance was on RTL.
That's awesome that it's barely noticeable to you since he does it a lot, including on a song that is not only one of my favorite Metallica songs, but also one of my favorite thrash songs:




I'm in hell without yoooah
Cannot cope without you two-ah
Shocked at the world see-ah
Innocent victim, please rescue me-ah
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:59 AM   #174 (permalink)
Dragon
 
Wpnfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kansas, United States
Posts: 2,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
That's awesome that it's barely noticeable to you since he does it a lot, including on a song that is not only one of my favorite Metallica songs, but also one of my favorite thrash songs:




I'm in hell without yoooah
Cannot cope without you two-ah
Shocked at the world see-ah
Innocent victim, please rescue me-ah
AHHH! (No pun intended LOL) I understand what you are talking about with that song, and I actually LOVE it when he does that. It sounds so much heavier that way. Also, Dyers Eve is one of my favs as well.
Wpnfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:02 AM   #175 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 58
Default

Ride da lightning iz da best.
skeetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #176 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
**** you both. Hetfield was one of metal great vocalists.
I disagree. Oops. I mean, I indeedly-do agree.

Batlord, like me, likes the harsh kind of vocals (still trying to get into Bathory, though) that these thrashers put out. We also love, which comes with it, the rawness in some of the music. Without bad vocals, there is no reason to make thrash metal. Well, maybe in some instances, like ...And Justice, and Master. But it's all in the inexperience that comes with being young that makes these bands what they are. I'll take Ride the Lightning over ...And Justice every day.

What do you think of Sepultura, Wpnfire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Metallica was cool for a few albums but now I couldn't give less of a **** and James Hetfield doesn't help.
I'd have to agree with that. But I think my taste exceeds past only a few.

Last edited by Musicfanatic; 07-03-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Musicfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #177 (permalink)
Dragon
 
Wpnfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kansas, United States
Posts: 2,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicfanatic View Post
I disagree. Oops. I mean, I indeedly-do agree.

Batlord, like me, likes the harsh kind of vocals (still trying to get into Bathory, though) that these thrashers put out. We also love, which comes with it, the rawness in some of the music. Without bad vocals, there is no reason to make thrash metal. Well, maybe in some instances, like ...And Justice, and Master. But it's all in the inexperience that comes with being young that makes these bands what they are. I'll take Ride the Lightning over ...And Justice every day.

What do you think of Sepultura, Wpnfire?
Sepultra is acceptable; and when I say that, I'm talking exclusively about the guitar playing on the album, which is the only thing I care about. The vocals don't get in the way of that, and other than that, I don't care what the vocals sound like.
That brings me to the other thing you mentioned. I don't care about the vocals on any of Metallica's other albums, I just know I think Hetfield sounds bad on Ride the Lightning, and he singlehandedly ruins my interest in listening to the album, save for Call of Ktulu, where he, of course, does not sing at all.
Wpnfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #178 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 43,607
Default

I've never really been able to get into Sepultura besides Chaos AD and there very early stuff. But as far as Morbid Visions and the like goes I don't see anything particularly special about them as a first wave black/death metal band, and the Beneath the Remains/Arise era just seems boring when compared to death/thrash bands that were just more extreme than they were like Morbid Saint or Demolition Hammer.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:51 PM   #179 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I've never really been able to get into Sepultura besides Chaos AD and there very early stuff. But as far as Morbid Visions and the like goes I don't see anything particularly special about them as a first wave black/death metal band, and the Beneath the Remains/Arise era just seems boring when compared to death/thrash bands that were just more extreme than they were like Morbid Saint or Demolition Hammer.
I completely disagree. Beneath the Remains if my favorite. I started with Arise, and I myself didn't think I could get into it, but I decided to dig deeper. I think they are fantastic. But then again, I'm into some things that most others cannot stand...
Musicfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:52 PM   #180 (permalink)
Dragon
 
Wpnfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kansas, United States
Posts: 2,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpnfire View Post
Sepultra is acceptable; and when I say that, I'm talking exclusively about the guitar playing on the album, which is the only thing I care about. The vocals don't get in the way of that, and other than that, I don't care what the vocals sound like.
That brings me to the other thing you mentioned. I don't care about the vocals on any of Metallica's other albums, I just know I think Hetfield sounds bad on Ride the Lightning, and he singlehandedly ruins my interest in listening to the album, save for Call of Ktulu, where he, of course, does not sing at all.
The arrogance and outright pompousness of this post amuses me, the bolded sentence in particular.

Di-did all of my posts read like this?
Wpnfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.