Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 43,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicLePanther View Post
I'll put it in if one of the albums by one of those bands is sacrificed. Also, to whom am I to credit this album (not Brian Eno)?
Why should one of them have to be sacrificed? And it's a compilation. It doesn't need a credit.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Why should one of them have to be sacrificed? And it's a compilation. It doesn't need a credit.
Because they're all represented on that album. It's like having both a Slayer LP and a Slayer EP in the same battle. Plus the albums give a better representation of the artists than a short sample and we can slip in a few under mentioned albums in there. I get where you're coming from because No New York was a big album for the scene, but it becomes redundant when you put the artists' 'real' landmark albums on the list.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 43,369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Because they're all represented on that album. It's like having both a Slayer LP and a Slayer EP in the same battle. Plus the albums give a better representation of the artists than a short sample and we can slip in a few under mentioned albums in there. I get where you're coming from because No New York was a big album for the scene, but it becomes redundant when you put the artists' 'real' landmark albums on the list.
I wouldn't say they were necessarily better represented. The Contortions four songs on No New York are better than most anything on their actual album. NNY is just awesome all by itself.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
OQB
 
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Frownland
Posts: 8,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
I don't even really get what grunge is supposed to be.
Seems like pretty standard alternative rock to me.
I agree, the only thing that makes it any different to me is the indescribably annoying vocals that most post-grunge bands that I've listened to use. .
__________________
Music Blog / RYM / Last.fm / Qwertyy's Journal of Music Reviews and Other Assorted Ramblings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:32 AM   #25 (permalink)
and the livin' is easy...
 
TechnicLePanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 1,996
Default

Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star


For the psychedelic list, no question. What do we get rid of?

EDIT- I was also thinking we could do with some neo-psychedelia. Maybe MGMT's first album?

Also, I've decided to bring the hammer down with No New York. We just had too many No Wave albums. Suicide and The Birthday Party also got cut. Let me know if you have any specific suggestions. Don't just say, "Put x on the list." Say, "Put x on the list, and remove y."
__________________
If anything I wrote above offends you, it was probably a joke.

SUGGEST ME AN ALBUM - I'm probably not going to listen to it but I will if you bother me enough.

Last edited by TechnicLePanther; 09-23-2015 at 06:58 AM.
TechnicLePanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
Remember the underscore
 
Pet_Sounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The other side
Posts: 2,324
Default

Throw The Gris Gris, Temples, etc. in there too.

Also, I'm a bit confused about Forever Changes' categorization.
__________________
Everybody's dying just to get the disease
Pet_Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:58 AM   #27 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

You've got all this proto and post bollocks in the thread and no AOR, just thought I'd mention it
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:00 AM   #28 (permalink)
and the livin' is easy...
 
TechnicLePanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 1,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
You've got all this proto and post bollocks in the thread and no AOR, just thought I'd mention it
I put it on the genre list. You got an album list for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
Throw The Gris Gris, Temples, etc. in there too.

Also, I'm a bit confused about Forever Changes' categorization.
Dude, tell me what to get rid of. We can only have ten albums per list. We had too many psychedelic rock albums, and Forever Changes is almost more folk than psychedelic. I wanted to include it, so I put it on the folk rock list.
__________________
If anything I wrote above offends you, it was probably a joke.

SUGGEST ME AN ALBUM - I'm probably not going to listen to it but I will if you bother me enough.

Last edited by TechnicLePanther; 09-23-2015 at 07:06 AM.
TechnicLePanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicLePanther View Post
I put it on the genre list. You got an album list for me?
when do you need it by?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:09 AM   #30 (permalink)
and the livin' is easy...
 
TechnicLePanther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 1,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
when do you need it by?
When Metal Album Survivor is done, or before somebody else comes to me with a list, which could happen any time. If you start on it now, you should be good.
__________________
If anything I wrote above offends you, it was probably a joke.

SUGGEST ME AN ALBUM - I'm probably not going to listen to it but I will if you bother me enough.
TechnicLePanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.