Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Vote, mother****er!
10 1 25.00%
9 1 25.00%
8 2 50.00%
7 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 0 0%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 05:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default MB Metal Classics: "Carnivore" by Carnivore


As per the now-updated rules, albums have to receive a minimum of three votes (ie three members must vote) to qualify even for consideration as classics, and must reach or exceed an average of 8 to be rated as classics. As usual, write something or die.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 17,087
Default

It’s a classic

Spotify uses this album art in case anyone gets confused

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I'm not paying my psych ward bill and they can suck my dick from the back. The people in charge of the medical industry deserve to be dragged into the streets to have their throats cut like the greedy pigs they are.
FLARLY WE RIDE
OccultHawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene
 
Mondo Bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,592
Default

I always thought this album had an unparalleled sound extending vastly beyond crossover. It's like epic doomened thrash/punkified speed metal that sounds like nothing less than this



it's highly original and catchy and badass and I eat the brains from my enemy's head, I proudly wear their scalps, I burn their towns to the ground, to me the prisoners bow
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,135
Default

And those vocals are ****ing immense.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Am I the only one that feels like the album club favors albums that people know already? I just listened to all of this album for the first time and enjoyed it, but I'm not going to rate it a 10 and I never would have, because I haven't had the time to build a closer relationship with the album, so a 10 is automatically out of the question for anything I don't know already.

I actually didn't know this band was a Peter Steele project. One of the first songs on the album had me thinking that this sounded a bit Type O Negative related. Then another song comes on and I'm wondering if they've talked Peter Steele into dropping a few lines. Then I finally wake up and realise it's not just a feature. Several moments on this album really do sound like early Type O Negative. A few even approach later Type O Negative.
I actually really like the first album by Steele's other, more famous band, so the raw, punk and hardcore infused vibe of Carnivore is quite appealing to me. The lyrics are silly in the best way and there's no shortage of energy and atmosphere. It's a fun and engaging album.

It's an 8 from me. This is probably the best score any album I'm new to can hope for. Unless it's got that immediately mindblowing quality where an album just somehow strikes a nerve in me on first listen. But that's immensely rare. All of these albums would stand a better chance if I had a year to live with them.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Well, duh! People were asked to submit five albums they consider classics. Naturally, they're not likely to submit unknown or obscure albums. That's the whole point.

Edit: Also, what album club? Thees ain't no steenking album club, senor! Thees ees Metal Classics!
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Am I the only one that feels like the album club favors albums that people know already? I just listened to all of this album for the first time and enjoyed it, but I'm not going to rate it a 10 and I never would have, because I haven't had the time to build a closer relationship with the album, so a 10 is automatically out of the question for anything I don't know already.
It's a classic album thread. Of course there are going to be a lot of familiar albums. Dur.

Quote:
I actually didn't know this band was a Peter Steele project. One of the first songs on the album had me thinking that this sounded a bit Type O Negative related. Then another song comes on and I'm wondering if they've talked Peter Steele into dropping a few lines. Then I finally wake up and realise it's not just a feature. Several moments on this album really do sound like early Type O Negative. A few even approach later Type O Negative.
I actually really like the first album by Steele's other, more famous band, so the raw, punk and hardcore infused vibe of Carnivore is quite appealing to me. The lyrics are silly in the best way and there's no shortage of energy and atmosphere. It's a fun and engaging album.

It's an 8 from me. This is probably the best score any album I'm new to can hope for. Unless it's got that immediately mindblowing quality where an album just somehow strikes a nerve in me on first listen. But that's immensely rare. All of these albums would stand a better chance if I had a year to live with them.
I'm still proud of you though.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
It's a classic album thread. Of course there are going to be a lot of familiar albums. Dur.
Yeah I'm aware of that, thank you. What I'm saying is that those inevitable, famous albums are likely to get higher averages since people know them in advance. More obscure picks have an uphill climb ahead of them in the ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm still proud of you though.
Thanks, I do my best. Well not really. But I do something.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene
 
Mondo Bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,592
Default

they're classics in the scene

unlike any of your picks

uncalled for burn
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
they're classics in the scene

unlike any of your picks

uncalled for burn
I appreciate Mic's taste in music for being unique but as far as metal he's wrongheaded and doesn't get the simple concept of it being "RARGH!!!" at it's core. There's plenty of room for taking it further than that but afaic if metal doesn't understand that basic concept then it's starting at a losing proposition.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.