Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2009, 05:38 AM   #21 (permalink)
16, so?
 
zeppy111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Africa
Posts: 630
Default

Pretty common but "freebird" is amazing!!!!
__________________


My Blog (album of the day): http://musicfromthesouth.blogspot.com
zeppy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
cheezyridr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: sunny canadia
Posts: 131
Default

it's a pretty common joke to shout freebird as a request at bar bands, wedding dj's and the like
cheezyridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
Groupie
 
clockworkmice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 27
Default

The part of freebird before the solo is good with that great slide guitar, but the solo isn't very interesting, doesn't do all that much for me.
clockworkmice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 13
Default

I like them well enough, not a mega fan or anything though I own all of the pre crash albums. I suppose Gary would be my fave member, he tends to get overlooked compared to Alan, Ed and Steve but I prefer Gary's playing to theirs. Favorite era was the time between Ed and Steve, honestly I wish they would have continued with the 2 guitar lineup instead of bringing Steve in.
67Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default Diversify your repertoire

One of my major gripes when it comes to Lynyrd Skynyrd is the selection of songs that are in the main rotation of classic rock radio. Free Bird is a decent song at 5 minutes, at 10:30 I want the south to secede again. Gimmie Two Steps and What's Your Name are the same damn song and both are grating somewhere around the 10,000th play. And the main riff of Sweet Home Alabama is so effed out Stairway to Heaven thinks it's cliche.

This wouldn't bother me if I didn't have a sort of sentimental adoration for the band and somewhere within in me. They didn't suck and they didn't write whining annoying hillbilly music, they were a fast paced, exciting rock and roll band. They have two excellent albums and a place in history for the foreseeable future. So...knock it off DJ's diversify your repertoire
__________________
Me, Myself and I United as One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #26 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
One of my major gripes when it comes to Lynyrd Skynyrd is the selection of songs that are in the main rotation of classic rock radio. Free Bird is a decent song at 5 minutes, at 10:30 I want the south to secede again. Gimmie Two Steps and What's Your Name are the same damn song and both are grating somewhere around the 10,000th play. And the main riff of Sweet Home Alabama is so effed out Stairway to Heaven thinks it's cliche.
This is very much a blanket statement.

Their music is simple and repetitive and they get too much radio play? It's not like you let out some huge cat out of the bag.

Everyone knows that I'm the number one supporter of super technical, complex, overblown, pretentious pomp rock. But I also like my share of the simple stuff. There's nothing wrong with being basic, Lynyrd Skynyrd were basic, but they did a damn good job, they had their own voice and they were by no means incompetent.

I still love my Free Bird. Probably because it's a little.... pomp? Yeah that's the word.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
This is very much a blanket statement.

Their music is simple and repetitive? It's not like you let out some huge cat out of the bag.
what do you mean blanket statement? Of what, the four most popular songs they have all of which I mentioned specific?

I don't follow.

And I never claimed to be rocking the boat with my take, just offering my observations
__________________
Me, Myself and I United as One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

i still think they hit the nail on the head with their breed of Southern rock. everywhere else i look there seems to be misgivings or variations in songwriting to the point where it sounds feeble and bleak. at least with Skynyrd there's some depth and constancy to the material that they wrote (and i gotta say, a lot of it is rather decent). they managed to blend hard rock and country together without sacrificing songwriting quality, something not many other acts could ever claim.

the only valid criticism you could really make for LS is they suffer from wanton overexposure, which really isn't anything within their control.
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #29 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

What I mean is you seem to criticize the songs for being simple and repetitive, but that's what rock n roll is, and I've never gotten the logic behind "once a great song is played on the radio thousands of times, it's no longer great".

"Simple and repetitive" is just the easy, cookie cutter criticism everyone makes of bands like Skynyrd and AC/DC because they can't find anything truly constructive to say. Having been in the company of many prog fans, I get that kinda stuff a lot. And I'm very tired of hearing it.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #30 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
What I mean is you seem to criticize the songs for being simple and repetitive, but that's what rock n roll is, and I've never gotten the logic behind "once a great song is played on the radio thousands of times, it's no longer great".

"Simple and repetitive" is just the easy, cookie cutter criticism everyone makes of bands like Skynyrd and AC/DC because they can't find anything truly constructive to say. Having been in the company of many prog fans, I get that kinda stuff a lot. And I'm very tired of hearing it.
I think if you read my post again, you'll see I'm not criticizing the band for being overly simple or repetitive. I am criticizing DJ's for melting a solid and deep music catalog down to four-seven songs which may or may not be their best anyway.

Whenever people think of Skynyrd they think they are Sweet Home\Free Bird and the like and nothing else. It sells them short as I noted.
__________________
Me, Myself and I United as One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
i prefer foreplay. the orgasm is overrated.
If you're posting in the music forums make sure to be thoughtful and expressive, if you're posting in the lounge ask yourself "is this something that adds to the conversation?" It's important to remember that a lot of people use each thread. You're probably not as funny or clever as you think, I know I'm not.

My Van Morrison Discography Thread
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.