Who deserves the title "The King of Rock and Roll"? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Who deserves the title "The King of Rock and Roll"?
Elvis Presley 103 41.53%
Chuck Berry 75 30.24%
Little Richard 14 5.65%
Neither 56 22.58%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #221 (permalink)
Justifiable Idiocracy
 
Bloozcrooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Moore View Post
Probably Elvis, it was kind of a stolen crown though, the originators were creating the crown and Elvis stole it from them when he introduced it to all the sheltered white kids.


And it was those white kids who created the majority of everything that spawned from rock, didn't they?

Also, I need to keep telling you if you took Hendrix out of the equation rock would have developed just fine. :P
I try not to let my unliking for Elvis over shadow my better judgment. I just cant bring myself to crown him The King.

Im sure Rock would have progressed without Hendrix. It just would have just been years behind.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Fuck you, bloozin! Your stupid thread too!
<DoctorSoft>: You know life is good when you take Viagra to jack off lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
- Hendrix didn't even play the blues that well -

Amongst Mb's Most
Hated
(Smiley Face)
Bloozcrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:45 AM   #222 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozinbloozin View Post

Im sure Rock would have progressed without Hendrix. It just would have just been years behind.
Why do you feel that way? I know you are going to provide me with evidence but...could you explain?

I feel like such a nubcake for asking this but what did Hendrix really contribute to rock as a whole?

His solos were pretty awesome but are you trying to say he created the whole idea of doing solos?
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:58 AM   #223 (permalink)
The Great Disappearer
 
Davey Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: URI Campus and Coventry, both in RI
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Why do you feel that way? I know you are going to provide me with evidence but...could you explain?

I feel like such a nubcake for asking this but what did Hendrix really contribute to rock as a whole?

His solos were pretty awesome but are you trying to say he created the whole idea of doing solos?
You're not a nubcake he just has a hangup about Hendrix, look at the avatar. Hendrix was on his own level, he was a big figure in the 60s, but didn't spawn nearly as much as other bands(The Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, The Velvet Underground, The Beatles, etc.)


I mean honestly, the equation for influence is how many bands sound like Hendrix or spawned off of his sound, or how many people were inspired to form bands because of him? The only category that Hendrix can claim is the latter, but inspiring people to play guitar isn't as big of an influence as sound, in my mind at least.
__________________
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Davey Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #224 (permalink)
Justifiable Idiocracy
 
Bloozcrooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Why do you feel that way? I know you are going to provide me with evidence but...could you explain?

I feel like such a nubcake for asking this but what did Hendrix really contribute to rock as a whole?

His solos were pretty awesome but are you trying to say he created the whole idea of doing solos?
Lol...no man im saying what he did for the guitar and sound of rock. Was way ahead of its time imo. The experimentation of distortion and effects along with the unique playing style of his. Is imitated and used by many artists today. He paved the way and open the door to many new sounds and ideas. Not just for Rock but other genre's as well.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Fuck you, bloozin! Your stupid thread too!
<DoctorSoft>: You know life is good when you take Viagra to jack off lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
- Hendrix didn't even play the blues that well -

Amongst Mb's Most
Hated
(Smiley Face)
Bloozcrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #225 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

it's more of influencing how guitars sound in rock, not really rock in general

and as for the King, the King died on his throne (presumably the toilet bowl) - Public Enemy paraphrased
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #226 (permalink)
The Great Disappearer
 
Davey Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: URI Campus and Coventry, both in RI
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozinbloozin View Post
Lol...no man im saying what he did for the guitar and sound of rock. Was way ahead of its time imo. The experimentation of distortion and effects along with the unique playing style of his. Is imitated and used by many artists today. He paved the way and open the door to many new sounds and ideas. Not just for Rock but other genre's as well.
Once again, I don't think your point holds that much weight when you're talking about other influences from other bands. I truly think you're a hopeless fanboy, so yeah, , why even bother?
__________________
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Davey Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #227 (permalink)
Justifiable Idiocracy
 
Bloozcrooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Moore View Post
Once again, I don't think your point holds that much weight when you're talking about other influences from other bands. I truly think you're a hopeless fanboy, so yeah, , why even bother?
How does my point not hold weight? Your saying that Hendrix didnt have that big of influence on Rock or other bands? Is that some kind of joke?
How do you become one of Rocks top artists of all time without influencing others around you?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Fuck you, bloozin! Your stupid thread too!
<DoctorSoft>: You know life is good when you take Viagra to jack off lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
- Hendrix didn't even play the blues that well -

Amongst Mb's Most
Hated
(Smiley Face)
Bloozcrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #228 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozinbloozin View Post
How does my point not hold weight? Your saying that Hendrix didnt have that big of influence on Rock or other bands? Is that some kind of joke?
How do you become one of Rocks top artists of all time without influencing others around you?
I dunno - are there any other rock bands playing metallish rock with a soul and funk vibe, besides Living Color and 24-7 Spyz?

he may have changed the way guitars sound or how guitarists play, but not much on the style of rock, compared to, say, The Beatless and The Stoned and The Beards and The Bitch Boys
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #229 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozinbloozin View Post
How does my point not hold weight? Your saying that Hendrix didnt have that big of influence on Rock or other bands? Is that some kind of joke?
How do you become one of Rocks top artists of all time without influencing others around you?
There is some logic fallacy going on here.

Yes, he was great and unique at the time and yes he inspired some people to pick up a guitar and try to learn to do what he does but I don't being one of Rock's top artist has to do with his unique style at the time not because he influenced so many other bands to do what they do.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #230 (permalink)
Justifiable Idiocracy
 
Bloozcrooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
I dunno - are there any other rock bands playing metallish rock with a soul and funk vibe, besides Living Color and 24-7 Spyz?

he may have changed the way guitars sound or how guitarists play, but not much on the style of rock, compared to, say, The Beatless and The Stoned and The Beards and The Bitch Boys
Way to Google the variety of genre's he incorporated in his sound. I doubt anyone could find a way to fuse all those together the way he did. However the fact that he was being creative with these sounds as early on as he was. Leaves little room to misconstrue the fact that he was in fact influential. In more than just one way he contributed and left his mark on the music world. Also by changing the way guitar sounded and establishing new technique he was changing the style of Rock. Im not saying every band from then on mimicked his sound or play. But it did indeed leave its mark on rock.
I do agree with the fact the Beatles had more influence but anybody with any music knowledge at all knows that. As far as the total number of bands he did influence..how is there an accurate way to speculate on that? There are many though that have a distinct sound or style that screams Hendrix when they play.

Oh and Spy's are pansies imo

Besides with the exception of Davey you and D.J are just trollin but its cool. I dont get bent out of shape about lil stuff. I stand by Hendrix and Yes im probaly a hopeless fan boy. Thats what it is to truly be a fan of something. Im not however losing my sense of reasoning and logic. Of course the Beatles had more influence than Hendrix did but the initial debate was Elvis being crowned the king. So in comparison other than his mass popularity..no doubt cause of the marketing aspect of things and time of which he came about. I wouldnt place him over Hendrix for the King of Rock title. He was an image not so much an artist or experimenter or lyricist.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Fuck you, bloozin! Your stupid thread too!
<DoctorSoft>: You know life is good when you take Viagra to jack off lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
- Hendrix didn't even play the blues that well -

Amongst Mb's Most
Hated
(Smiley Face)

Last edited by Bloozcrooz; 04-07-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Bloozcrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.