Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #111 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

The 90s

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
Loveless
Spiderland
Nevermind
Richard D James Album
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Bee Thousand
American Football
69 Love Songs
Lonesome Crowded West
Illmatic
Ok Computer
Siamese Dream
etc.

My favourite time for music, and for film as well come to think of it.
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #112 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,380
Default

NMH and MM may have had albums then, but no one was talking about them except the real musical crate-divers. We didn't really have the internet then and so too many people where just out in the dark.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #113 (permalink)
FUNky
 
Violent & Funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Midland, MI
Posts: 2,474
Default

"Mainstream" music wasn't that bad for parts of the 1990s. All of these bands were popular sellers that still maintained at least some artistic integrity:

RHCP
Nirvana
Smashing Pumpkins
Dinosaur Jr.
Primus
Incubus
311
KoRn
RATM
Weezer
Green Day
The Offspring
Tool
Faith No More
Sonic Youth

(I make this list like once a month, don't I? You guys are probably really tired of me)

Also, plenty of great hip-hop during this time. And those are just the ones I like from my collection. There are plenty of others...
__________________
http://www.last.fm/user/ohio0808

sometimes I don't thrill you
sometimes I think I'll kill you
just don't let me fuck up will you
'cause when I need a friend it's still you
Violent & Funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:26 AM   #114 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent & Funky View Post
"Mainstream" music wasn't that bad for parts of the 1990s. All of these bands were popular sellers that still maintained at least some artistic integrity:

RHCP
Nirvana
Smashing Pumpkins
Dinosaur Jr.
Primus
Incubus
311
KoRn
RATM
Weezer
Green Day
The Offspring
Tool
Faith No More
Sonic Youth

(I make this list like once a month, don't I? You guys are probably really tired of me)

Also, plenty of great hip-hop during this time. And those are just the ones I like from my collection. There are plenty of others...
It's funny to me when I see a list like this because it's so obviously written by someone who doesn't remember the 90s very well. While it's true that bands like Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., Primus and Faith No More did okay in the 90s, they were not at all what the average high school kid was listening to. Some of those other bands, like 311, Korn, Green Day, The Offspring and 90s era Chili Peppers were low points, not high points of the decade. And Incubus was much more popular in the 00s than the 90s.

But the most important thing to keep in mind about the experience of living in the 90s is how far from representative that list is from the music that was really moving units back then. The biggest hits were by people like Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey and Puffy Daddy. Hell, one the biggest songs of the decade was "The Macarena" for fuck's sake.

All of this is not to say that the 90s didn't have good music, of course it did. Hip hop, trip hop, IDM, post-rock, etc., etc., there was tons of great stuff going on mostly outside the limelight. I'm just saying that living through the 90s was far from the musically mind-blowing experience you guys seem to think it was.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:52 AM   #115 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,380
Default

Yeah, rock did seem to die out there at the end for all intents and purposes. There was some Tuesday in either 2000 or 2001 (maybe '02) where albums were released by

TOOL (Lateralus)
Weezer (Green Album)
and Staind (Break the Cycle?)

And as someone who listened to Rock radio, you really felt like it was making a comeback. I think we should make a list of all the really ****ty stuff that was killing it then. Like that Bartender song. I wish I could remember who did that Piece of ****.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:54 AM   #116 (permalink)
Cardboard Box Realtor
 
LoathsomePete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hobb's End
Posts: 7,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Yeah, rock did seem to die out there at the end for all intents and purposes. There was some Tuesday in either 2000 or 2001 (maybe '02) where albums were released by

TOOL (Lateralus)
Weezer (Green Album)
and Staind (Break the Cycle?)

And as someone who listened to Rock radio, you really felt like it was making a comeback. I think we should make a list of all the really ****ty stuff that was killing it then. Like that Bartender song. I wish I could remember who did that Piece of ****.
"Sittin' At a Bar" by Rehab maybe?
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #117 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoathsomePete View Post
"Sittin' At a Bar" by Rehab maybe?
No, it was worse.

I just googled it: Hed pe - Hey Bartender

Absolute Shit Masterpiece.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #118 (permalink)
FUNky
 
Violent & Funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Midland, MI
Posts: 2,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It's funny to me when I see a list like this because it's so obviously written by someone who doesn't remember the 90s very well. While it's true that bands like Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., Primus and Faith No More did okay in the 90s, they were not at all what the average high school kid was listening to. Some of those other bands, like 311, Korn, Green Day, The Offspring and 90s era Chili Peppers were low points, not high points of the decade. And Incubus was much more popular in the 00s than the 90s.

But the most important thing to keep in mind about the experience of living in the 90s is how far from representative that list is from the music that was really moving units back then. The biggest hits were by people like Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey and Puffy Daddy. Hell, one the biggest songs of the decade was "The Macarena" for fuck's sake.

All of this is not to say that the 90s didn't have good music, of course it did. Hip hop, trip hop, IDM, post-rock, etc., etc., there was tons of great stuff going on mostly outside the limelight. I'm just saying that living through the 90s was far from the musically mind-blowing experience you guys seem to think it was.
First of all, I was born in 1990 so yeah, I don't "remember" the 90s very well. Excuse me for still trying to join in on the conversation.

I don't know why we are talking about Top 40 radio. I don't give a **** about Top 40 radio, it almost always sucks. But mainstream *rock* radio was as great as it has ever been. A band like Primus went platinum *twice* for ****s sake. That is success, no matter how you try to twist it. Yeah, there was no internet, but MTV also didn't completely ignore the underground back then. Dinosaur Jr. and Sonic Youth had very successful videos on MTV, while they were also giving indie legends like Pavement and Superchunk a nugget from time-to-time too.

You really have a misguided impression of what a "low point" is if you think those bands were the low point. Blood Sugar Sex Magik, KoRn, Dookie, Smash, and 311 are all very well respected albums that sold extremely well. I think its simply elitist to brush off such acts. Plus: Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, and RATM were all clearly in the mainstream and awesome bands.

And you just completely ignored that the 90s were one part of the Golden Era of Hip Hop and plenty of those artists were in the mainstream...
__________________
http://www.last.fm/user/ohio0808

sometimes I don't thrill you
sometimes I think I'll kill you
just don't let me fuck up will you
'cause when I need a friend it's still you
Violent & Funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #119 (permalink)
Groupie
 
jesslovesmusic89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 1
Default Definitely...

I always feel that way and I was actually just talking to a friend about it this weekend. I was born at the end of the 80s, so I grew up with 90s music, which I do love, but I'm also stuck with today's talentless bands and artists. Not all of the current bands/artists out there today are awful, there are always exceptions, but blah.. I'd be happier if I had been a young adult in the 60s 70s or even 90s. But what can you do
jesslovesmusic89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #120 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,380
Default

You're from Brooklyn and you'd want to be born in some other time? You're in the hive of up-and-coming. What the hell?
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.