Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Living under the bridge
 
TheNiceGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 316
Default The Jam

Decided to have a look for a thread on The Jam and it couldn't find any! So what do you guys think of The Jam?

If you haven't heard of them here is some info
The Jam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are a few of their better known tracks






__________________
My Music Review Blog-It's Only Rock 'n' Roll

There is no Dark Side of the Moon really, matter of fact it's all dark...
TheNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

I grew up listening to the Jam and loved them back in the early 1980s and their three best albums were All Mod Cons, Setting Sons and Sound Affects and most of their tracks had some real attitude and always interesting lyrics, but then around the mid 1980s I completely went off them and have never liked them since. I think the problem is, that I find Paul Wellers vocals a huge turn-off and I find a lot of their lyrics focusing on political and social commentary in the UK at that time very dated now. They were a band of their era and that`s about it really. I think Roxy Music were far better and timeless than the Jam could ever be
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

i got their entire discography based on this thread

i have a comp (Gold) and like it a lot, sorta reminds me of a Who/Kinks updated
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
i got their entire discography based on this thread

i have a comp (Gold) and like it a lot, sorta reminds me of a Who/Kinks updated
And the energy of punk thrown in. Also very early Jam had a soul influence which Paul Weller would properly explore on his next project after the Jam with the Style Council.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

@Il Duce, in reference to your tube station experience on the other thread, this is probably one of the the Jams best and most iconic songs.


The Jam , Down In The Tube Station At Midnight - YouTube
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Living under the bridge
 
TheNiceGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I grew up listening to the Jam and loved them back in the early 1980s and their three best albums were All Mod Cons, Setting Sons and Sound Affects and most of their tracks had some real attitude and always interesting lyrics, but then around the mid 1980s I completely went off them and have never liked them since. I think the problem is, that I find Paul Wellers vocals a huge turn-off and I find a lot of their lyrics focusing on political and social commentary in the UK at that time very dated now. They were a band of their era and that`s about it really. I think Roxy Music were far better and timeless than the Jam could ever be
I honestly love Weller's vocals, if only because I sing like him. But I do like that gritty style that he brings. It feels natural and earthy to me, and to be honest I don't think The Jam's songs would suit a higher pitched vocalist.
__________________
My Music Review Blog-It's Only Rock 'n' Roll

There is no Dark Side of the Moon really, matter of fact it's all dark...
TheNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
I honestly love Weller's vocals, if only because I sing like him. But I do like that gritty style that he brings. It feels natural and earthy to me, and to be honest I don't think The Jam's songs would suit a higher pitched vocalist.
His voice suited the music, but I went off him when he started with the Style Council, so I guess that`s the problem. Anyway what do you think is their best album?
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Living under the bridge
 
TheNiceGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
His voice suited the music, but I went off him when he started with the Style Council, so I guess that`s the problem. Anyway what do you think is their best album?
All Mod Cons, but I haven't listened to Sound Affects yet.
__________________
My Music Review Blog-It's Only Rock 'n' Roll

There is no Dark Side of the Moon really, matter of fact it's all dark...
TheNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
The Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 803
Default

They're brilliant, listened a lot to them 2-3 years ago. In the City and All Mod Cons are my favourite albums.
__________________
Now another stranger seems to want you to ignore his dreams as though they were the burden of some other

The Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
All Mod Cons, but I haven't listened to Sound Affects yet.
Sound Affects is regarded as their most accomplished as its seen as being a bit more diverse. I`ve always had a soft spot for Setting Sons though.

Setting Sons> All Mod Cons> Sound Affects> In the City> This is the Modern World> The Gift
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.