Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock (https://www.musicbanter.com/rock-n-roll-classic-rock-60s-rock/)
-   -   Tony Iommi or Jimmy Page? (https://www.musicbanter.com/rock-n-roll-classic-rock-60s-rock/60563-tony-iommi-jimmy-page.html)

blastingas10 01-24-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RezZ (Post 1146044)
If you dont think Page was one of the biggest influences in nearly ever blues rock player today your kidding yourself. Sure he wasnt Hendrix, but was about as close as one could get.

Exactly, he wasn't Hendrix. But ya he's certainly up there.

Electrophonic Tonic 01-24-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RezZ (Post 1146009)
Listen to any 2 rock guitarists and their will be similarities. Lets face it though, Page is known or helping write the book on blues rock. Iommi wrote the book on metal nearly single handedly. If you want similar listen to Rush's first album. Working Man could have been Iommi playing.

'Working Man' feels more like Rush doing a Led Zeppelin impression to me. The structure feels more like a Led Zeppelin II outtake and the riff sounds like something Jimmy Page wrote, but Tony Iommi played... if that makes sense.

Unknown Soldier 01-26-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrophonic Tonic (Post 1146078)
'Working Man' feels more like Rush doing a Led Zeppelin impression to me. The structure feels more like a Led Zeppelin II outtake and the riff sounds like something Jimmy Page wrote, but Tony Iommi played... if that makes sense.

Early Rush were often compared to Led Zeppelin, problem was though they just weren't as good as Led Zeppelin and hence the move into their more familiar prog direction.

FRED HALE SR. 01-26-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier (Post 1146661)
Early Rush were often compared to Led Zeppelin, problem was though they just weren't as good as Led Zeppelin and hence the move into their more familiar prog direction.

I'd take Rush a hundred times over in comparison with Led Zeppelin.

Necromancer 01-26-2012 01:35 PM

When Neil Peart joined Rush, they more or less lead own way, with individual sound, style of progressive rock. Unlike the more Blues/Rock of Led Zeppelin.

Unknown Soldier 01-26-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRED HALE SR. (Post 1146664)
I'd take Rush a hundred times over in comparison with Led Zeppelin.

You think the first couple of Rush albums compare to one of the classic Led Zep albums?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necromancer (Post 1146669)
When Neil Peart joined Rush, they more or less lead own way, with individual sound, style of progressive rock. Unlike the more Blues/Rock of Led Zeppelin.

I'm surprised you didn't take this opportunity to mention Caress of Steel again.:laughing:

Necromancer 01-26-2012 03:59 PM

I will mention Alex Lifeson. More often underrated in comparison to the popularity of Iommi and Page.

Unknown Soldier 01-26-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necromancer (Post 1146708)
I will mention Alex Lifeson. More often underrated in comparison to the popularity of Iommi and Page.

Often the least appeciated member of Rush as well.

Dr_Rez 01-27-2012 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier (Post 1146711)
Often the least appeciated member of Rush as well.

Not among guitar fans. Anyone who is a musician always says great things about him. Its everyone else that doesnt. Its because he doesnt fit the rockstar personality and look. Kind of sad really.

blastingas10 01-27-2012 09:35 AM

Lifeson is a very good guitarist.

I've been listening to sabbath all this morning. I think iommi owns page. He can play just as fast, if not faster. He had a great style. He played so many great, classic riffs. He is the king of the heavy riff. He was a pioneer, one of the first to drop his tuning down, which became a big part of heavy metal. You can hear some heavy palm muted riffs in some sabbath songs. Of course the palm muted riffing would become a signature part of heavy metal. I can't think of anyone that was doing that before him. Iommi all the way.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:50 PM.


© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.